Reached 100 copies sold of one photo

Started Sep 22, 2007 | Discussions
Sander NL Regular Member • Posts: 288
Reached 100 copies sold of one photo

Today it happened...on Shutterstock I sold the 100th copy of my best selling photo. A few others should reach this milestone soon.

Slough Senior Member • Posts: 1,809
Re: Reached 100 copies sold of one photo

Is it really worth bothering when the price per sale is so small? And then you have to pay income tax. I can see why pro photographers are unhappy amount microstock agencies.

sonyprofessional Senior Member • Posts: 1,536

Congratulations, but..

..you earned $26.35?? That's nothing. I'm afraid I agree with the previous poster - it's just not worth it.

Jarle

Kent Johnson Veteran Member • Posts: 5,354

Hi Sander,
Congratulations. I think you could do a lot better on iStockPhoto, though.

Anyway, what a lot of people don't get is that 150 bucks for doing "nothing" is good money. In other words, incremental revenue. Especially if you enjoy shooting, which I know you do.

If I can get to collecting 1000 a month from iStock, I'll be very happy indeed. If I can get to 1k, I can get to 5k in time with relatively little sweat. Where I live that's good money.
Best of luck to you,
-Kent

John McLellan Regular Member • Posts: 112

You missing the whole point... why bother with micro-stock when stock photograph libraries can earn you $100 - 5000 per photo? That is one sale not a hundred. Imagine if this one photo earns you royalties or is sold 100 times at 1000% the amount of micro stock libraries... The potential is endless.

What it means though is you have to set up salable, original and creative projects. You need to understand stock photography trends and shoot for seasons before it happens. It also means you need a larger mega pixel camera, professional lenses, studio equipment and money for professional models. Last but the most important one is... you need to meet strict requirements. They short list you from 1000 photographer applications whom where short listed from 20,000 photographer applications and further short listed to 20 accepted applications. They will ask you to submit 50 to 100 photos on one specific subject and these sample photographs need to be the best of the bunch. Once accepted some places charge per upload, annual membership fees or monthly. They also take 50-60 per cent of the sale, but usually the sale is priced quite high anywhere from $300 and above.

So why waste time with micro stock... prepare yourself for big, better and widely used stock photo libraries.

I'm doing it...

Kent Johnson wrote:

Hi Sander,
Congratulations. I think you could do a lot better on iStockPhoto,
though.
Anyway, what a lot of people don't get is that 150 bucks for doing
"nothing" is good money. In other words, incremental revenue.
Especially if you enjoy shooting, which I know you do.
If I can get to collecting 1000 a month from iStock, I'll be very
happy indeed. If I can get to 1k, I can get to 5k in time with
relatively little sweat. Where I live that's good money.
Best of luck to you,
-Kent

RudivanS Veteran Member • Posts: 4,482

So?
--
Rudi -
15 years in Blade Runner Tokyo - back in Sunny Sydney now

RudivanS's gear list:RudivanS's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D810 Olympus PEN-F Nikon D5 Canon Pixma Pro-10
Beau Long Contributing Member • Posts: 972

Wow... give the guy a break. How many of you are earning $$ with your photography?

Congrats! That's something to feel good about. Your work is meaningful to others.

OP Sander NL Regular Member • Posts: 288

I don't do it for the money....it's more the fun checking every day to see how many images I've sold.

If someone maintains stock portfolios for a regular income they need to spend far more time on it than I do. I have a little over 500 photo's on-line. Very little compared to some stock "pro's".

drobcheck Forum Member • Posts: 75

hmmm... 26cents a copy. thats not really what I would like my photos be worth.

but if you are happy with it, thats great. keep on doing, maybe in couple of years you will be able to pay what you invested into photography today
ps: dont take my post too serious

Ronnie Gaubert Senior Member • Posts: 1,267

Congrats Sander,
What size images do you upload to that site?

I think averaging .25 to .50 cents per image is sort of rediculous but images just sitting in your files and not generating any money is also rediculous. If it's not a lot of effort to upload and get your images accepted, than why not make a few dollars. I assume you have to submit you images and get them approved is that correct?

Ronnie
--
http://www.pbase.com/ronnie_14187

It's less about the subject and more about the composition & light- Ronnie Gaubert.

ThomasMiller Senior Member • Posts: 2,735

First of all, CONGRATS! That's the correct response here.

It doesn't matter what your photos are making, since most of the people here have photos that are earning ZERO.

GOOD FOR YOU!

Thomas

Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 27,665
Undercutting the working pro?

You are selling your photos for 26 CENTS apiece???? Geez, I get $150 to $500. This sort of thing is what takes money out of the pockets of pros.

I am not faulting you, but all the agencies that run this sort of give away. Kind of like Uncle Fred taking wedding pictures for $50 and free drinks.

Your photos are very interesting, and your top photo, wiith the right agency, might have made you thousands by now. One sale of this shot would bring you $150 to $300. One sale. With far less trouble. 26 cents? Unreal and bad business. Why not give them away and maybe reach 200???

Steve Bingham
http://www.dustylens.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon D7200 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +32 more
Daniel Roos Regular Member • Posts: 243
ehm...

I'd be really scared if I weren't payed more for each image I shoot.
Then it would be time to seek out a new profession.

...perhaps the low current value of the dollar plays a part of it, but I doubt it...

Daniel Roos's gear list:Daniel Roos's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7000 Nikon D700 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +7 more
Cerumen
Cerumen Senior Member • Posts: 1,979

Congrats on your 100th sale. I know the feeling; I'm in microstock myself.

No one can convince me that this isn't a perfect way to challenge my photo passion. I earn a few hundred dollars every month (from just one agency) and I've only been doing this for 10 months.

The whole stock industry is changing, and I know that many pros feel that microstock is killing their industry. If the stock world is so fragile that amateurs can viably sell their shots to the same market as that sold by established professionals, then it questions the product of the professionals.

Business changes, the world changes. MP3 changed the recording industry, and the web has changed stock. I think there will always be a Getty and a Corbis, but for all the small shop designers who need an image of some fruit or a kid blowing bubbles, they should have a place where they can buy a quality image for a few dollars. It makes sense, and that's why Shutterstock and iStockphoto have taken off. It's a great business for the companies and the contributors and the buyers.

However, since this is such an incendiary topic, I seldom sing its praises on anonymous message boards. So I quietly enjoy a new revenue stream, buy the lenses and bodies I want (OK, maybe not a D3), and my mind is always buzzing about the next stock image.
I've never loved this hobby more, and I've been shooting for 25 years.
--
Eric
My stock stuff:
Go here: http://www.istockphoto.com/edelmar and click on "View Portfolio"

http://www.pbase.com/cerumen
My website: http://www.insectography.com

Ho72
Ho72 Senior Member • Posts: 2,281

So how does one market himself to the big stock agencies? The ones I've contacted won't give me the time of day because of the size of my portfolio or the subject matter or the style... etc.

If a person is a casual shooter with only a hundred or so images that can be useful for stock, microstock is about the only choice.

Or am I missing something?

Cerumen

Ho72 wrote:

So how does one market himself to the big stock agencies? The ones
I've contacted won't give me the time of day because of the size of
my portfolio or the subject matter or the style... etc.

If a person is a casual shooter with only a hundred or so images that
can be useful for stock, microstock is about the only choice.

Or am I missing something?

No, I think you're correct, and that's why so many serious amateurs are in the micros. The barrier to entry for the "trads" is huge, and relatively easy for microstock. For people like me, who want to fund their hobby (or fund a vacation, or whatever) it's a perfect fit.
--
Eric

Said Madhar Regular Member • Posts: 293
Congrats!!! NT

Said

archer69 Senior Member • Posts: 1,253
Re: Undercutting the working pro?

Steve Bingham wrote:

Your photos are very interesting, and your top photo, wiith the right
agency, might have made you thousands by now. > Steve Bingham
http://www.dustylens.com

Steve,

what would be the 'right agency'? I am considering submission (after I finally get all my best shots to the point to submit - or even load onto my site).

Just wondering with whom you work. Thanks.

-- hide signature --
Suntan Veteran Member • Posts: 6,007

Have you tried Alamy?

I have about 100 pics on it. Though I don't sell that many or that often, the first one I sold made me more money than all of the photos shown by the OP.

-Suntan

Suntan's gear list:Suntan's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D300 Nikon D750
Cerumen

Suntan wrote:

Have you tried Alamy?

I have about 100 pics on it. Though I don't sell that many or that
often, the first one I sold made me more money than all of the photos
shown by the OP.

Hi Suntan,

I think this was directed at me. No, I'm "exclusive" with istock. I've heard good things about Alamy. I've chosen a simple route with one agency, and I'm very happy.

That's really the whole point, in pictures and in life in general. Some laugh at making a buck or less for each sale, but I'm currently selling 10 to 20 every day. With more sales you get a better sense of what could actually move on the market. If I had to wait weeks for one sale, I'd get nowhere near the enjoyment or feedback that I currently gain.

As I said, it works for me. I respect others' opinion to do otherwise, but for many of us, microstock is a blast.
--
Eric

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads