nemofin Contributing Member • Posts: 739
Re: Which lens for D300 for wide angle

Nikkor 12-24 hands down.

Vince P
Vince P Senior Member • Posts: 1,917

nemofin wrote:

Nikkor 12-24 hands down.

Based on what, the looks with the gold ring? Have you used the other lenses? I had the Sigma 10-20 and the 18-50. I bought 12-24 and 17-55 to replace them so it wasn't about budget. I have plenty of Nikon lenses and agree usually they outperform third party lenses. I was very disappointed with the 12-24 when I compared it to the Sigma 10-20 so disappointed I swapped it for another. This was a little better but the Sigma was still equal to it and of course for a wide angle an extra 2mm (3MM for DX) is a big advantage. So I kept the Sigma. This is born out by the tests linked to in this thread and those on Nikonians as well, these reflect my personal experience. I haven't used the Tokina but people who test lenses for a living say it performs slighty better than the Sigma but has slightly worse CA and both overall perform better than the Nikon.

From what I know I'd rule out the Nikon in favour of the Sigma. I would seriously consider the Tokina balancing the extra 2mm of the Sigma, better CA and HSM motor against the better balance better optical performance and constant F4 of the Tokina.

Vince P's gear list:Vince P's gear list
Nikon D5 Panasonic GH5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 +65 more
NickInFocus Contributing Member • Posts: 547

I prefer the Tokina 12-24mm. I'm usually the first to hesitate going third party away from Nikkor, so I immediately purchased the 12-24 with serious trepidation. However, the build and image quality alone make this well worth the $500 asking price.

Sore spots include some serious chromatic aberration (though easily correctable in many programs), and softness at f/4 on the long end (24mm). Other than that, I'm crazy about my Tokie.

Nick
http://www.ashotapart.com/ - photoblogging nyc and beyond

David Nall
David Nall Forum Pro • Posts: 15,995
Re: Lens tests

I don't think the body has much to do with how the lens will perform. The Sigma 10 20 works just as good on my D50 as it does on the D200. Dave
--
please visit my gallery at http://www.poperotzy.smugmug.com
There is a link for saving on your own Smugmug account.

David Nall's gear list:David Nall's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads