Question for Markins Owners

Started Jul 20, 2007 | Discussions
danidentity Contributing Member • Posts: 737
Question for Markins Owners

I received my Markins M10 yesterday. There is a very small scuff on the body of the head that you can only see in the right light. There is also some scuff marks on the grey part of the knob, that you also can only see in the right light.

I'm wondering if you think I should exchange the head for another. How scuffed up/scratched do these heads get in normal use? You probably think I'm being paranoid, but I tend to be pretty picky about these things.

DenverBryan Senior Member • Posts: 1,014
I have the M10

I've had mine for around 2 years. Great piece of equipment.

I have dropped it on rocks, stuffed it in countless airline carryons, banged it in to walls...
Well, you get the picture.

The body is still flawless. No scratches or scuffs. But the knobs do show a little wear, as does the quick release plate.

Although it is awesome, and a critical piece of photographic equipment, I don't consider it something that needs to be babied.

Personally, I probably wouldn't return it since I don't care what it looks like. But it is your money, and I can certainly understand that you want new equipment to look new, and it is certainly within your right to make that so. So, if you have any concerns, make the switch.

Plus, the guys at Nikonians are awesome and would gladly replace your M10. When I bought my M10 years ago, they were out of stock. So, they guy actually sent me his personal M20 to use, until my new M10 was ready. How is THAT for customer service? Awesome!

Cheers,
Bryan...

Humanoid
Humanoid Veteran Member • Posts: 4,687
Re: I have the M10

I've had mine for a few years and it has its share of scratches from normal use. It performs as new and I never had a problem with it.

Being that the head is merely a pack mule for my lenses and camera's, I don't worry about litte scratches with it, but if it were my camera or car that would be another story, as I'm much more anal about them.

Nothing to worry about IMO unless your degree of anality is so high it warrants you to send it back.

Here is mine with my Gitzo 3530s.

-- hide signature --

Just another Shooter.

Humanoid's gear list:Humanoid's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +9 more
Dude!

You cammo tripod sleeves ROCK! Very stealth!

However, I must say, your M10 is much dirtier than mine! Although mine is more scuffed up.

OP danidentity Contributing Member • Posts: 737
Re: Question for Markins Owners

Thanks guys, I'm probably not going to return it. The blemishes probably came that way from the factory. And it's probably going to get beat up during use anyway. And if I returned it there's no guarantee I wouldn't get another one back with similar blemishes.

One more

You should still tell them about the blemishes. They might give you a break on future sales. Plus, they really do need to know if there are quality control issues with their products, or issues with protection during shipping. They would probably be happy to hear your feedback.

Slough Senior Member • Posts: 1,809

danidentity wrote:

I received my Markins M10 yesterday. There is a very small scuff on
the body of the head that you can only see in the right light. There
is also some scuff marks on the grey part of the knob, that you also
can only see in the right light.

I'm wondering if you think I should exchange the head for another.
How scuffed up/scratched do these heads get in normal use? You
probably think I'm being paranoid, but I tend to be pretty picky
about these things.

It should be perfect on receipt, so I would examine it carefully and make sure it is not faulty. If the marks are only cosmetic, then you have to ask yourself if it matters. As others have mentioned, a head is a tool, and the function is what counts. I would not be too bothered. Exchanging it will probably cost you shipping.

I have had mine almost 18 months and there are almost no marks despite constant use. The surface finish is very tough. But marks do not bother me.

Marks on my camera do bother me because I might at some stage sell it. But not the head.

mpixel Veteran Member • Posts: 5,779

Hi,

I bought the M20 a few weeks ago and it was perfect out of the box.

However as I handled it I noticed that it got what seemed to be scuff marks on it. I just wiped them (with a dry cloth) and they went away. I wasn't worried because I'd seen this before when I had tested the Canon 350D. The surface seems to mark but doesn't really.

Have you tried gently buffing the scuff marks with a dry cloth just to see if they go away? If they don’t then you should let Markins know.

I've used my head in all kinds of conditions but it is still like new.

danidentity wrote:

I received my Markins M10 yesterday. There is a very small scuff on
the body of the head that you can only see in the right light. There
is also some scuff marks on the grey part of the knob, that you also
can only see in the right light.

I'm wondering if you think I should exchange the head for another.
How scuffed up/scratched do these heads get in normal use? You
probably think I'm being paranoid, but I tend to be pretty picky
about these things.

-- hide signature --

GMT+1 (BST)

LilKnytt Veteran Member • Posts: 7,213

I've had my M20 for a few months by now. It arrived in MINT condition & I would say it still is in mint condition. It should arrive in mint condition based upon it's cost & the precision instrument it is.

Lil
--

A very humble beginning of a gallery, showing my progression with help from caring friends especially on DPR, can be visited by friends & family at

http://lilknytt.zenfolio.com/

Remember - - - it's humble, very humble

mpixel Veteran Member • Posts: 5,779

mpixel wrote:
[...]

Lol. Maybe I'm just tired but I just read back this line.

I've used my head in all kinds of conditions but it is still like new.

[...]
--
GMT+1 (BST)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads