JPGS look different in Photoshop then Windows picture viewer

Started Sep 26, 2007 | Discussions
Paul Sobkiewicz Forum Member • Posts: 60
JPGS look different in Photoshop then Windows picture viewer

Why do jpgs look different color wise in Photoshop then they do in Windows Picture Viewer? I color corrected a bunch of NEFs in camera raw and converted them to jpgs. Once done, I went to view them in windows picture viewer and they looked horrible. The colors were really washed out and dull. I opened the same jpg in Photoshop, and it looked great.. Any ideas? I tried it on 2 computers with the same results. Thanks!

Paul

Odessa Contributing Member • Posts: 872
Re: JPGS look different in Photoshop then Windows picture viewer

It's because in Photoshop your pictures are displayed in a different color profile than in Windows picture viewer. In Photoshop, before you save to JPG, convert them to a different profile (I convert them to sRGB...). That should fix that, although, it will lack sharpness because Windows picture viewer isn't so good for viewing photos at its best quality.

Gary J Jensen Senior Member • Posts: 2,204
Re: JPEG Viewing Differences...

Paul Sobkiewicz wrote:

Why do jpgs look different color wise in Photoshop then they do in
Windows Picture Viewer? I color corrected a bunch of NEFs in camera
raw and converted them to jpgs. Once done, I went to view them in
windows picture viewer and they looked horrible. The colors were
really washed out and dull. I opened the same jpg in Photoshop, and
it looked great.. Any ideas? I tried it on 2 computers with the
same results. Thanks!

Were you working in AdobeRGB in Photoshop?

If so, when you converted to JPEG, did you also remember to convert the colorspace to sRGB?

OP Paul Sobkiewicz Forum Member • Posts: 60
Re: JPEG Viewing Differences...

That did it. Thanks!

wilfredmrand Senior Member • Posts: 2,340
Color profiling - bane of the digital world

For starters, the default mac (1.8, brighter) and pc (2.2) gamma settings are different. On older macs, the color engine rendered in a wider gamut, but current versions of photoshop override the smaller, older windows gamut. Newer PC's and look to render the same color gamut as Mac.

Oh, you want practical advice? OK, set your camera to Adobe RGB (most printers can't see this wider color gamut, or universe....yet; but they will.) Then set your Photoshop default color settings to this same setting, adobe RGB. You should also follow the manual colorsync procedure for calibrating your monitor, and you can also set your Mac and PC gamma to the same setting. (I leave my Macs at 1.8, I set the PC's to 2.0).

In my company, where I manage visual assets, our largest HP printers have a setting for the AdobeRGB workflow - but not sRGB - and the HP produces better, richer, and more nuanced color that when the same file is sent as sRGB. (Once your file is stripped down to sRGB and saved, there is no getting that wider color gamut back.)

We also have Canon photo printers. We continue to preview in AdobeRGB on the PCs and Macs, but set the output profile to one of the Canon profiles - and get fabulous results that way. Print matches the screen better than any other combination I've used.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads