200 F2 VR A few candids !

Started Jul 30, 2007 | Discussions
OP (unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,228
Re: Pierre, my old friend!

Dave, my young friend! Glad you enjoyed the candid portraits and threw in a dash of sanity as well. I had the D1H for some time but didn't seem to reach for it that often. Mind you I found the multi-cam 1300 blinding fast to use. Battery is deceiving. One second it would show completely charged and the next suddenly completely drained. The lcd screen was too dark so I found it difficult to gage how well composed a shot taken was. After a while I passed it on to some more deserving photographer. I wish I could tell you more.

Best regards,
Pierre

Daves602
Daves602 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,640

The LCD on my D1h is excellent, gives me adjustment for brightness as well. Just those darned batteries. I am thinking of buying 3 generics and keeping them all charged and cycled well. If I can get 150 or so shots per battery I should be good.

I wiil just wait it out for the new pro body to be released and then maybe go totally mental and buy one.

pierre1 wrote:

Dave, my young friend! Glad you enjoyed the candid portraits and
threw in a dash of sanity as well. I had the D1H for some time but
didn't seem to reach for it that often. Mind you I found the
multi-cam 1300 blinding fast to use. Battery is deceiving. One second
it would show completely charged and the next suddenly completely
drained. The lcd screen was too dark so I found it difficult to gage
how well composed a shot taken was. After a while I passed it on to
some more deserving photographer. I wish I could tell you more.

Best regards,
Pierre

-- hide signature --

Warm regards, Dave.

Need some help posting images on this forum? Click here for some help http://www.davidstanton.com.au/how_to_post_photos_on_forums.html

Daves602's gear list:Daves602's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D300S Nikon D810 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +25 more

Make sure Dave that when you buy a new Nikon release that it doesn't have focusing issues like the Marklll or you will go totally mental LOL.

Pierre

Daves602
Daves602 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,640

Yeah, I know, that is why I am thinking of waiting 6 months after release. I really only shoot through spring and summer. Winter sports don't hold much interest for me. Remember that we are 6 months opposed in the seasons down here, so I am a month or 2 off the start of the spring sports season. I think the D1H, D2x and D50 should work nicely as a team. lol. Anyway, it is time for bed.....speak with you later.
--
Warm regards, Dave.

Need some help posting images on this forum? Click here for some help http://www.davidstanton.com.au/how_to_post_photos_on_forums.html

Daves602's gear list:Daves602's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D300S Nikon D810 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +25 more
redbull Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: 200 F2 VR A few candids !

great shots

one question

is it legal to shot public shots in which ppl are identifiable and than post them on a public forum and/or sell those pictures.

Thanks ! Yes ! If you carry a camera in public it may be construed that you will be taking photos therefore it's illegal to do so. ( tongue & cheek ) I take photos in public freely with some discretion and I don't sell them.

Pierre
--
' Don't let outside negative forces affect the way you choose to feel '
http://www.pbase.com/matrixone
http://www.pbase.com/pierredubeau/root

johnnymcclung
johnnymcclung Senior Member • Posts: 2,645

Please take a pic of the D40 with a 200mm attached - that must be funky looking setup?!

-- hide signature --

'Procrastinate now, don't put it off.'

johnnymcclung's gear list:johnnymcclung's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM +8 more
RBFresno
RBFresno Forum Pro • Posts: 13,012

Thanks RB ! I don't recall making you buy the 200-400 vr . Nice shot. I see she also wears designer glasses.

Hi Piere,

No, you are not to blame for me getting the 200-400VR! I can only blame myself for that one.

I was tongue-in-cheek actually thanking you, thinking about how your beautiful 28 1.4 pictures inspired me to get that lens before the prices went nuts. You are similarly influencing me with the 200VR, though I'm not in as big of a hurry, since I believe the 200VR will be in production for many years. Plus, my 8 year old computer and monitor are sorely in the need of replacement first.

Beyond that, I always look forward to your posts, since you do such a consistently great job of getting the most out of your equipment, and are such a wonderful contributor to the forum.

Best regards,
RB

http://www.pbase.com/rbfresno/profile

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon D5 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +17 more
Dodi73
Dodi73 Senior Member • Posts: 2,053

redbull wrote:

great shots

one question

is it legal to shot public shots in which ppl are identifiable and
than post them on a public forum and/or sell those pictures.

Hi red,

I'm not sure about that, surely selling shots of someone else without his/her permission is not legal, but as concerns just "showing" in a forum I'm not sure it's all this problem, otherwise, forum like these will be closed in an eyeblink.

Another thing: we ALL are men and we ALL like girls: I wouldn't question this is "voyeuristic" or not, nor why posting young girls instead of old men (that's usually the good counterpart for portraits, where age left its sign on a man's skin); would be different with nudity.

Personally, I believe that sometimes "supposed privacy" is overrated. If you don't want I take you a shot, just tell me and I won't, but PLEASE don't mention "it's for privacy", you would look a really tasteless person to me.

"Who doesn't behaves badly/is faulty has no reason to be worried, so, why are you worried?"
This is my opinion, of course.

-- hide signature --

All the best

NIK D200 ~ NIK 17-35 F2.8 ~ NIK 50 F1.4 ~ NIK 70/200 F2.8 VR ~ NIK 85 F1.4 ~ NIK 105 F2 DC ~ TAM 28/75 F2.8 ~ TAM 90 F2.8 MACRO

Ciaran Whyte Contributing Member • Posts: 648
That first shot is just WOW - nt
Dodi73

I mean...

I guess neither in the WWII there was so interest for privacy, despite the several and various warnings "the enemy listens"... Please, don't be( ) paranoiacs! There are surely bad people spying us but they are still really few compared to the majority of whatever population. If people would use more common sense than just quibbles or pretences showing their inner weaknesses, I guess the world would be a much better and quieter place! I don't know there, but often here (better: in southern Italy) people shot one another just for nuts (offense to a girl it's probably the "most valid" reason, but just think to a stolen parking place, a missed salutation.. too often people react disproportionately to the "offense" they received, so is for "supposed" privacy)

( ) WE all, me included, it's not something referred to any of YOU

-- hide signature --

All the best

NIK D200 ~ NIK 17-35 F2.8 ~ NIK 50 F1.4 ~ NIK 70/200 F2.8 VR ~ NIK 85 F1.4 ~ NIK 105 F2 DC ~ TAM 28/75 F2.8 ~ TAM 90 F2.8 MACRO

Dodi73
Re: That first shot is just WOW - nt

Ciaran Whyte wrote:

yes, definitely the better among them.

p.s. for RB.. I'm REALLY wondering how such big lenses can look unobserved in the crowd.. I'm not questioning they don't work, nay! Sometimes I really miss something like a small Leica when I'm outside: whenever I go to some party with my gear (and NEVER taking the big 70/200), a lot of girls make closer and ask: "Are you from the newspaper? Do you shoot for calenders?" Accustomed as they are with small compact cameras (at least this is my local experience), every DSLR with whatever lens is looked at as a "monster".... and I feel walking with a big, red, blinking arrow on my head: > > > WARNING: PHOTOGRAPHER

you know what I mean, I guess...

-- hide signature --

All the best

redbull Junior Member • Posts: 36

thank u dodi73 for ur detailed reply,

i wasnt worried about the girls, i rather enjoyed them

i routinely visit a wheels/cars related forum, the moderators there ask/suggest the members to blank out the number plates of cars if they r posting its pictures and the car doesnt belong to them, to keep the car annoymous.

i just wanted to know if thr r actually some legalalities regarding that, or is it just curtiuos.

Paul.R.Lindqvist
Paul.R.Lindqvist Veteran Member • Posts: 4,548
Pierre a few questions

First off nice shots, and nice looking subjects aswell. .-)

A few questions regarding the 200mm/2 VR

1.how often do you need support ?

2.how does it compare to the 70-200/2,8 Vr @ 200mm ?

3.Have you ever been kicked down in the gutter, cuz they thought you killed prinsess diana ?

Kindest
--
Regards
Paul L.

berlinguyinca Regular Member • Posts: 417

didn't saw the glasses at first, somehow I got distracted...

but both of you nice shots,

specially pieere1, the first shot of you is just awesome, and I think she got a pretty fancy top.

pierre1 wrote:

Thanks RB ! I don't recall making you buy the 200-400 vr . Nice shot.
I see she also wears designer glasses.

Pierre

larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 17,367
Re: voyeurism

pierre1 wrote:

Why is it that if the subject that is taken by a telephoto lens
happens to be wholesome and lovely and her photo is taken in public
with good lighting, composition, in good taste and in a flattering
way that this offends some people.
If I had shown this example, no one would have commented in the same
degree about voyeurism.

Judging by some of the photos I've seen posted and labelled as "street photography," I think it is an misunderstood genre. It's tough to define so I'll fall back on this entry in Wikipedia.org:

"Street photography uses the techniques of straight photography in that it shows a pure vision of something, like holding up a mirror to society. This genre of photography is present in contemporary times and is usually done as black and white photographs. Street photography tends to be ironic and distanced from its subject matter and often concentrates on a single human moment, caught at a decisive or poignant moment. In the 20th century, street photographers have provided an exemplary and detailed record of street culture in Europe and North America."

If the photo fails to live up to the above definition, then I suppose it's natural for someone to assume that the photographer either failed at capturing a "street photo" shot, or his (or her) goal was something else (eg: paparazzi photo, voyeurism photo).

It's tough to see where the line is drawn in some cases, but you'd have to be pretty...disconnected...not to see how some people would see your images in a more negative light.

Basically, I think your question is like asking, "why do the Secret Service guys always tackle me when I run up to the president and try to hand him the chocolate handgun I made for him?" (A shameless reference to a Jack Handy piece) In short, people may suspect your motives because your photos are similar to those taken for less savoury reasons.

Candid telephoto shots are particularly vulnerable to this perception for a few reasons:

1) The photographer is seen as being sneaky and dishonest in his intentions.

2) The compositional tendency in a lot of tele shots is to crop out the environment and zoom right in on the person. This removes a lot of potential meaning from the image. You've effectively eliminated the environment and interaction which is so often a big part of successful street photography.

And this is going off on a tangent but...

Just thinking out loud here, but to me, it's reminiscent of the question about the merits of a photograph of a beautiful painting. If the photographer's actions add nothing to the image, and the image relies purely on the qualities of that painting, then can we say that the photograph has no merit?

larsbc

Dodi73

Just to show what a beast of a lens is the 200 F/2 (showing an image from Bjorn Rorslett site):

After that, I'm still persuaded they were completely blind !!!

Dodi73 wrote:

Ciaran Whyte wrote:

yes, definitely the better among them.

p.s. for RB.. I'm REALLY wondering how such big lenses can look
unobserved in the crowd.. I'm not questioning they don't work, nay!
Sometimes I really miss something like a small Leica when I'm
outside: whenever I go to some party with my gear (and NEVER taking
the big 70/200), a lot of girls make closer and ask: "Are you from
the newspaper? Do you shoot for calenders?" Accustomed as they are
with small compact cameras (at least this is my local experience),
every DSLR with whatever lens is looked at as a "monster".... and I
feel walking with a big, red, blinking arrow on my head: > > > WARNING:
PHOTOGRAPHER

you know what I mean, I guess...

-- hide signature --

All the best

cycle61 Senior Member • Posts: 1,550

Dodi73 wrote:

Just to show what a beast of a lens is the 200 F/2 (showing an image
from Bjorn Rorslett site):

After that, I'm still persuaded they were completely blind !!!

I still want to see a picture of it attached to a D40. Anybody?

-- hide signature --

-Nick Davis
Please feel free to critique anything I post. I'm here to learn.

My galleries, such as they may be...
http://www.pbase.com/cycle61

Re: voyeurism

Thanks for a very thorough explanation of what "street photography" is. I do not disagree. I did not say however that these photos were that type. My title says " A Few Candids" How these will be perceived will be relative to people's sensitivities. I dot not expect all here to embrace them, hence the mixed reaction.

Kindest regards,
Pierre
--

Re: Pierre a few questions

Thank you Paul !

Paul.R.Lindqvist wrote:
First off nice shots, and nice looking subjects aswell. .-)

A few questions regarding the 200mm/2 VR

1.how often do you need support ?

I handhold my 200 f2 90% of the time for an outing and it could be for hours. One just feels inspired. Now if I had to carry a 10lb. sac of potatoes for the same length of time, that would be different.

2.how does it compare to the 70-200/2,8 Vr @ 200mm ?

Once I experienced the brilliancy of this lens my 70-200 2.8 stayed in the cupboard so I eventually parted ways with it. I did however recently add the 80-200 2.8 afs to cover the gap.

3.Have you ever been kicked down in the gutter, cuz they thought you
killed prinsess diana ?

I don't own a Bugatti motorcycle

Kindest
--
Regards
Paul L.

Best,
Pierre

-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/matrixone