al1571 Senior Member • Posts: 1,405
Re: LiveView is indispensable

optical_illusion wrote:

EgonVLC wrote:

Now that we know there won't be liveview in A700, do you think it
would hurt A700 sales?

Yes I think it would hurt A700 sales. Liveview is an indispensable
feature for today's DSLRs.

I wasn't aware that many, percentage-wise, DSlr's had a 'liveview" feature to them. I heard the Evolt line and the new Canon have it and maybe a few more? It would have been nice on the Alpha and it's current successor. I have used it on standard digitals in the recent past. It is convenient and it has it's minuses too.

However my two cents doesn't figure that many people who are DSlr users are going to be swayed to a camera by the liveview feature. It's been my experience that those who are interested in the feature are mostly P&S folks. I'm not knocking P&S equipment or users either.

I started out in photograghy on an old Pentax film camera about 30 years ago. graduated to a 3000i and am now a proud Alpha owner. The lack of liveview didn't disway me from any of the DSlrs I was picking to buy. Truth be told the viewfinder is fine by me. In the long run I don't think the liveview feature will bring people to or get them to jump around the DSlr market on its own.
--
Al

http://www.flickr.com/photos/al_1571/

'There's a feeling I get when I look to the west and my spirit is crying for leaving.'

Minolta Maxxum 50 1:1.7(22)
Minolta Maxxum 35-80 1:4(22)-5.6
Sony 18-70 3.5-5.6 (KIT)
Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 DG APO Macro

al1571's gear list:al1571's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +1 more
Jim Ogilvie Contributing Member • Posts: 799
Re: The LiveView Poll

Doug...

I agree with you on most counts, but 16 x 9 is truly a gimmick in itself.

16 x 9 is an aspect ratio that only has context or meaning in broadcast/television type scenarios. It has no real place in photography. Now, if your goal is to shoot and display on a widescreen tv almost exclusively and you don't want to bother with any kind of PP workflow - sure, it has a use.

But I don't really want the camera to pre-crop my images for me, which is exactly what that mode is going to do.

Alpha Doug wrote:

Virtually useless toy. When you are in Live View mode on any Canon
or Nikon camera, focusing is done differently (contrast detection)
and is far less accurate than with the mirror down. You get total
blackout while shooting fast, so tracking is near impossible. Hand
held, you better get nothing but image stabilized lenses, cause you
are going to bobble the thing holding it out far enough to view on
the screen. Marketing, marketing, marketing.

I am really impressed that Sony has apparently listened to most of
the desires of both the A100 upgrade crowd, and the leftover 7D
crowd. I think they may have one upped both Canon and Nikon on image
quality with the new processor which applies a minute amount of Noise
reduction even to RAW images on the fly, on the chip, and the new 5
level DRO that you can shoot bracketed, and applied to RAW!

I'm sorry, image quality, and ergonomics are far more important to me
than gimmicks.

How about the fact that the camera can shoot in 16:9 mode? I would
find that useful for wide angle landscapes!

Quieter mirror drive for less shake and less noise? Stronger,
quieter motor drive for autofocus? Improved auto-focus?

Real photographic improvements!

-- hide signature --

http://avicdar.com (my portfolio - please visit!)

-----
KM7D
Sony-Zeiss 135 1.8
Sony-Zeiss 85 1.4
Minolta 50 1.7
Sony 35 1.4G
Tamron 28-75 2.8
Minolta 70-210 F4
Sigma 15-30

Jim Ogilvie's gear list:Jim Ogilvie's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a1
assafb Regular Member • Posts: 416
It is the only new mid-range SLR with no liveview

It would definitely hurt sales!

fjbyrne
fjbyrne Veteran Member • Posts: 8,425
Yes because 40D and D300 have it

I'm fairly agnostic about live view but I think Sony will get criticized in the press for not have live view. Lets face it. According to the press whatever Canon or Nikon do is correct. This time they are both doing it so it must be correct.
--
fjbyrne

fjbyrne's gear list:fjbyrne's gear list
Sony a7 III Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony a6000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +14 more
LarryMcArdle Regular Member • Posts: 341
Who chooses a camera by 'LiveView' alone?

Really?

Who is going to drop $1500-$2000 on a camera based on ONE feature?

Is a consumer really going to narrow down their choice to a Sony OR a Canikolympus, and come to the conclusion that the cameras are equal across full feature sets, image quality, accessories, and price point, BUT FOR this one feature?

I just don't see it.

People who choose a DSLR based on one feature are like people who vote for political candidates based on a single issue. And those single-issue voters are frequently disappointed at all the other baggage they end up getting with their one-dimensional candidate.

I shot 5000+ images with my Olympus P&S and always used the live view. Now after 15000+ with the Maxxum 5D, I can say it matters very, very, very little to me.

Maybe 25-50 shots of 15,000 would have been more convenient for me with a live view, but only if the camera also had a swiveling LCD screen. Without that additional feature, I'd say less than 15 of 15K shots would've been impacted. And since this is digital, I can simply take more photos to make sure I get the result I want.

I understand certain, very constrained, circumstances where a live view would be useful. But many of the examples cited - overhead shots over a crowd, for instance - are borderline humorous to me. If I'm holding a camera over my head to get a shot over a crowd - I'm in the wrong place to get a good (let alone publishable) photo. I've got to compose with my feet, and get in front of that crowd!!!

I remember all the teeth-knashing by people about high ISO noise on the A100, above ISO 400. Now Sony releases a 12MP CMOS that (until reviews say otherwise) holds the promise of magical images up to ISO 1600, but, oh, now it doesn't have live view!

I have yet to have someone look at one of my photographs and say 'Wow! That's incredible. I'll buy it - but only if it was shot with a live view on the LCD!'

No way is this a deal-breaker. Not even close.

LarryMcArdle's gear list:LarryMcArdle's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D +12 more
momentphoto Forum Member • Posts: 75
live view nice but no deal breaker

It would be a nice feature but in no way is it going to sway me from wanting the a700.

I don't even mind the 95% VF either, if you compose your image and hope to have that extra 5% and then want to print an 8x10 you are out of luck and have to crop some part of your image that you may consider vital. I personally would prefer to leave some edge room which allows for printing of various sized prints

-- hide signature --

Capturing small moments of the beauty God has created,
Daniel H.

BroncoGuy Contributing Member • Posts: 513
Re: The LiveView Poll - it will affect my decision of what to buy

If the A700 has no live-view, it will decrease in value for me. I take many candid shots of my son and daughter. It is much better to take these shots from their eye-level (3 foot for my son and less for my daughter). Getting my eye down that far to look through a viewfinder is not easy or quick to accomplish. With my Minolta A2, I use the live view LCD almost all the time despite its amazing EVF.

I want a good and usable live view before I jump into the dSLR market. Canon, Nikon, Olympus, and Panasonic are all providing one. Maybe the A700 is too much camera for me as I am not a pro and I don't need a pro camera. Without live view, unless it opens up a can of whoop ... on the other cameras on the market, I don't know that I will consider it at all.

I was so sure that the next Sony would be the camera that woud lead me into the dSLR world, especially with the latest releases from Canon and Nikon, that was getting really excited for it. Without live view, no more.

David A Melges Veteran Member • Posts: 3,931
Completely disagree..

...to me, thats like saying two cars are identical but this one doesn't have a motor, is it really that big a deal?

If the one feature were flash sync, or programmable shooting modes, maybe...but to those waiting for Live View, everything starts and ends with Live View.

If its got it, I might buy it....if it doesn't, I won't even consider it.

dave
--
I love Sony!

David A Melges Veteran Member • Posts: 3,931
I won't buy it.

Every camera decision I've made since 2002 has started and ended with Live View.

I'm shooting the R1 until someone does Live View correctly in an interchangeable lens system.

I will not buy the A700.

dave
--
I love Sony!

liquid stereo
liquid stereo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,286
Yes.

Sony listened to all the dim bulbs in this forum or screamed against Live View.

-- hide signature --

Direct your eye right inward, and you'll find a thousand
regions in your mind Yet undiscovered. Travel them, and
be Expert in home-cosmography.
-H.D. Thoreau

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Canon EOS-1D X +10 more
RacingManiac Contributing Member • Posts: 689
Re: Completely disagree..

You can't say live-view is like the motor to a car in a camera....

I can see it'll be a deal breaker for some, but to say that its just silly...

Though I've seen people who decided not to buy a particular car because it has no outside temperature display....(true story)

Each user has their own preference, for me, I even turn away from my Canon P&S A20's LCD display because it is too slow(mid you, that was 6 years ago), I shot with my Z1 with just the eye-viewfinder display(eventhough its the same as the LCD screen output), and as I've said I have rarely missed the live-view from my KM5D(other than those time I have to explain to people why I can't use it)...

Live-histogram, now that may have been useful...wish they brought back the display on the film 7 that shows each cell's metering value...

David A Melges wrote:

...to me, thats like saying two cars are identical but this one
doesn't have a motor, is it really that big a deal?

If the one feature were flash sync, or programmable shooting modes,
maybe...but to those waiting for Live View, everything starts and
ends with Live View.

If its got it, I might buy it....if it doesn't, I won't even consider
it.

dave
--
I love Sony!

-- hide signature --

Maxxum 7
KM 5D
10 Lenses from 20mm-300mm
5600 HSD

Miguel Furlock Senior Member • Posts: 1,058
No Live View, no Alpha

Sorry to be that expeditive.
--
Moving as smooth as possible on a thin skin of ice protecting me from myself

Prognathous Veteran Member • Posts: 9,322
It would hurt sales and would probably make we wait for the next model

My 7D serves me well enough so that I don't need to rush into buying a compromise camera. Unless my camera fails, I'm not going to upgrade until there's a model with LV.

Prog.

Prognathous's gear list:Prognathous's gear list
Sony a77 II Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD IF Macro Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Olympus Stylus 1s +13 more
bobfloyd Regular Member • Posts: 430
It does not matter to me but I think it will hurt sales

This is not a feature I care about and not a feature that I can even begin to understand anyone caring about but the fact is that people do care about. Having shot with both OVF and LiveView, I can't see anyone thinking LiveView is superior in anyway but there seems to be a lot of folks out there who do think that and for whom this is, unfortunately, a deal breaker.

Bob
--
http://www.pbase.com/bobfloyd

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 15,724
live view is overrated

99.5% or more of dslr owners up to about 2 weeks ago, didn't have live view... and still don't. So what that Canon and Nikon have a limited liveview option, it's cool I guess and nice to have im sure for some situations. But in the grand scheme of photography it's really not a big issue. I'd much rather have a better LCD than just bigger like Canon, and im sure this cam will cost less than the Nikon so... it's a tweener cam between the two. So it should be priced accordingly. Canon is 1099, Nikon D300 is 1899, Sony... will be inbetween both im sure of it. When tomorrow comes note my reply.

Either way, if you cant' read a meter on a semi pro model camera, you shouldn't be using one.

Carl

-- hide signature --
Jim Ogilvie Contributing Member • Posts: 799
Re: Yes.

Hogwash!

Sony decided against adding to the cost of the camera for some 'me too' barely/only occasionally useful feature that might very well price them out of the running.

liquid stereo wrote:

Sony listened to all the dim bulbs in this forum or screamed against
Live View.

-- hide signature --

http://avicdar.com (my portfolio - please visit!)

-----
KM7D
Sony-Zeiss 135 1.8
Sony-Zeiss 85 1.4
Minolta 50 1.7
Sony 35 1.4G
Tamron 28-75 2.8
Minolta 70-210 F4
Sigma 15-30

Jim Ogilvie's gear list:Jim Ogilvie's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a1
bobfloyd Regular Member • Posts: 430
Re: Live view uses

auksnapper wrote:

jim,

I will only be using live-view when the camera is mounted on a tripod
for landscape, still life, & macro.

I can see it being ok for lanscape and still life I guess but I just don't get how people believe it good for Macro work. I have yet to see an LCD screen that offers the resolution, even magnified, to match an OVF with a split screen. My focus is never off of what I am trying to do with the OVF and the LCD always looks fuzzy to me. Maybe it is just my eyes or something.

Bob
--
http://www.pbase.com/bobfloyd

kodakuser Veteran Member • Posts: 6,405
It is a dealbreaker for me

Live view is the future...I will not buy any DSLR now that has no liveview, I have used it on the R1 and it is a fantastic aid when properly implimented...no liveview will damage sales big time

Actually, I am amazed it has been left out...even Panasonic have Liveview on their latest DSLR...bad move Sony
--

Sony A100 examples here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mangizmo/sets/72157600209437795/

My blog at... http://southwestwanderings.blogspot.com/

'Take nothing but photographs....leave nothing but footprints'

Vaughan....KodakP880/Sony Alpha100/Sony R1/Sony 717

dnjake Senior Member • Posts: 2,702
Yes it will hurt sales

EgonVLC wrote:

Now that we know there won't be liveview in A700, do you think it
would hurt A700 sales?

Obviously it has value to some people. Everyone would not be doing it otherwise. Its absence on a Sony is partly a problem because of the missing function. But its more of a problem because it suggests that Sony has only done half the job developing the camera. I expect Sony to be a leader on electronic displays. I will probably wait to buy a Sony DSLR until it really is a leadership product.
--
David Jacobson
http://www.pbase.com/dnjake

Buttoneer Regular Member • Posts: 403
Yes it will hurt sales (nt)

no test

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads