18-200mm really moves off shelves

Started Jul 23, 2007 | Discussions
ShutterNot
ShutterNot Veteran Member • Posts: 3,705
18-200mm really moves off shelves

WOW .... I happened to check B&H and they had the USA 18-200mm VR in stock-for $749 .... next day they were sold out when I checked on the status of my order.

I sure hope this lens is as good as it's brisk sales seem to indicate.

. -
ShutterNot

G3, D70s, A610, PRO1

ShutterNot's gear list:ShutterNot's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
sharkync Senior Member • Posts: 1,133
Re: 18-200mm really moves off shelves

I don't believe it is - certainly not from the examples I have seen - but it is TRENDY.
--

Photography - One of the few things you can still do legally - sort of.

JeffryZ Senior Member • Posts: 2,464

The scarcity as well as the "does everything" -ness of it is attractive to many. The problem with a lens that tries to do everything is that it is often not as good as alternatives with less ambitious aims. I have been happy with my 18- 135mm (which reviews and shots I have seen show is sharper) combined with either my wide angle or telephoto zoom- the price of any two is about the cost of the 18- 200mm VR and have better quality images. But again, if say you are travelling and only want to take one lens, the 18- 200mm can be an excellent choice. We are not talking huge differences in the image quality. Most 18- 200mm owners are probably very happy with their lens.
--
I would like to invite you to visit my photo gallery here:
http://www.pbase.com/jeffryz/galleries

Nikon D80
Nikon DX 18- 135mm f/3.5- 5.6 lens
Sigma 10- 20mm f/4.0- 5.6 lens
Nikon 70- 300mm VR

JeffryZ's gear list:JeffryZ's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
ShutterNot
OP ShutterNot Veteran Member • Posts: 3,705

I currently don't own a VR lens. I considered the other lenses and finally decided to bite the bullet.

GOSH .... I sure hope this ISN't a trend as someone suggested. That would be awfull. I really looked at this as a way to buy just one VR lens verses several VR lenses. It wouldn't be the first mistake I ever made in my life. (that was my ex

-- hide signature --

ShutterNot

G3, D70s, A610, PRO1

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
Robert Iorizzo Regular Member • Posts: 207

I have the 18-200 vr dx ed lens. I bought it because Im tired of needing a camera bearer when I go out. However, I would never have compromised the

realistic quality for slight inconvienence. The lens with its 10x plus optical zoom, the VR and ED qualities make it a real winner. The only shortfall for me is it lacks macro. Check the reviews they match my experiences with the lens, its awsome.
Bob

Robert Iorizzo's gear list:Robert Iorizzo's gear list
Epson Stylus Photo R3000
Nadia373 Junior Member • Posts: 34

I was a bit disappointed when I first got my 18-200mm but that was because I was used to the quality and reach of the 70-200mm. The reality is I rarely put my 70-200mm on my camera (very heavy) for just shooting here and there. With the 18-200mm I find myself having more flexibility and no compromise. I shoot in RAW and if I need to sharpen or make changes it is easy. Just my thoughts.
Nadia

LeungPhotos
LeungPhotos Forum Pro • Posts: 11,757

Expect it to be a great all-around walk-around lens. Don't expect perfection and don't expect it to be the best thing since sliced bread.

Keep expectations low and you will be nicely surprised.

-- hide signature --
 LeungPhotos's gear list:LeungPhotos's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +7 more
thehickoks Contributing Member • Posts: 767

The 18-200 is great...

And those who question its greatness are either lens snobs or noobs who're clueless...

Franklin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,339
Perfect travel lens, images for proof.

I find the Nikon 18-200 VR in combination with their D40 puts fun back into photography while on vacation. I recently took a one week vacation to Canada and used my D40 with 18-200 VR extensively and exclusively. I found the combo is a joy to use and not too heavy to carry with me all the time. Here some sample pictures I took

These have been posted before. To view all, go to http://www.pbase.com/franklin/canada2007

View of Quebec city and St. Lawrence River from Citadelle

Old Quebec

Quebec Restaurant Hostess (1/13sec f5.6 ISO1600)

Interior of Notre-Dame Basilica of Montreal (1/10sec f3.5 ISO1600)

Ostrich close-up at Africa Lion Safari

Niagara Falls and Rainbow

Maid of the Mist approaching Horse-shoe Fall

Seagull near Niagara Falls

ShutterNot wrote:

WOW .... I happened to check B&H and they had the USA 18-200mm VR in
stock-for $749 .... next day they were sold out when I checked on the
status of my order.

. -
ShutterNot

G3, D70s, A610, PRO1

frnkln124 New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Perfect travel lens, images for proof.

I agree this a great travel lens. Just got back from a week on Martha's Vineyard and was impressed by the quality of the images and more importantly by the vastly increased number of keepers I got. I am not the most steady shooter, and traveling with family in tow, I don't have the luxury of having a lot of time to get the perfect shot. The VR has certainly helped a lot. Yes it's not perfect, but for the price, you get a 'lot' of lens.

Lupti
Lupti Senior Member • Posts: 1,577

I think the lens is too expensive. I got an 18-135mm instead. Only the half price, lighter, no zoom creeping and the difference between 200mm(135mm on a crop camera) and 300mm(200mm on a crop camera) isn´t so big. I don´t see a reason to pay the double price for 100mm more and VR. For the single price of an 18-200mm I can get a Pentax K100D with an Sigma or Tamron 18-200mm. The same range with VR.

If I want a really big zoom range, I take my 70-300mm VR.

-- hide signature --

(_ )
(X.X )
(>

RAL Veteran Member • Posts: 6,377

If they are all like mine, you'll love it. I don't know if there is a large variation in quality or what, but my sample is supurb. I have a dozen or so other nikon lenses in the normal consumer type range (no $1000 + stuff) and it is the equal at the least of any of them. I find the results better than most actually. I used to put down the real need of vr, priding myself on my hand holding abilities, but have changed my opinion of the vr effectiveness now. Where before vr, I would occasionally have a shot or so that just wasn't as sharp as I thought it should be, that just doesn't happen with my 18-200 vr. Add that to the versatility and I would recommend it to anyone.

creeker Senior Member • Posts: 1,450

ShutterNot, you'll enjoy the 18-200vr. I've had mine about a year now, and won't part with it. The IQ on mine is excelent, and it's on my D80 most of the time. Enjoy your new lens.
Ed

P.S. somewhere in my photo files I lhave a picture like yours, of the shack, on the land accross from the Guilford dock. Taken with the 18-200VR.

ShutterNot

All I can say is ...... WOW !!!! The lens in the right hands takes excellent pictures. I hope I can do half as well.

GREAT SHOTS
--
ShutterNot

G3, D70s, A610, PRO1

ShutterNot

You recognized the spot .... ..... hello neighbor.

I will have to take that shot of the shack over. That was taken with my G3 some years back when the whole Guilford harbor froze over.

-- hide signature --

ShutterNot

G3, D70s, A610, PRO1

ChannyBear Regular Member • Posts: 180
Re: nice pictures

I think you could have made those pictures with any other lens. Is Notre-Dame Basilica picture straight out of your D40 or you PPed it? It's so colorful.

Flako Regular Member • Posts: 419

IMO, it is a good lens. The following link shows a "chile morron" shot
in my house kitchen.

http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/big.asp?photoID=3805696&catID=&style=&rowNumber=22&memberID=163883

Art

Bill_Rohr Regular Member • Posts: 425

Franklin,

Wow, those are gorgeous. Did you shoot RAW or jpeg? What were your in camera settings. Did you post process and what did you do to get those photos.
--

Bill

jefenniejr Regular Member • Posts: 317
Re: 18-200mm - Sweet

Like most tools, the 18-200 if used within its limits, performs quite admirably. It can't do what primes can, unless you always shoot in its sweet spot. But the VR really extends that sweet spot.

An example:

If you like travelling light this lens can do quite a lot...and you'll have fun with it. I am sure.

• N Fennie

-- hide signature --

“The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science...' - Albert Einstein

http://www.lightimpressions.smugmug.com

jefenniejr's gear list:jefenniejr's gear list
Leica D-LUX 5 Leica D-LUX 3 Nikon Z6 Nikon D810 Nikon 85mm F1.8G +8 more
thomas2279 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,876

Agree but it is a great all in one zoom lens for carrying around for travelling and generally for events like steam fairs; car events, etc.
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads