D80 wont' take closeups- flashing R06 in finder?

Started Aug 18, 2007 | Discussions
scottdee Junior Member • Posts: 27
D80 wont' take closeups- flashing R06 in finder?

I've looked in the manual for a error code but its not a error apparently. What is preventing the shutter from working and giving me a "R06" display in the VF in a room with incandescant lights with the flash up in P mode while trying to take a closeup of a ring? I have auto iso set to 1600 and min shutter speed to 1/15 with the 18-135mm kit lens mounted.

Brooks P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,183
Re: D80 wont' take closeups- flashing R06 in finder?

The r06 is telling you that there is room in the buffer for 6 photos at your current image quality setting; this is only useful when you are in the continuous shooting mode and shooting up to 3 frames a second. Ignore this message when shooting single frames; it has no bearing on your problem of not being able to take a picture.

Does the little green focus indicator come on in the viewfinder? If not you may be too close, the 18-135 won’t focus closer than about 18 inches – it is not a macro or even a close-up lens. Another possible problem is there is not enough light for the camera to focus; raising the ISO and lowering the shutter speed will not help the camera focus. Do you have the AF-Assist Illuminator (page 28 in the manual) turned on? The AF-Assist Illuminator is that little round light above the function button; it comes on briefly to add enough light for the AF system to work.

With the flash there is absolutely no reason to have the ISO set to 1600 and a shutter speed of 1/15; at those settings your picture will be overexposed. Set the ISO to 100 and the shutter to 1/60s and make sure the lens is at least 18 inches from the ring. If you need a larger image than what you get from that distance, crop the picture.

-- hide signature --
Chris Elliott Veteran Member • Posts: 3,979

You already have the answer to the question asked. I wanted to pick up what may be no more than casual language but has me concerned.

You say you have auto ISO set to 1600. If you have ISO set to 1600 and you are using Auto ISO then the ISO has nowhere to go. All shots will be at 1600 ISO whatever the light. You need to set ISO at 100 or similar with Auto ISO. Maybe that is what you have done.

scottdee wrote:

...... I have
auto iso set to 1600 and min shutter speed to 1/15 with the 18-135mm
kit lens mounted.

-- hide signature --

Chris Elliott

Nikon D Eighty + Fifty - Other equipment in Profile

http://PlacidoD.Zenfolio.com/

OP scottdee Junior Member • Posts: 27

Brooks P wrote:

The r06 is telling you that there is room in the buffer for 6 photos
at your current image quality setting; this is only useful when you
are in the continuous shooting mode and shooting up to 3 frames a
second. Ignore this message when shooting single frames; it has no
bearing on your problem of not being able to take a picture.

Does the little green focus indicator come on in the viewfinder? If
not you may be too close, the 18-135 won’t focus closer than about 18
inches – it is not a macro or even a close-up lens. Another possible
problem is there is not enough light for the camera to focus; raising
the ISO and lowering the shutter speed will not help the camera
focus. Do you have the AF-Assist Illuminator (page 28 in the manual)
turned on? The AF-Assist Illuminator is that little round light above
the function button; it comes on briefly to add enough light for the
AF system to work.

With the flash there is absolutely no reason to have the ISO set to
1600 and a shutter speed of 1/15; at those settings your picture will
be overexposed. Set the ISO to 100 and the shutter to 1/60s and make
sure the lens is at least 18 inches from the ring. If you need a
larger image than what you get from that distance, crop the picture.

-- hide signature --

Thank you Brooks. it was a focus issue. I was too close. I should have been more clear on my Auto ISO setting-its set at 100 with a min shutter speed of 1/15 before auto iso starts cranking up the ISO to 1600 max per Rockwell's advice in his d80 guide. Good idea or not?

JeffryZ Senior Member • Posts: 2,373

I like to keep my ISO to the lowest number that will let me get the shot I want- trying to miminize noise in the picture.
--
I would like to invite you to visit my photo gallery here:
http://www.pbase.com/jeffryz/galleries

Nikon D80
Nikon DX 18- 135mm f/3.5- 5.6 lens
Sigma 10- 20mm f/4.0- 5.6 lens
Nikon 70- 300mm VR

JeffryZ's gear list:JeffryZ's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +1 more
Chuck Steenburgh
Chuck Steenburgh Senior Member • Posts: 1,982

scottdee wrote:

Thank you Brooks. it was a focus issue. I was too close. I should
have been more clear on my Auto ISO setting-its set at 100 with a min
shutter speed of 1/15 before auto iso starts cranking up the ISO to
1600 max per Rockwell's advice in his d80 guide. Good idea or not?

Keep in mind that Rockwell does most of his shooting with the 18-200 VR, not the 18-135. 1/15 is a realistic shutter speed at the wide end (say 18-50) of the zoom wth VR and good technique. With a non-VR lens I'd set it to 1/30 or 1/60. But experiment...if you find that your shots are blurry, adjust your auto iso minimum shutter speed accordingly.

Chuck Steenburgh's gear list:Chuck Steenburgh's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-FH20 Nikon Coolpix S800c Nikon D40 Nikon D70 Nikon D7000 +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads