Went for the A650 after All

Started Sep 8, 2007 | Discussions
Adam-T
OP Adam-T Forum Pro • Posts: 63,371
Re: Went for the A650 after All

since the launch of g9 and a650 I cannot choose between these two

The A620 has a better OVF than the G7 at least (which to be honest isn't difficult as the G7s was useless) and it has a good grip and a swively screen so unless Canon watercoloured the G9 to death, the only diff would be whether you want AAs, Deep grip and swivelly screen -- or a Hotshoe, higher rez fixed LCD and a smaller bank balance

-- hide signature --

Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist

Adam-T's gear list:Adam-T's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D850 Sony a7R IV Sony a6600
Adam-T
Re: Compared to the A620......thoughts??

A620 owner) I'd like to hear your comments on some full high res
shots and comparisons to the A620......likes and dislikes.

The 650 seems like 12.5 megapixels worth of A620 quality if you know what I mean (same at pixel level so you're gaining 5Mp of A620 quality) - the LCD is better as is the lens reach (the A620 optic was superb quality of course and the 650's "G7" lens hasn't lost that) - so the 650 is gaining allround -the ONLY ONE Minus is the location of the SD card in the battery compartment which is way beyond Stupid in an AA camera - the A640 and S5IS started that silliness - I bet it was introduced by a "Mole" working for the Anti Canon league to make people buy Fujis, Panasonics and Sonys ..

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D850 Sony a7R IV Sony a6600
Adam-T
Re: Went for the A650 after All

Adam - for only 50 Pounds more than the A640 you had to jump on that
purchace ! Have fun learning your way around the new A650

I was looking into a 630 also (at an amazing £125) but the deal wasn't in my local Comet store and when IS and when that IS lens is dangled in front of you at that price - well, go for it

-- hide signature --

Adam-T
LOL Mike -->

Typical, I have no meets, weddings or events today and it's looking VERY Dull, more rain I fear .. It's not very often I buy a NEW cam at all let alone being the first to own a model (the D60 was the last time, maybe the 10D as well - but I like to forget that latter mistake) ..

Anyway it seems to hold its own at ISO800 against the 6Mp super-Fujis at the same resolution !

-- hide signature --

cmk2006 Junior Member • Posts: 32
A650 vs. G7

Given a choice between A650 and the G7 (and lamenting loss of a true wide angle, but I just don't think the 1/2.5 sensor is good enough) which would you choose and why?

Adam-T
I had the G7 and Ditched it --->

G7 pluses - Old style S series solid metal build (better made than the plasticky REAL G series or the A series) - button count and command dial - Hotshoe (though I'd not want even a 220EX on a cam this size let alone a 550 !) - sharper LCD and more menu options .....

A650 Pluses - far better Grip and thumb space, the IS isn't wasted with wobbly holding and trying to avoid buttons with the thumb.. way better OVF alignment, it's not perfect but as close as a G6 or A620.. less Noise reduction (sharper at pixel level at all ISOs / more detail at high ISOs).. AA batteries are cheaper and last longer.. Twisty screen .. Resolution, higher in sharpness as well as Mp (12Mp with less NR)..

TWO Big A650 Downers --> SD card in with the AA Batts (Stupid in the Extreme - it takes a special kind of Idiot to dream stuff like that up - the A640 and S5-IS are the same) --- No LCD Brightness adjust in the menus (and it's too bright giving the impression the images are brighter than they are - the A620 was like that)..

-- hide signature --

chand Forum Member • Posts: 68
A650 weight - neck strap?

I tried out an A650 in a London store and it felt very favourable in terms of handling. It felt reasonably heavy with 4 AA batteries -similar to a previous G3 I owned. However it seemd to only have a small metal ring for a hand strap- I would have preferred the ability to carry it on a neck strap if using it repeatedly in a period of time. Does the camera feel stable to carry around on a hand strap? The alternative woud be to keep taking it in and out of a camera bag but this would be incovenient for repeated shooting

From experience of owners of the A6-- series, is this a cause of concern? Or is there a neck strap work around?

Thanks-am keen to purchase this since I really miss the flip LCD I used to use on the G3

Chand

Adam-T
Re: A650 weight - neck strap?

time. Does the camera feel stable to carry around on a hand strap?

Yep, it's fine, in fact I even used one with the G6 .. I'm not a fan of neck straps on small cameras like this, they seem to double the bulk of the camera

-- hide signature --

cmk2006 Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: I had the G7 and Ditched it --->

Thanks. Sounds like, except for the nicety of a stronger metal build, that you would go for the 650. Is that correct?

sadwitch Senior Member • Posts: 1,146

Hi congrats on the a650, can i check how's the video output comparing it to the s5IS?

Adam-T

Hi congrats on the a650, can i check how's the video output comparing
it to the s5IS?

It's the same as the others like the A640 except that it does 4Gb movies - it hasn't got the stereo Mics or zooming whilst filming like the S3/5-IS do

-- hide signature --

Adam-T
Re: I had the G7 and Ditched it --->

Thanks. Sounds like, except for the nicety of a stronger metal build,
that you would go for the 650. Is that correct?

Absolutely - and I DID, if I'd liked the G7 that much I'd not have sold it after a few weeks and we wouldn't be having this conversation (as I'd not have an A650 now .. thankfully got the G7 used and didn't lose anything :).. the G9 isn't worth it as an update for the G7 as everything is basically the same but the A650 is a great update for all the A series due to the lens and IS ..

-- hide signature --

catkit Regular Member • Posts: 279

It is not true to say the A650 has the same lens as the G9 as the A650 is lacking the SR coating.

cat

Adam-T

It is not true to say the A650 has the same lens as the G9 as the
A650 is lacking the SR coating.

Just because that "SR" coating is not mentioned in the blurb, it doesn't mean that it doesn't have it ! .. lets face it, it's far cheaper to make all the lenses the same than to have two lines of lenses with identical glass but with one with a "Special" coating which adds little or nothing to the production costs ...

An improved coating was added to the A620 lens which also went into the A610, A630 and A640 to have the same effect, you think they'd miss it off the 650 just so the G9 and G7 could add a unique buzzword to the list?..

-- hide signature --

I don't think it would be particularly hard to make the lenses and only add the coating to the G9 lens. Also I doubt they would bother be misleading about it as an expert in such matters would surely notice if the A650 did have the coating.

cat

Adam-T

I don't think it would be particularly hard to make the lenses and
only add the coating to the G9 lens.

it would need a separate line to do it and it's POINTLESS as well as costly to add another line ...... anyway the 650 lens performs exactly the same as the G7 one in contra lit situations with much the same levels of PF. "SR" is just another buzzword to add to the list ...

It's easy to say "G9 has the new SR lens coating as first seen in the G7 " and not mention it in the A650 - it's not being misleading - in fact probably most of the new range compact lenses have it as they want to improve IQ across the baord to be competitive, I betcha the S5IS and A720IS have it too, they just don't make a point about it.. Why use a costing which costs nothing to add on just one version of a single lens ?

-- hide signature --

Adam I really doubt what you are saying is correct. Why would Canon risk being accused of dishonesty by pointing out the SR coating only on the G9 but in fact include it on all their other cameras as you suggest? I just don't think they would do that.

cat

Adam-T
Where does it say

that it's ONLY in the G9 ?? . it says """6x optical zoom lens with optical Image Stabilizer and SR coating"" it doesn't say "SR coating which is totally unique to the G9 and not in any other still camera lens, even ones with the same lens elements and stabilizer" does it? ..

Anyway, whatever, the 650's lens performs exactly the same as the G7 lens for PF, Flare and CA from what I can tell having owned a G7 for a month and currently owning an A650 ..

-- hide signature --

PaulS Senior Member • Posts: 2,828
Wow - that pic is so clear, it seems you are there! 9nt)

no text.

mica1217 Regular Member • Posts: 268
Adam - quick question...

a big thanks for your review and sample pics.
I loved the samples at ISO 800...the noise vs detail realy show off the A650is

while I still have the A620 (and love it), it's time to get a new camera, for reasons I'll explain later.

while I was thinking of the S5is, it has such a small sensor, and seems to have bad fringing problems.

no reason to think of the G9 because I can't live without the swivel screen now that I'm spoiled from the A620.

that leaves me with the A650is.

with (what looks like) the same sensor and same lens as the G9, on paper, it looks like a "no brainer" for me.
your tests in iso200 and iso800 are great, but I almost always shoot at iso100.
do you get the same great results at iso100 with the A650is ?

after taking over 500 pics on my last trip to Jamaica (I also took alot when I went to DR), I feel in love with one of my sunrise pics.

after printing that sunrise shot at 8x10, I desided to have it done at 16x20 to hang in my livingroom above my couch.
it came out nice, but not great.

I understand that a 7.1mp compact camera starts to show its weakness at this size, and I'm not upset.

(here is the big question)

do you think that if I get the A650is and I when I go back to Jamaica this May, will I be able to print some 16x20s of the sunsets and get as good or better results?

or will the enlargement have too much noise, or be too soft as compared to the A620 (due to any NR that the A650is might add at iso100) ?

(I mostly print at 4x6 and 8x10, but if it can give me a good 16x20, I'll be sold on the A650is)

the reason for keeping my A620 while getting a A650 would be to get the underwater case for the A620, and use the A620 while snorkeling.

thanks again Adam for your tests.

Harry

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads