D40x video out cable (EG-D100) question

Started Sep 21, 2007 | Discussions
broadbean New Member • Posts: 12
D40x video out cable (EG-D100) question

My D40x didn't come with the optional TV video out cable (EG-D100). In the past, I've simply used the same sort of video cable between my Canon cameras and Sony camcorder.

Does anyone have any experience if some other cables also work with the Nikon? eg I know early iBooks and iPod (photo) had cables that looked similar to the Sony video out cables but didn't work as the video and audio bits were different on the cable at the camcorder's end.

Standards - just so many to choose from!

thr33face Contributing Member • Posts: 559
nikon video out cable

The nikon cable has:

-a 3.5mm connector (like your usual headphones) on on side with 2 connections (1 plastic rings in between).
-one cinch connector on the other side that carries the video signal and ground

Other cables also work:
-3.5mm connector with 3 contacts (2 plastic rings)
-other side with two cinch connector (usually black and yellow)

also audio '3,5mm to cinch' (red white) also work

If you use a cable with 2 cinch connectors on one side you have to try and see which one carries the video signal. It is no problem if connect the wrong one to your TV as one only carries the ground signal. If you get no video, simply try the other connector.

hope this helps, have a nice day.

-- hide signature --
Wilbobp New Member • Posts: 7
Re: nikon video out cable

If you are in the UK visit http://www.cpc.com

this is the lead I use. Mono 3.5mm jack to single phono

Lead AV07341 £2.79 + vat + p&p

Wilbobp New Member • Posts: 7

oops sorry

meant http://www.cpc.co.uk

OP broadbean New Member • Posts: 12

Thanks for your suggestions.

I just tried four cables, one each from: Canon digital compact camera (video/mono); generic stereo RCA; Sony camcorder (video/stereo) and an early white iBook (video/stereo).

The ones with only two RCA jacks actually seemed to work, I just didn't realise the camera's LCD does not work when connected with these cables. What I also found was that when in playback mode, there was some flickering in some bright areas. Not sure if the Nikon cable would fix this.

The ones with three RCA jacks on the cable do not seem to work with the Nikon D40x at all.

Thanks for your suggestions. It seems the ones with video and mono RCA jacks work, but some bright areas flickers. Not sure if the Nikon cable or the ones with just one RCA jack would make it better.

Re: nikon video out cable - figured it out

The flickering is the feature of "Highlights"

Maurice Delaney
Maurice Delaney Contributing Member • Posts: 556
Re: D40x video out cable (EG-D100) question

After reading this thread, I bought a stereo-headphones-jack-to-RCA-red-&-white audio cable for 10 Swiss Francs (about $5).

The white (left channel) RCA jack in the video (yellow) plug on the TV did the trick. I had to have the camera off before I connected the cables for it to work.

Thanks all for saving me money - Nikon's EG-D100 cable sells for about 5 times as much as this solution!

Maurice
--

http://www.inweb.ch/foto for my links and resources page.
A morning without coffee is like something without something else.

Maurice Delaney's gear list:Maurice Delaney's gear list
Nikon D60 Samsung Galaxy S III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads