Hands on with the new A700

Started Sep 6, 2007 | Discussions
jan-k Senior Member • Posts: 1,897
Thanks, Doug! Great report! --nt
-- hide signature --
Les Leventhal Contributing Member • Posts: 556
Re: Hands on with the new A700

Thanks for the nice report. Can you say something more about the noise from ISO 400-3200?

OP Doug Brown Veteran Member • Posts: 3,964
Noise ...

This is a very rough impression from about 50 shots, only a dozen or so in dim interiors with high ISO values.

If I use the Canon 20D, a camera I'm very familiar with, as a benchmark, I would say the Sony images are equal to the 20D up to 1600 ISO. At 3200 perhaps the Canon is just the slightest bit ahead. But the remarkable thing is the Sony 6400 ISO images are just about the same as the 3200 ones.

I did a sequence of images of the same interior scene at 1600/3200/6400. When I bring them up on the screen at normal viewing (not 100 percent, but full screen on a 20inch monitor) it's relatively easy to see which is the 1600 one. To tell the other two apart I have to look at the EXIF info. That's impressive.

Doug B
Torontowide.com

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,398

Thank you for this objective hands-on opinion. After reading many of the threads that degenerated into flame sesssions, this is a breath of fresh air. This admitted amateur 5d owner is very happy with the specs and looks forward to testing the new camera out when it hits the local stores.

Thanks again.

Bluescorpio722 Forum Member • Posts: 53
Re: Shutter ...? for doug

Thanks for the Objective informative report.

Have a ? about the shutter noise. I am not sure if you are familiar with the 7D 5D A100 shutter noise........Its a very tinny clunky noise unlike the Cannons Nikon and E510s motorized sound....... has this been changed on the A700. Thanks

tleveque Regular Member • Posts: 234

$1599!!!

$1399 USD = $1472 CND at the today currency value.
This is $130 more expensive....
Why are they doing that?
Are we supposed to have more money here in Canada?

I will wait to see a more decent price somewhere else and maybe buy from the US (like I did for my Maxxum 5D). Sometime, even with the shipping and all custom fees, it is still cheaper to do that.

By the way, if you want to do that, use the Canada Post "borderfree.ca" service.

-- hide signature --

Thierry

Re: Shutter ...? for doug

Hmm ... not familiar with that camra. the nearest I could compare it to is the Olympus E1. It has a deeper, well damped sound than the really dreadful sound the 20D makes.

Just tried out my E510. It's not as whiny as that, and less winding sound after the mirror return.
Doug B
Torontowide.com

Timothy S Broadley
Timothy S Broadley Senior Member • Posts: 2,403

Doug:

Did you try AF-c mode and , if so, what were your observations relative to the 20d
Cheers and Thanks
Tim

pricing ...

That's the intro price. After Christmas it'll probably go down. But frankly, for all the technology and quality the A700 brings to the table, I think $1599 isn't bad. It offers more features than a 40D and gives you image stabilization with every lens. And it's built really well. Very solid camera.

Doug B
Torontowide.com

Madcat207 Senior Member • Posts: 1,020
Re: pricing ...

Doug Brown wrote:

That's the intro price. After Christmas it'll probably go down. But
frankly, for all the technology and quality the A700 brings to the
table, I think $1599 isn't bad. It offers more features than a 40D
and gives you image stabilization with every lens. And it's built
really well. Very solid camera.

Doug B
Torontowide.com

Doug, the complaint is not the $1599, but the fact that it is more expensive in CA than it is in the US. US, straight from Sony is $1399 (body), so why more expensive in CA?

Thanks for the hands-on review though.. i am already feeling bad for my soon to be backup A100....

Not really ...

Only accidentally for a frame or two while trying to change other settings. It took a while to get used to the way Sony has set up the navigation of the menu. But then I got it and was changing ISO's, picture modes and file sizes with abandon

Doug B
Torontowide.com

Dennis Phillips Senior Member • Posts: 1,475

Add the 70-200mm lens to the package.

Canada:
A700 $1,600 CAD
70-200 $2,600 CAD
Package price $4,200 CAD

At 93 cents to the US dollar = $3,900

US Prices
A700 $1,400
70-200 $2,000
Package price = $3,400

That's a $500 difference before sales taxes.

I'd like to support Sony Canada, but that differential is just too great.

Re: pricing ...

Yeah, that's pretty much a constant when buying photo equipment. Every two weeks someone brings that up on the Canon forums. Same for them.

But cheer up, you could be living in the UK! Now there's a bunch of distributors with a 'ruthlessly exploit and pillage' mentality.

Doug B
Torontowide.com

Les Leventhal Contributing Member • Posts: 556

tleveque wrote:

By the way, if you want to do that, use the Canada Post

"borderfree.ca" service.

I just went to the borderfree site. I don't quite understand it. Why is it better than just phoning or emailing a US supplier and placing an order?

I had a list of questions for them when I went in there. Should have thought to ask them on the side about the disparity in pricing between here and the U.S. I've always been curious about it as well. It's a frustrating situation, especially when the two countries are in such close geographic proximity.
Doug B
Torontowide.com

Timothy S Broadley
Timothy S Broadley Senior Member • Posts: 2,403
Re: Not really ...

Thank you! for your insights
Tim

Dennis Phillips Senior Member • Posts: 1,475
Pharmacy train

You know that pharmacy train that Americans take to buy their pills in Canada cheap? We should organize a Toronto to Buffalo Camera Bus. (smiles)

fjbyrne
fjbyrne Veteran Member • Posts: 8,424
Universal Health Care

Madcat207 wrote:

Doug Brown wrote:

That's the intro price. After Christmas it'll probably go down. But
frankly, for all the technology and quality the A700 brings to the
table, I think $1599 isn't bad. It offers more features than a 40D
and gives you image stabilization with every lens. And it's built
really well. Very solid camera.

Doug B
Torontowide.com

Doug, the complaint is not the $1599, but the fact that it is more
expensive in CA than it is in the US. US, straight from Sony is
$1399 (body), so why more expensive in CA?

Universal Health Care - sorry, couldn't resist.

-- hide signature --

fjbyrne

fjbyrne's gear list:fjbyrne's gear list
Sony a7 III Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony a6000 +14 more
optical_illusion Senior Member • Posts: 1,029
environmental seals

Doug Brown wrote:

There are environmental seals around all the buttons and switches but
the Sony reps went out of their way to stress the camera is not
considered water-proof or even splash-proof.

According to their site,
"Protected against dust and moisture

No matter how strong internal and external body components are, cameras will be subject to damage if they are not protected against dust and moisture*. On the α700, buttons, dials, and switches are protected by gaskets and sealants for worry-free shooting outdoors. Not waterproof or splashproof."

It means it's not usable in rain, unlike Pentax K10D that is durable even when a bucket of water is thrown onto the camera. A700 is about double the price of K10D. Nevertheless the sealing performance of A700 is inferior to that of K10D. Oh well.

Dumont
Dumont Senior Member • Posts: 1,773

Yes, in Canada you are supposed to have more money. It's the money you are saving with your government sponsored healthcare (universal healthcare) LOL While here in the USA I have to pay over a grand a month for just a couple and then there are the co-pays etc etc

So yeah, Sony figures you can pay more. J/K I really don't know why that is and why in europe prices are even higher. I suppose salaries in europe are also proportionally higher? Anycase am happy that I can enjoy the lower prices here in the US.

Brgds
Darren

tleveque wrote:

$1599!!!

$1399 USD = $1472 CND at the today currency value.
This is $130 more expensive....
Why are they doing that?
Are we supposed to have more money here in Canada?

I will wait to see a more decent price somewhere else and maybe buy
from the US (like I did for my Maxxum 5D). Sometime, even with the
shipping and all custom fees, it is still cheaper to do that.

By the way, if you want to do that, use the Canada Post
"borderfree.ca" service.

-- hide signature --

Dumont - http://www.pbase.com/dumont - For equipment see profile.

Dumont's gear list:Dumont's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony a99 II +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads