...............and everyday use. Im very happy with the lens
--
Dez

http://www.dezmix.com/photography

DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II
Jestner Forum Member • Posts: 74
Re: I agree, perfect for travel....

I truly don't think its very scarce anymore. I think the demand has just about matched up with the supply. There are numerous places where this lens is in-stock now, whereas previously, you couldn't find it anywhere. B&H was selling out of the lens in hours - whereas this latest order didn't sell out for about half a week.

I would predict that within the next couple months, the price will fall closer and under the MSRP of $699 (I believe that was the MSRP - which is hard to find now cause what store wants to say MSRP: $699, crossed out and then "On Sale: $749" You save -7%.

When all the various places have them, the competition will begin and the price will come down to a more reasonable level; more in line with what seems to be the value of build quality Nikon put forth in this product.

Howardtheduck Junior Member • Posts: 45
Over rated. Not worth 800. Maybe 500

I had one for 3 days and took it back, For 800 dollars I thought it would be better. Way over rated for the money, It is maybe a 500.00 lens at most. Yes it is handy, But the image quality isn't up to par.
jmo
--

raddog New Member • Posts: 20
sold out lense

None of the camera stores I have visited have any in stock, nor do the know when or how many they will be getting. On-line, the only place I have seen was a NYC store that when I googled their name I came up with a website posting a photo of the front of an abandonded warehouse for the given address of the store. I don't like the idea of being on a waiting list for who knows how long.

jjdnyc New Member • Posts: 21
Do I need VR?

So, I have a D70S and I use a non-VR 28-200mm 3.5-5.6G Nikkor lens. It think its great - but maybe I am too easily impressed.

At any rate, I have just ordered a D80 and will doing a Safari next month and I am wondering about whether I should switch to the VR lens. I have not taken a lot of shots at 200mm on my current lens, but when I have I have not been too worried by camera shake.

Here are some pics from out my office window at 20mm with my non-VR lens. Would these be sharper with the VR lens?

Re: Do I need VR?

Sorry - cannot get pics to embed. try this:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jjdnyc/Test/photo?authkey=TvkokXodqv8#5091925466239751826

http://picasaweb.google.com/jjdnyc/Test/photo?authkey=TvkokXodqv8#5091925483419621026

http://picasaweb.google.com/jjdnyc/Test/photo?authkey=TvkokXodqv8#5091925500599490226

So, I have a D70S and I use a non-VR 28-200mm 3.5-5.6G Nikkor lens. It think its great - but maybe I am too easily impressed.

At any rate, I have just ordered a D80 and will doing a Safari next month and I am wondering about whether I should switch to the VR lens. I have not taken a lot of shots at 200mm on my current lens, but when I have I have not been too worried by camera shake.

Here are some pics from out my office window at 20mm with my non-VR lens. Would these be sharper with the VR lens?

JeffryZ Senior Member • Posts: 2,473

Looks like haze is more of a problem than camera shake- which is what VR is intended to help with. A polarizer or UV filter can sometimes help to reduce it for a bit. As far as a safari, once you get out into the wide open spaces, a 200mm lens seems more like a normal 50mm lens. You will want at minimum a 300mm or 400mm lens perhaps with a teleconverter- depending on how close you will be to the wildlife. VR will definately help there. A tripod is also recommended if you tack on a teleconverter.
--
I would like to invite you to visit my photo gallery here:
http://www.pbase.com/jeffryz/galleries

Nikon D80
Nikon DX 18- 135mm f/3.5- 5.6 lens
Sigma 10- 20mm f/4.0- 5.6 lens
Nikon 70- 300mm VR

JeffryZ's gear list:JeffryZ's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +2 more
ob3 Junior Member • Posts: 42
Re: Perfect travel lens, images for proof.

very nice shots of quebec city and niagara
reminds me of my trip last year, it was a beautiful city

yes, I had the filter off for various reasons... And yes I hear you re the need for more than 200mm on safari. But as to the idea of replacing my 28-200 with an 18-200 VR as my all purpose lens, is this worth doing?

RAL Veteran Member • Posts: 6,377
Yes

I have the 28-200 and the 18-200vr, and my copy of the 18-200 is sharper than my 28-200 with the added benefit of having wide angle capability and vr.

tugelbend Regular Member • Posts: 233

I bought this lens for my new D80, but must admit, I felt a little disappointed, not thinking it was as good as my other lenses ( Sigma 28-200 and a Sigma 70-300APO).

I used it for a while to get used to it then did a comparison with the other two.

Well, its better. More contrast, more detail and the VR really does make a difference.

I only use the 70-300 now for Macro shots ( its excellent at that, well, for me it is!)

Should you buy it? yes, and your lucky over there, in the UK, it cost me the equivalent of just over $1000!

Allan
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allans/

zygh
zygh Senior Member • Posts: 1,798
the 18-200mm is a great lens...

for what it is. don't use it for something it can't do and you'll be a happy snapper.

it's one of the best prosumer lenses out there. maybe a little too pricey because of the short supply but definitely worth it if you have a good idea what yr needs are and why you're buying it.

i got mine a few days ago and been getting out every day with it just to check it out. i am pleased with it's performance. certainly won't catch any of the primes i also use but that was never the idea. the idea is, though, that it can be used in a great variety of situations and it will perform better than most, if not all, prosumer lenses.

zygh's gear list:zygh's gear list
Nikon D40 NEX5R Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads