D70: no PS editing out-of-the box perfect images?

Started Sep 25, 2007 | Discussions
monographix
monographix Regular Member • Posts: 484
D70: no PS editing out-of-the box perfect images?

Hello

I have been having my first digital camera, D70, for some time now, and no matter what settings and format i shoot i am finding that i need to use photoshop levels (auto levels, auto color etc) family of processing to live up and balance the usually dulled out images. No matter what, it seems theres always curves room for autolevels to work with .... sometimes i even needed to do a lot of custom editing to bring the image to its intended potential.

Are there ways to have D70 images virtually not needing any processing out-of-the-box (-camera) ?

i suspect this must have been an old and trivial question but the search function hasnt been much of a help (or i am just dumber than the average user the coders of the search module had in mind)

monographix's gear list:monographix's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +6 more
RAL Veteran Member • Posts: 6,377
Re: D70: no PS editing out-of-the box perfect images?

I have had a D70 since they first came out and I don't have an answer for you I'm afraid. I hate post processing and used many of my images straight out of my D70 but most could have been improved with pp. I recently bought a D40 just for its small size to suppliment my other bodies and find that I no longer use the D70 for anything. I am perfectly happy with it's images straight from the camera. I know this isn't the answer you were after, but resale isn't that bad on a D70 and D40's are pretty cheap. I am trying to sell my D70 and will purchase a second D40 if I manage to get it sold.

pavi1 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,852

A good start would be to post your setting under "Optimize Image". Also what mode do you use mostly.

monographix wrote:

Hello

I have been having my first digital camera, D70, for some time now,
and no matter what settings and format i shoot i am finding that i
need to use photoshop levels (auto levels, auto color etc) family of
processing to live up and balance the usually dulled out images. No
matter what, it seems theres always curves room for autolevels to
work with .... sometimes i even needed to do a lot of custom editing
to bring the image to its intended potential.

Are there ways to have D70 images virtually not needing any
processing out-of-the-box (-camera) ?

i suspect this must have been an old and trivial question but the
search function hasnt been much of a help (or i am just dumber than
the average user the coders of the search module had in mind)

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning

Spikeymaster
Spikeymaster Senior Member • Posts: 1,317

There are quite a few things you can do with the D70 to improve its image output. It would be good if you could post a picture so we can see your problems.

Just out of interest, I use mine with a D50normal custom curve uploaded, hue -3, color mode aRGB, and sharpening... but I think it depends on what you like.

Todd.
--

• ToneUp Author -

http://www.ToneUpStudio.com

• Gallery -

http://www.OxfordEye.co.uk

Arrowman Senior Member • Posts: 1,727

First off, as others have said - please post examples. It's impossible to offer advice without examples.

Also, what exposure settings / programs are you using?

monographix wrote:

You seem to be assuming that there's some sort of generic answer to the question "how to get the D70 to produce good images out of the camera?". There isn't.

Yes. Get better at using your camera

That's not meant to be rude, BTW. It's just that you seem to be starting from the assumption that the camera is at fault, or at least that there is some sort of special combination of settings that will make it work in a foolproof fashion. And that is very rarely the case. (Unless you actually have a faulty camera, of course.)

-- hide signature --

monographix
OP monographix Regular Member • Posts: 484

i will post soon some average typical sample of camera output with default settings, my settings, and the photoshop auto corrections

i usually shoot like that :

• Raw (because i dont shoot much and i experiment then a lot especialy with the white balance)

• IIIa sRGB

• Aperture Priority

• WB: usually Auto (-2)

• Sharpen: medium high (+1)

• Contrast: medium high (+1)

• Saturation: enhanced

• hue: 0

Those give me a bit more interesting results than the default settings but still photoshop auto levels will be necessary. I wonder if maybe its possible to translate somehow the way photoshop is using to level out an image into D70 custom curving ...

Nikon D500 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +6 more
Fit Regular Member • Posts: 158

u forget to increase the exposure by +0.3 to +0.7 since D70/D70s tend to underexpose for it pro level metering.

monographix wrote:

i will post soon some average typical sample of camera output with
default settings, my settings, and the photoshop auto corrections

i usually shoot like that :

• Raw (because i dont shoot much and i experiment then a lot

especialy with the white balance)

• IIIa sRGB

• Aperture Priority

• WB: usually Auto (-2)

• Sharpen: medium high (+1)

• Contrast: medium high (+1)

• Saturation: enhanced

• hue: 0

Those give me a bit more interesting results than the default
settings but still photoshop auto levels will be necessary. I wonder
if maybe its possible to translate somehow the way photoshop is using
to level out an image into D70 custom curving ...

de_klaas Senior Member • Posts: 1,360

Are we talking JPEG or RAW?

If you're using RAW your custom settings will be discarded in any 3rd party product.
Only Capture NX uses them.

-- hide signature --
 de_klaas's gear list:de_klaas's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
jkjond
jkjond Veteran Member • Posts: 8,477

Yeh, I used to think the out of camera settings are lousy and less pp is the way to go.

I don't know the solution to your problem, but I'd recommend you research custom curves. There are plenty available, a search on here will offer lots of links where you can download them plus other information.

The other thing to search for on here is shooting weddings. Weddings typically consist of hundreds of photos where few will be offered the luxury of pp, so in camera settings need to be optimal. Sam Stern in particular has excellent advice, though I think most will depend on use of a fill flash.

I've now come to realise that the 70 is set very well for capturing data which can be processed into splendid images. Think more wet darkroom black and white, rather than shooting transparency film. I've stated from the start that I'd never recommend a D70 to anyone unless I knew they were up to its challenge.

Long Lam Regular Member • Posts: 302

sorry to hear you're not having much joy with your D70. a few things come to mind;

1) have you upgraded to the latest firmware version? i believe there are a few for the D70 to make it the same as the D70s, apart from the physical differences of course! improved AF performance and few other things in the menus as far as i remember. i have a D70s so haven't thought about this much.

2) which lens are you using? lenses make a lot of difference. i had for a short while a Nikon 35-70mm and had to turn up the EV a little when compared to my other lenses. and when using the 50mm f1.8 AF, everything was as good as can be expected.

i'd also agree with the poster who recommends using the Optimise Image settings to get your desired results.

out of the box settings are never perfect, but this is the way most dSLRs are designed. the D70s in particular is set for under exposure if anything.

the D40 has been highly optimised to give its intended market 'punch' right out of the box. but if you look closely, you will find that it's just the default settings are different (e.g. colour mode is IIIa as default which may have an effect):
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD40/page2.asp

compared to the D70:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD70/page2.asp

Long.

monographix wrote:
Hello

I have been having my first digital camera, D70, for some time now,
and no matter what settings and format i shoot i am finding that i
need to use photoshop levels (auto levels, auto color etc) family of
processing to live up and balance the usually dulled out images. No
matter what, it seems theres always curves room for autolevels to
work with .... sometimes i even needed to do a lot of custom editing
to bring the image to its intended potential.

monographix

its not that am not happy. i got it last year used in perfect condition with its kit 18-70 and despite of the D40/X arrival in very competitive prices it looks like i am going to stay with this one, i really like it.

this is the lens i use more often together with the Nikon 70-210 / 4-5.6 D from my Nikon film set.

Its just that i feel theres some way of making it produce images out of the box that my eye wont judge as "smoked" "dull" 'weak whites" "under" "cyanish" etc and photoshop autolevels wont have anything to fix much and i havent discovered that way yet

Like said above D70 raw images are very good material for post processing manipulation to perfection and despite that i am immensely impressed by and using Capture for my D70 images (besides the 24/7s i spent on photoshop being a graphic designer) i still need to find a way to make D70 produce images able to resist photoshops autoleveling especially in ocasiions when i have to store and publish whole bunch of pictures

monographix

firmware is 2.0

austin mcgowan Contributing Member • Posts: 634

Don't worry. don't sell your d70 as it is a great camera. I have both the d70s and the d40 and I like the pictures from the d70s better most of the time. I might have a bad d40. But anyway, try these simple things on your d70. post back your results. Use a, s , or p, mode not auto. In optimize image set color to ia for people, or iiia for landscape. I use ia and saturation + almost all the time. set sharpenss +1. In white balance, set to auto -2. And set expsoure to +.03.

Laslo Varadi
Laslo Varadi Veteran Member • Posts: 4,886
Use and EC of + 0.3 or 0.7

That should eliminated the need for auto levels most of the time.
--
Laslo
http://www.digitalexpressionsphotography.com

Laslo Varadi's gear list:Laslo Varadi's gear list
Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +7 more
monographix

austin mcgowan wrote:

Don't worry. don't sell your d70 as it is a great camera. I have
both the d70s and the d40 and I like the pictures from the d70s
better most of the time. I might have a bad d40. But anyway, try
these simple things on your d70. post back your results. Use a, s ,
or p, mode not auto. In optimize image set color to ia for people,
or iiia for landscape. I use ia and saturation + almost all the
time. set sharpenss +1. In white balance, set to auto -2. And set
expsoure to +.03.

remind me, what colours are Ia & IIIa emphasize on respectively?

de_klaas Senior Member • Posts: 1,360

Here's an interseting thread:
http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID86/15189.html#0

I use these setting with 2 exceptions:

• I uploaded the White Wedding II custom curve;

• I have sharpening set to auto because I sharpen after resizing anyway (and I've seen some nasty halo's with higher levels of in-camera sharpening).

I use EC +0.3 as a start. Simply try to expose to the right for best results.

-- hide signature --
 de_klaas's gear list:de_klaas's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
Joey Camacho Regular Member • Posts: 248

RAL,

I'd love to talk to you about your D70.
--
D40
15-55mm EDII
50mm D 1.8
55-200mm ED
SB-600
manfrotto tri 718b

Spikeymaster
Spikeymaster Senior Member • Posts: 1,317

Actually, ToneUp respects in-camera settings as well... and it uploads curves to the camera too !

Todd.
--

• ToneUp Author -

http://www.ToneUpStudio.com

• Gallery -

http://www.OxfordEye.co.uk

victor beato Senior Member • Posts: 1,974
dad_of_four Veteran Member • Posts: 8,233
IIRC, the D70 has a Direct Print mode

This mode is designed to allow the user to take a picture, and then put the CF card into a photo-printer and press PRINT.
--
Warm regards,
DOF

dad_of_four's gear list:dad_of_four's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D5000 Nikon D2Xs Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads