Condensation behind iMac 24 glass?

Started Sep 21, 2007 | Discussions
Theme Regular Member • Posts: 302
Condensation behind iMac 24 glass?

Switched on my new 24", 2.4GHZ alu iMac last night for the very first time and all went very smoothly.
Immediatley checked for dead pixels; not a single one (... sigh of relief!)

Then, all of a sudden I noticed that in the lower right hand corner the screen appears a little blurred!

To my horror 1 saw that there seemed to be a ridge of condensation about 14 cm wide and 3 cm high in the black border and in the utmost lower part of the screen.

It was quite obvious that the spot was directly behind the glass plate covering the screen.

To my relief, it very slowly diminished in size and after about 2 hours had vanished completely, probably due to the screen warming up.
OK, now for the obvious questions:
Has anyone experienced anything like this before?
Can it have caused (permanent) damage even if it doesn't return?
If it does return, I'll bring the mac back!

I'll keep a very critical eye on the screen(?) and will also mention it to my vendor, but it does give me cause for concern!
Thanks for any suggestions!
Theo

Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 40,026
Re: Condensation behind iMac 24 glass?

My impression is that the humidity within was introduced in the shipping process (sitting in a warehouse w/o climate control?). With humid air within, your room was likely cooler than the components, so as the front panel cooled, it caused the condensation.

Now that the unit is warmed up, the humidity had been burned off. If damage could result, I'd expect you'd know of it already.

That's taking a positive posture. Still, you're right to watch for any side effects.

FWIW
--
...Bob, NYC

http://www.pbase.com/btullis

You'll have to ignore the gallery's collection of bad compositions, improper exposures, and amateurish post processing.

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T4
OP Theme Regular Member • Posts: 302

Hi Bob,
Sounds like a very plausible explanation.
Second start up offered no problems whatsoever.
Screen now looks fantastic all round.
Thank you for your thoughts.
Theo

pillowtop Regular Member • Posts: 239

Was it just humidity, or was there a yellowish dust? I've read some reports elsewhere about a yellowish dust behind the glass.

OP Theme Regular Member • Posts: 302

No dust, quite clearly a transparent, possibily whitish blemish.
Certainly looked like condensation. Can't image it being anything else.
It has cleared completely, screen is sharp all the way round
For the time being, I'm satisied that all is well.
THanks for your thoughts.
Theo

Benjammer Contributing Member • Posts: 923

I've discovered you can speed the 'defrosting' up by viewing an all white screen, it should clear up allot faster, but humidity inside computer probably isn't a good thing for long term reliability

-- hide signature --

Meow

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads