Feisol Tripod

Started Jul 26, 2007 | Discussions
Nathan Sapp Regular Member • Posts: 221
Feisol Tripod

Hey all,

Feisol has a deal on right now for their older tripods. I was wondering what you thought about this combo: http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm

The 3301N?

I was planning on getting a Markins ball-head but that alone costs more than this whole set up.

I am using a D200, vertical grip, 17-55 and 70-200VR. The most I'll ever do is get a 1.7 teleconverter for my 70-200.

the max load of this combo is 15.35 pounds...the ballhead can handle 41 pounds though so I think that there would be a sweet spot for that.
I'd love user feedback from those that have used this before. Thanks,

Nate

Nathan Sapp's gear list:Nathan Sapp's gear list
Nikon D750
Rick L Contributing Member • Posts: 909
Re: Feisol Tripod

I have this setup (except with the 3401, more compact for traveling, a touch more setup time) for several years and have been VERY happy with it. It can handle what you propose with not problem (I use it with the D200 and up to the 70-200 VR with 2x adapter attached, have also used it with the heavier D1x). My brother has a Gitzo/Arca Swiss combo and he finds them essentially equal (except he likes the padding on the Feisol legs), so he wishes he bought my setup and saved money. The Feisol center post can be unscrewed and shortened, so you don't have to buy a separate short center post for low shooting, as you do with some brands. The knobs on the legs of the Gitzo are a bit nicer, but I've had no problems with mine.

When I bought it, it shipped from Taiwan, I believe, but I still got it in less than a week!

In old posts people had various complaints (e.g., no scale on the head for panos, no padding on legs). By the time I bought, they had made all the changes suggested in the posts. That seems very responsive to me.

I can't comment on customer service because I haven't needed any.

Rick
--
Rick L
http://www.pbase.com/ricklawrence/root

OP Nathan Sapp Regular Member • Posts: 221

Thanks Rick!

Thats great info. How do you fee the ball-head feels as far as quality? Do you have the CB-50HN? How does it handle with the 70-200 VR attached? Can you move the gear around without un-tightening the tension of the ball-head?

I've been considering a Markins M-10, but the cost of that ball-head alone would be more than this entire set-up! Let me know what you think about the ball-head.

thanks,

Nate

Nikon D750
NandoCam New Member • Posts: 20

Nathan,

I know that this isn't the same package that you are looking at, but I just received the Feisol 3371. It arrived in 4 business days, the transaction was very easy and I would purchase other products from them. My first impression of the tripod; it is very light, quality construction, the legs and locks work fine, very solid support. The spreader control bottons are a little bit stiff but lock into place and won't be a problem for me.

I mounted a Markins M20 head with RRS lever release clamp and attached a RRS L brackett to my d70s. I have the same lenses that you have and at some point might add to my kit. This set up is a bit more than I might need at this point, but I figured I would future proof. I wanted to go with a Gitzo, but I already streched my budget as far as I could and I think that the savings from the Feisol was a smart move for me. I'll see how it all works out as I put this gear to work. Just wanted to pass this on to you.
--
http://www.storyplan.zenfolio.com

OP Nathan Sapp Regular Member • Posts: 221

Thanks NandoCam,

That is basically the same set up that I've been wondering about until I saw the deal that Feisol has on thier older models. If you don't mind my asking, what was the final price out the door for that combo including the RRS clamp and brackets. Also, why did you get the RRS clamp and not just get the one that Markins makes?

Nate

Nikon D750
Roland Wooster Senior Member • Posts: 2,296

I'm delighted with my CT-3401, and Markins M10-L head.
I use a D200 with the 17-55, and 70-200 VR with both a 1.7TC and a 2.0TC.

The tripod and head have been absolutely fantastic. I was initially reluctant to spend so much on the tripod and head, but 3 years later I'm still thrilled with the setup, and so glad I went this route.

When shooting the 70-200VR with the 2.0TC there's some pretty severely visible shake in the system visible through the viewfinder after the shutter closes. It makes it very clear why MLU is available on the D200. I'm not at all convinced that the tripod/head makes much difference on this respect, I think it's just the mirror/shutter slap of the D200 is pretty heavy.

With the Markins system you buy a separate plate for the camera body versus for the 70-200VR, it makes things very very easy to use having both plates. I actually have another plate for my D70 too.

The only problem I've had with the tripod is the center column lock knob once unwound itself and fell out. This rendered my tripod basically unusable, or at least only of very marginal value - fortunately I was in the last three days of a three week vacation. Feisol sent me a replacement for free - outside of warrantee, so that was cool. Their newer design has eliminated the lock knob and instead has a lock twist shaft, rather like the legs, so I don't think on the newer models there's a risk of anything falling off. Also, what's dead cool about Feisol, they offer a $50 upgrade to buy a new style center column that can be retro fitted by the end user to the old style legs. So if I loose the lock knob again I'll probably upgrade the center column.

Roland.
--
Gallery at http://www.rolandwooster.com

NandoCam New Member • Posts: 20

Nathan,

The Markins M20 w a cover was $379.-, Feisol 3371 was $365, the RRS "L" bracket was 140.- the RRS B2LRII clamp was 120.- Total was a little over $1,000- including shipping. I hadn't set out to spend that much, but after doing research, I decided to go ahead and spend a little extra. I was going to buy a Gitzo GT2530 or GT3530lsv, but that would've stretched the budget too far, so I decided to go with Feisol and save a few hundred bucks. As far as the RRS gear, my background is in broadcast news, and the video cameras we use, attach to the tripods with lever release type clamps. I am used to this type of gear and the RRS B2LR II offers that style of mechanism, it offers solid locking. I am very impressed with the construction of their equipment...first class.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your purchase. There are a lot of very experienced people on this site, I found great information here!
Nando.
--
http://www.storyplan.zenfolio.com

Rick L Contributing Member • Posts: 909

I've been very happy with the head. As with all heads, getting the tension adjustment to your liking is key. For me, that's pretty stiff, and it still operates very smoothly. They added a knob compared to the earlier models (the one on front) so you can rotate it without easing the tension (this was added at the same time as the verticle scale, both to enable panos).

As to steadiness, I think it's as good as any comparable. It's important to used the hook on the bottom of the center column to hang you camera bag to add some weight, works really well.

Rick
--
Rick L
http://www.pbase.com/ricklawrence/root

slappomatt Regular Member • Posts: 414

Their heads look to be made by benro. I have the benro KS-1 (the big one) and I got the head off of ebay for around 140 shipped. its a pretty nice head although there are some coments about them being not very high quality internally. the insides look pretty poorly machined and the screw for the pan makes the head move when you tighten it. all in all its good for the price but its no markins or RRS head.

I only wonder why the other poster bought a markins head and then added a expensive clamp to it when it would have been much cheaper just to get a RRS head w the clamp and be done with it. $1000 is alot to spend on a tripod/head and only end up with a budget set of legs. IMO..
--
The past is just the future that already happened.....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads