Yeah really!

This is an English speaking site!

John-G wrote:

Can someone translate?

-- hide signature --

Bond, James Bond.

Orcatek Regular Member • Posts: 360
Re: Translation? (nt)

Go here http://babelfish.altavista.com/ and translate from german to english. You can just give it the link.

I read it and it mention a rumor about a chip replacement and sending cameras in. I don't put much stock in it.

OP ggk New Member • Posts: 18

Orcatek wrote:

Go here http://babelfish.altavista.com/ and translate from german to
english. You can just give it the link.

I read it and it mention a rumor about a chip replacement and sending
cameras in. I don't put much stock in it.

it's not a rumor!
Mr. Hermanns from Canon CPS Germany confirmed it (phone call)

DotCom Editor Veteran Member • Posts: 7,679
A new chip could get messy

Certainly, to save space, all components are wave-soldered to the circuit boards and flexible circuit sheets. Removing and replacing a chip is not insignificant.

-- hide signature --

I coulda had a V8 -- but I bought a 1D Mark III instead

When I ask which Canon lenses are best,
people tell me to 'go to L.'

DotCom Editor's gear list:DotCom Editor's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +3 more
BusyBeingBorn Regular Member • Posts: 491
Quick translation

(in quotes, no guarantee for content or clarity
)
Ich muss da einiges klarstellen:
"I must make it clear"

1. Es gibt natürlich KEINE offizielle Rückrufaktion von CANON
"There is of cause NO officail callback from Canon"

2. Seit gestern 16 Uhr haben wir von CANON / CPS / Hr. Hermanns die tel. Mitteilung vorliegen, dass wir die Kunden ( UND WIRKLICH NUR DIE !!!!), die Probleme mit dem AI-SERVO der Mark III haben , bitten sollen, ihre Kamera an den CPS-Service in Willich einzusenden.

"Yesterday at 4 PM we have received from CANON/CPS/Mr. Hermans the verbal (by phone) message that customers (and ABSOLUTELY ONLY THOSE) with problems with the AI Servo in MkIIII can send their cameras ito CPS-Servicen at Willich.

3. Der Service wird die Kameras untersuchen und - nur soweit notwendig - ein "Teilchen"(?) austauschen.

"CPS Service will examine the camera - and if needed - replace a small component"
(in an earlier post there was talk about a chip replacement).

4. Meine Frage, ob das Problem damit beseitigt wäre, wurde mit einem klaren "JA" beantwortet.
"On my questioning that the problem would be fixed, a clear YES was the answer"

Wir haben sehr viele zufriedene Mark III Kunden, daher wäre es völlig falsch, wenn JEDER Mark III Besitzer seine Kamera einschicken würde. Es betrifft nur die Kameras der Kunden, die mit der AF-Tracking-Leistung im AI-SERVO nicht zufrieden sind.

"We have many satisfied Mark III customer, so it is not true ALL owners should send in their camera. Only those cameras where the customer is not satisfied"

Weitere Informationen liegen uns leider im Moment nicht vor.
"further information is not available"

Wir hoffe, dass nach Behebung des HW-Problems die Auslieferungsquoten der Kamera wieder deutlich nach oben gehen werden.

"We hope that the elimination of the HW-probles means that the deliveries will increase"

Viel Spaß
"Have fun"

Klaus Bothe
Isarfoto Bothe
--
'He not busy being born, is busy dying' Bob Dylan

mrosen_ams New Member • Posts: 3
Re: A new chip could get messy

DotCom Editor wrote:

Certainly, to save space, all components are wave-soldered to the
circuit boards and flexible circuit sheets. Removing and replacing a
chip is not insignificant.

It is not likely any serious soldering will be done. More likely a board or such will be replaced.

HD_Images Regular Member • Posts: 120
Re: Not according to Canon Canada

When I had my III updated yesterday I asked if any hardware updates, or internal adjustments are available, the manager said only the firmware.

PalmsWestPhoto Forum Pro • Posts: 10,003
nonsense

the site simply has more rumors than dpreview thats all (if that is possible)

there is absolutely nothing tangible in that thread except that someone received firmware .9. Everything else is simply not worth repeating

-- hide signature --

Michael Salzlechner
http://www.PalmsWestPhoto.com

montereyphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,386
Re: A new chip could get messy

Considering that Canon has firmware available and anyone can walk into a Canon repair center and walk away with 1.09 installed, and many people in the UK and the USA have done so already, one has to wonder why Canon has not made the firmware available for download. One reasonable explanation as to why a technician at a repair facility has to apply the firmware upgrade is that something else is being done inside the camera at the same time. The person leaving Canon with their updated Mark III can only see the new firmware. They have no way of knowing if a new part has been installed as well.

I can see where Canon does not want its repair facilities overwhelmed with thousands of Mark III's coming in each day. It would effectively shut them down. Better to restrict access to the repairs as they are presently doing.

John-G Veteran Member • Posts: 4,931
Better translation

I only got as far as the "Vee have vays...."

John-G Veteran Member • Posts: 4,931
Easy to tell

montereyphoto wrote:

Considering that Canon has firmware available and anyone can walk
into a Canon repair center and walk away with 1.09 installed, and
many people in the UK and the USA have done so already, one has to
wonder why Canon has not made the firmware available for download.
One reasonable explanation as to why a technician at a repair
facility has to apply the firmware upgrade is that something else is
being done inside the camera at the same time.

This should be easy to tell. Are the philips screw heads messed up on the front of the camera? Are there new scratches on the camera body?

Any time I've had a camera serviced by Canon they always manage to mar the philips screw heads and put a few new scratches on the camera.

Old Camera Dude New Member • Posts: 3
dnjake Senior Member • Posts: 2,702
No way to know

I tend to believe that there is some kind of hardware issue at the root of the problem. But the reality is that there is no way to know. All you will be able to know for sure is whether your 1D Mark III winds up working to your satisfaction and whether some of the more credible photographers who have had problems with the camera decide that it is working all right. But I do think it will be a problem for Canon if they don't get Rob Galbraith to say that his camera is fixed.
--
David Jacobson
http://www.pbase.com/dnjake

cityphotog Senior Member • Posts: 1,337
true

given the fact that the "reviewers" didn't see any problem in the first place (and that didn't look good for a reviewer..at all) , I too believe that RG is the only one able to "talk" about it. Unless our Phil decides to break the silence (since I also believe that this very site here is the most important review-site today)

At this point, after the firmware, we can only say that Canon is indeed trying. But again, like you said, until RG comes out with a positive review the doubts will remain.

Flasheart Regular Member • Posts: 254
Re: Easy to tell

Right i have had the firmware upgrade done.

Nothing was done to it other than the firmware. No screws replaced, not chips nothing.

However no doubt no one will believe this - the conspiracy theory is just too nice to believe for some.

Garen Senior Member • Posts: 1,133
Re: Quick translation

Interesting read, thanks a lot for translating it.

Best regards,
Garen
--
Who says it can't be done?

Paavo Senior Member • Posts: 1,369
maybe because...

they want to test the firmware more thoroughly via their repair centers before mass distributing it. Since they didn't catch the "bad units" when originally shipped, they may not necessarily have sufficient testing environment to ensure the firmware solves the problem.
--
~ Kevin ~

Visit my newly created gallery: http://www.NatureImagesByKevin.com

You can find me also at:
http://www.Pixel-Shooter.com

Paavo's gear list:Paavo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +2 more
Marcel Knaapen Regular Member • Posts: 258
They mention hardware, not necesarrily electronics!

Orcatek wrote:

I read it and it mention a rumor about a chip replacement and sending
cameras in. I don't put much stock in it.

It could be an optical thing as wel.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads