For all the newbees and pros alike

Started Jul 23, 2007 | Discussions
alinutts Forum Member • Posts: 54
For all the newbees and pros alike

Just do it.

Go to http://www.friedmanarchives.com and order the book, the Complete Guide to Canon Digital Rebels. The only book that you will need to fully understand not only the Rebel series camera but what it takes to make you a better photographer. I am still a newbee and the author and very talented photographer Gary Friedman is responsible for making me what I am thus far.

I have read 3 other books on Canon Rebels and this book thumps them all. Read this book while sipping your wine/beer/kool aid, this book reads like a novel, written in a such a way, anybody with no knowledge in DSLRs can become a master.

-- hide signature --

alinutts

--
Canon 400D
Sigma 10-20mm
Canon 18-55mm
Canon 70-300mm IS
Slingshot 200
Hoya Pro1D Circular Pol.

chris-grant Senior Member • Posts: 1,160
Quite....

the price difference between the downloadable book and the printed version. The color one goes for $98 USD.

Which one do you have?

-- hide signature --
bluefox9er Senior Member • Posts: 1,881
Re: For all the newbees and pros alike

alinutts wrote:

Just do it.

Go to http://www.friedmanarchives.com and order the book, the Complete Guide
to Canon Digital Rebels. The only book that you will need to fully
understand not only the Rebel series camera but what it takes to make
you a better photographer. I am still a newbee and the author and
very talented photographer Gary Friedman is responsible for making me
what I am thus far.

I have read 3 other books on Canon Rebels and this book thumps them
all. Read this book while sipping your wine/beer/kool aid, this book
reads like a novel, written in a such a way, anybody with no
knowledge in DSLRs can become a master.

-- hide signature --

I downloaded the e-book after reccomendations on this site, and it is the best canon specific book I have so far, everyhting that the 'field guide' wanted to be but couldn't.

just a damn shame it's on my had drive and not a proper book
Time flies like an arrow...fruit flies like a bannana...

OP alinutts Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: Quite....

chris-grant wrote:

the price difference between the downloadable book and the printed
version. The color one goes for $98 USD.

Which one do you have?

The $25 e-book (full colors) is the best investment I have ever made, better investment than the gear I own in the bottom of this post.

I quote Gary Friedman from page 49....."Owning a Canon DSLR is like owning a Stradivarius Concert Violin--just because you have one doesn't mean you can make great music..."

-- hide signature --

alinutts

Canon 400D
Sigma 10-20mm
Canon 18-55mm
Canon 70-300mm IS
Slingshot 200
Hoya Pro1D Circular Pol.

chris-grant Senior Member • Posts: 1,160
Re: Quite....

alinutts,

You really believe the book is that good? I am considering buying this on your recommendation.

Chris

alinutts wrote:

chris-grant wrote:

the price difference between the downloadable book and the printed
version. The color one goes for $98 USD.

Which one do you have?

The $25 e-book (full colors) is the best investment I have ever made,
better investment than the gear I own in the bottom of this post.

I quote Gary Friedman from page 49....."Owning a Canon DSLR is like
owning a Stradivarius Concert Violin--just because you have one
doesn't mean you can make great music..."

-- hide signature --
visitkans Contributing Member • Posts: 808
really?

if its that amazing, let me also try one, any ideas on how this might compare to Bryan peterson's ?
--
*****************************************
Kannan.V
my foto gallery @ : http://www.vividscapes.com

ruiribeiro Forum Member • Posts: 53
Re: really?

Gray Friedman's book is mostly about using the Canon Digital Rebels, even if it includes a lot of advice on how to get good photos with them. It is what the Canon manual should be, lots of info on the camera's features and good advice on basic photography and flash use. It even covers the most relevant features of the bundled software. It's great fgor you to get to know everything about your D Rebel camera.

Bryan Peterson's book is mostly on photography. It's a great book, but a different one altogether.

I own both and I like them both a lot. You could start with Gary's book to learn your camera's features and them move on to Bryan's book to learn about photography - exposure, use of light, etc.

Mascot Regular Member • Posts: 383
DRM?

I'm considering buying the PDF.

Anyone know if it's hampered by any kind of digital restriction?

ruiribeiro Forum Member • Posts: 53
Re: DRM?

The pdf file has no DRM, it's not even password protected.

Mascot Regular Member • Posts: 383
Thanks (nt)

no text

bluefox9er Senior Member • Posts: 1,881
Re: DRM?

Mascot wrote:

I'm considering buying the PDF.

Anyone know if it's hampered by any kind of digital restriction?

-- hide signature --

get it...it's good. i downloaded it onto a memory stick for my laptop...no protection.
Time flies like an arrow...fruit flies like a bannana...

S2ISSA Regular Member • Posts: 132
Re: For all the newbees and pros alike

I downloaded the E-book. It is really good...something every Digital Rebel owner should have. I really like Gary's down-to-earth style of writing.

 S2ISSA's gear list:S2ISSA's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS Rebel T6s
uyman Forum Member • Posts: 87
Re: For all the newbees and pros alike

How does this compare to Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi/400D Digital Field Guide
by Charlotte K. Lowrie

OP alinutts Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: For all the newbees and pros alike

uyman wrote:

How does this compare to Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi/400D Digital
Field Guide
by Charlotte K. Lowrie

I actually own Ms. Lowrie's book. It is a good book, nonetheless. It reads like a regular Canon manual and she managed to explain all the features/buttons/ and settings and yes, that book will explain everything anyone needs to know about the Rebels and so will the Canon manual that came with your camera.

But what is so amazing about Friedman's book is THE WAY he explains everything. He really puts things in perspective and explains them in such a creative way, you will never feel like you are lost. I really like the general TIPS section found throughout the book and the number of real, colorful pictures he has in his book is 5 times the pictures from Lowrie's book.

Friedman's book is purposely organised in layers. His sense of humor and insight throughout the book is exceptional.

-- hide signature --

alinutts
--
Canon 400D
Sigma 10-20mm
Canon 18-55mm
Canon 70-300mm IS
Slingshot 200
Hoya Pro1D Circular Pol.

chris-grant Senior Member • Posts: 1,160
I took the plunge...

Just started reading it so I'll have to get back with everyone.

-- hide signature --
bluefox9er Senior Member • Posts: 1,881
Re: For all the newbees and pros alike

uyman wrote:

How does this compare to Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi/400D Digital
Field Guide
by Charlotte K. Lowrie

-- hide signature --

Moot point...the field guide is a glorified manual and very bland, but informative nevertheless...the ebook is also a glorified 'manual', but in my opinion, offers a lot more than just being auser manual.

the ebook actually fires up enthusiasm and makes you want to go out and shoot better photos with great tips and written in a style that treats you as a reader with a lot of importance. I wish the ebook was available as a hard copy regualr 'book', but it is well worth the money.
Time flies like an arrow...fruit flies like a bannana...

uyman Forum Member • Posts: 87
Re: For all the newbees and pros alike

Sounds good to me. I think this is what I've been looking for. I wish it was something I could carry around with me (maybe Kinko's can print it out and bind it for me or would that be a copyright violation?).
I'll let you all know what I think when I read it!

philmar Senior Member • Posts: 2,523
Re: For all the newbees and pros alike

tips...tips...

Can you give an example of one such tip.

 philmar's gear list:philmar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +1 more
bluefox9er Senior Member • Posts: 1,881
Re: For all the newbees and pros alike

philmar wrote:

tips...tips...

Can you give an example of one such tip.

-- hide signature --

the web page to it has some sample pages..go check it out...

Time flies like an arrow...fruit flies like a bannana...

Tracebuzta New Member • Posts: 15
Re: I took the plunge...

Same here, downloading now

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads