The LiveView Poll

Started Sep 5, 2007 | Discussions
RichV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,182
Re: The LiveView Poll

EgonVLC wrote:

Now that we know there won't be liveview in A700, do you think it
would hurt A700 sales?

I'm pretty happy with what the camera seems to have. LV wasn't of meaning for me I and don't imagine it would be of much use to those accustomed to SLR's ... but yes: I think the lack of it might be a turnoff to those who have spent most (if not all) of their time using digicams. But even then, if you could document the tradeoff in battery power and focus accuracy, people might be okay with not having it.

Rich

RichV's gear list:RichV's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +7 more
OP EgonVLC Regular Member • Posts: 330

The A100 price dropped quite fast after launch, and it's still serving me quite well. After all, I'm not going to buy any camera now, so I'll wait and see.

Dennis Phillips Senior Member • Posts: 1,475
Zigview is better

EgonVLC wrote:

would hurt A700 sales?

The only time I'd want LiveView would be for shooting over the heads of a crowd. The current Canikon configurations don't help much in such a circumstance.

If I really wanted to shoot over the heads of a crowd, I'd want the viewer detachable so that I could hold it in my left hand while shooting as high as I could with my right. The Zigview offers that capability, but it's too expensive for the benefit I'd receive.

It's definitely a negative in the marketing column.

On the other hand, the wireless remote shutter release is a positive that I'd more likely use.

Kiril Karaatanasov Senior Member • Posts: 2,196

I am very very happy with the news. Sony does listen!

LiveView is the most useless extra on DSLRs except for the new Panasonic and Nikon versions. But I guess it will have to go for a fair while to really get useful.

But fast AF, low noise, high dynamic range, improved shutter speed, viewfinder, ergonomics, robustness and sync speed are things that really count. Even excellent display is something that counts

Sony and Panasonic seem to be the only companies that listen not race. I guess this will sooner or later show in market shares.

Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list:Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7C
Kenneth B Senior Member • Posts: 1,533
Re: LiveView is indispensable

optical_illusion wrote:

EgonVLC wrote:

would hurt A700 sales?

Yes I think it would hurt A700 sales. Liveview is an indispensable
feature for today's DSLRs.

Only if your coming from a digicam and haven't ever used a view finder.

Kenneth B's gear list:Kenneth B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +8 more
Nordstjernen
Nordstjernen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,876

I would rather buy a 'single lens reflex camera' with electronic view finder than a mirror/pentaprism LiveView camera.

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7

auksnapper wrote:

All the latest cameras from C,N &O have live-view this includes the
D3 & 1Dmk3 theses are serious pro cameras.

With the A700 you get a 95% viewfinder & no live-view

This IMHO is a huge error by Sony!

I think the Nikon would be your best bet, but AFAIK it uses a different focus mechanism than it would if you were in "regular dSLR mode" - I don't know if there's a difference in the accuracy (only [review and use] time will tell). The Canon might work for you as well, seeing as how you mostly use a tripod; it's only got manual focus available in its live view mode.

Rich

Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +7 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 15,724
Re: Carl ....

Hi Busch

I have no doubt that using live view is another way to tackle the problem, and it has been handy on the R-1 to be sure. But it really comes down to a convenience.

I think it is more important to have an articulating LCD in those "tightspots" than to rely on your lcd for exposure.

Either way, shouldn't be a dealbreaker, just sounds like a silly threat to me on these posts. Step up amateurs and try using a viewfinder and meter, it's not hard at all. I took the leap it's easy, is all im saying.

Just to say, I know pros use the R-1, so im not saying because you use live view, you aren't any less of a photographer, my argument should be very clear about that.

Carl
--
I'm here: http://www.carlgarrardphotography.com

busch
busch Forum Pro • Posts: 32,841
Walt ....

Without beating a dead horse, how about you and I getting together for a nice cool one in about 3 years and see where we are?

BTW, I have both the a100 and the R1. Different tools for different jobs.

-- hide signature --

Busch

Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.

http://www.pbase.com/busch

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +12 more

Hi, Doug - on the surface of things (i.e. until real life images and experiences come out) I agree with everything you listed except the 16:9 mode. It might be a way to sell a few Bravia units (or a good addition for a "Sony family"), but you won't be able to shoot any wider than the lens' image circle allows - in other words, the same width you'd get from your normal ratio. This is just a time saver for those who want that kind of output (I'd rather crop/adjust on my own), not a photographic improvement.

Rich

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 15,724
Kodak, you will be proven wrong in that simple argument.

One "extra" feature won't kill a camera's sales. Look at the A100 for example, a very good camera, but so many complained about ISO. Look how well its done. Sold sold sold.

Carl
--

Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
Re: Kodak, you will be proven wrong in that simple argument.

cgarrard wrote:

One "extra" feature won't kill a camera's sales. Look at the A100 for
example, a very good camera, but so many complained about ISO. Look
how well its done. Sold sold sold.

Carl
--

Well lets be honest, it appears to have sold ok..pretty well. But this is sony, with their massive marketing and uber sales channels, sony could sell a sandcastle in the desert if they had too. Its a powerful brand..in general (not so much cameras)

The A-100 was launched too high in price (and this appears to follow that also), which hurt sales a bit.

What the A-100 didnt do, was hurt canon or nikon...and that is what they really need.

-- hide signature --

Clint is on holiday! Soon to return!

magic823 Forum Member • Posts: 64
Noise!

Liveview may be fine for a very small sensor, but with APS-C or larger you are just asking for noise. The longer the sensor is working the warmer it gets and the more noise you'll get. This is why astrophotographers cool their sensors.

Give me low noise and long battery life any day over LV.

WaltKnapp Forum Pro • Posts: 13,857

Rouslan wrote:

I think it will hurt sales.

For P&S users migrating for bigger camera (DSLR) it will be a show
stopper

It's a advanced DSLR, there is a cheaper DSLR, that's what those migrating P&S folks will buy. And I did not notice the sales of the A100 being hurt by the lack of liveview. And we have seen folks posting how they found they did not need liveview once they actually got out and started taking photos with a DSLR.

The bigger new DSLR sales market especially at the advanced level is film SLR users finally migrating to DSLR. They are looking for a digital just like their film camera. Many of them also have liveview P&S cameras so they know the difference.

And in spite of the gloom and doom from folks claiming you can't take photos without liveview, a large number of P&S folks bought the A100 and made some of the best photos of their life. They are now ready to move up to a camera with more features to go along with their growing lens and accessory collections and/or skills. Are they going to see liveview as key to their success with the A100? I don't think so. Are they going to choose their advanced DSLR on the basis of liveview?

So, what we have is some P&S folks who more than likely would not have bought the A700 even with full liveview (because it's too expensive, too complicated, etc) and they are threatening to walk out of DSLR because it does not have liveview? Fine, don't let the door hit you on the way out, you won't be missed. There's enough getting into DSLR and loving it to keep camera sales high and provide plenty to move into the more advanced DSLRs. I doubt you will find a single advanced DSLR user who's walking out of DSLR's just because they don't have the liveview like they want.

The reason why liveview will come is because it's cheaper to make. The manufacturers will make it all we have just as soon as they can convince us to continue paying the high prices of DSLR for it. (until the optical viewfinder goes liveview increases cost, so the optical viewfinder will go) Nothing at all to do with what's better for photography.

Walt

l.x. Regular Member • Posts: 469
Re: No LiveView, no R1 successor

I feel the same. I was really hoping for an exchangeable lens successor to my beloved R1, but without LiveView - no deal. So close, yet no cigar.

-- hide signature --

LX+R

joel avery
joel avery Senior Member • Posts: 1,703
LiveView OR SSS - why that distinction?

I've read several posts in this thread and past threads that seem to imply that there is some difficulty between implementing LiveView and SSS in the same body.

Is there a real technical problem here that a true DSLR can't do both or is just a case of "i'd rather have this feature over that feature"?

joel*

=.=.=.=.=

LiveView with tilt/flip LCD = way cool
LiveView without...not so much

joel avery's gear list:joel avery's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7R II +8 more
busch

Carl, I think you and lots of others mistake what I (and some others) mean. I want a real live view with zebra stripes and histogram and a tilting/rotating display. That is in the future, at least as I see it. I don't want a half way job like some now have. I'd rather not have it in that case!

No, we don't NEED that but we can sure use it. You don't have to have a light meter but it sure makes life easier. I've been shooting for over 60 years so I am not locked into gimmicks.

BTW, I still like your PhotoWorld story/photos.

-- hide signature --

Busch

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +12 more
joel avery
joel avery Senior Member • Posts: 1,703
LiveView vs. Traditional Meter in viewfinder?

cgarrard wrote:

Some people dont' want to swith to a cam with live view and prefer a
traditional meter (and a very very good one at that) in the
viewfinder. That may add sales by keeping a traditional format..

Carl
--

Does LiveView with an articulated LCD preclude having a good 'traditional' meter in the viewfinder?

joel avery's gear list:joel avery's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7R II +8 more
kodakuser Veteran Member • Posts: 6,405
Re: Noise!

magic823 wrote:

Liveview may be fine for a very small sensor, but with APS-C or
larger you are just asking for noise. The longer the sensor is
working the warmer it gets and the more noise you'll get. This is why
astrophotographers cool their sensors.

Give me low noise and long battery life any day over LV.

No seriously, try an R1 (not sure if you have or not :-))...big sensor....very very well implimented live view via a decent EVF (but could be better)...no tradeoffs with IQ as far as I can see...big thumbwheel for live view EVF adjustment...brilliant

The first company that introduces a fast cam with interchangeable lenses and an EVF just slightly higher res than the R1 and an articulating LCD...will have a winner

Busch knows what I mean...he has an R1 and an A100 and I think he feels exactly the same as me

-- hide signature --

Sony A100 examples here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mangizmo/sets/72157600209437795/

My blog at... http://southwestwanderings.blogspot.com/

'Take nothing but photographs....leave nothing but footprints'

Vaughan....KodakP880/Sony Alpha100/Sony R1/Sony 717

busch

Sorry, got you and Vaughan mixed up with the PhotoWorld gig.

-- hide signature --

Busch

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads