Airport security

Started Jul 16, 2007 | Discussions
msnikon Forum Member • Posts: 69
Airport security

Hello again. I am planing on going to florida in a few weeks. I am excited because i will finally be able to use my d80 and my 18-200 vr. The only thing i am nervous about is airport security. I was wondering if the xrays or those wands they wave to scan you or anything else there will damage my dslr or my lense or any of my accessories. Such as filters batteries and memory cards. If so what could i do so it wouldnt, such as having them hand screen it. Or is that not necisary.

Also if anyone travels a lt i was just wondering what some extra odds and ends were that you take in your camera bag to help wwith your photography when you travel. I already have my camera, 18-200, uv, and circular polarizer filters, an extra battery, my charger, a cleaning cloth, a tripod, and my 4 gig card. Is there anything that you recomend i should take that you thinki will need to use in florida. This might a stupid question i just didnt know if i should bring anything else considering i am spending 2 weeks there and the weather is a lot different.

As always thatns for the advice,

Mitch

Bill Randall
Bill Randall Forum Pro • Posts: 21,969
Re: Airport security

msnikon wrote:

I was
wondering if the xrays or those wands they wave to scan you or
anything else there will damage my dslr or my lense or any of my
accessories. Such as filters batteries and memory cards.

The carry on luggage conveyor belt x-ray is no problem. The checked luggage and wand may harm your camera and disks.

-- hide signature --

FINE PRINT: I reserve the right to be wrong. Should you prove me wrong, I reserve the right to change my mind.

Bill Randall's gear list:Bill Randall's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S602 Zoom Nikon D200 Nikon D5200 Nikon D5600
Ray Maines
Ray Maines Veteran Member • Posts: 4,142

Take your camera and gear, and anything else small and valuable (including laptop computer & Rx drugs) with you onto the plane. X-Rays won't hurt your stuff but I wouldn't trust a baggage handler for a nanosecond.
--

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Rokinon 8mm F2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +4 more
jondoe955 Junior Member • Posts: 36

Here in Atlanta, they have a new system in place for baggage. It is supposedly so good and detailed that few bags are searched any more, unless they alarm. If it can't be cleared on the screen, it will then be searched. But from what a friend told me, they have gotten rid of most of the baggage screeners (most things are just shuffled around on conveyer belts now) and sent them to passenger screening.

And hopefully, the ones they got rid of were the apes that loved throwing bags down chutes (instead of putting them on the belts), or into a wall when they missed. Most likely, tho, these guys are now supervisors. It used to be interesting to watch these thugs, but they now work underground, out of site.

Agree - take anything of value, esp. drugs, on with you. You never know if they will follow you onto the same plane, or (for medication) how long you will be stuck on the plane, with no way out - with no A/C - or at some airport.

When I travel for the gov, I carry on 2 laptops, a bag, a camera bag and a 130mm MAK scope (for fun). I've gotten on that way a dozen times (with few arguments) and, on a very crowded flight they had to walk the scope down to baggage. It went in last and was waiting for me when I got off, so I wasn't too worried. Now if my new hip only made me look less like a terrorist...

MusicDoctorDJ Forum Pro • Posts: 12,400

When I flew to Tampa back in March I put my monopod and all of my battery chargers in my luggage.

I've had a couple of my customers tell me they've had trouble getting through security with their battery chargers . . .

One said that they made him remove his chargers from his camera bag and leave them behind!
--
J. Daniels
Colorful Colorado
Panasonic FZ10, FZ50 & Fuji S602Z owner & operator

Remember . . . always keep the box and everything that came in it!

Sonyad Senior Member • Posts: 1,861

I believe the TSA guidelines say it's okay to have a battery inside your equipment, but any spare battery needs to be checked.

OP msnikon Forum Member • Posts: 69

Thanks for all the help. Ill only have them put it on the convayer belt to scan it and i will carry it on with my. I am jst hoping i wont have any problems with my extra battery and my charger. Because i am not going to check any bags. Thanks again,

Mitch

gaussian blur Veteran Member • Posts: 5,459

Sonyad wrote:

I believe the TSA guidelines say it's okay to have a battery inside
your equipment, but any spare battery needs to be checked.

There is no such guideline. Spare batteries are perfectly fine as far as the TSA is concerned. Other countries may have different rules.

poliscijustin Veteran Member • Posts: 5,512

AFAIK, screening equipment does not hurt digital cameras.

As for what to take, i'd get a rocket blower too in case you need to clean the sensor while you are away. I always travel with one.
--

A small but growing collection of my photos can be seen at
http://www.pbase.com/poliscijustin

Sonyad Senior Member • Posts: 1,861

Yep, I misread the guideline. It said to leave the spare battery in the original packing and put it in the carryon, not the checked in luggage.

Bob Nichol Regular Member • Posts: 131

I just flew Toronto, Miami, Curacao return in June with a D70s, 4 lenses, SB600 with spare batteries for camera and flash without incident. Toronto security put the sniffer on the camera bag and examined each piece quickly but Miami just ran the bag through the scanner.
--
Best regards, Bob Nichol

gaussian blur wrote:

Sonyad wrote:

I believe the TSA guidelines say it's okay to have a battery inside
your equipment, but any spare battery needs to be checked.

There is no such guideline. Spare batteries are perfectly fine as
far as the TSA is concerned. Other countries may have different
rules.

Doesn't matter what the guideline says . . .

All it takes is one of the security personel to decide to be an a-hole and you might just miss your plane!

I figured why take the risk and just put those things in my luggage so it would be a non-issue.

-- hide signature --

J. Daniels
Colorful Colorado

Pedagydusz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,563
A 130 mm diameter telescope?

What scope is that? A Maksutov-Cassegrain? It must be huge, by airtravel standards, and weight well over 3 kg by itself. And it will need a beefy tripod (if not a proper mount)!
How do you manage?
--
Antonio

http://ferrer.smugmug.com/

Pedagydusz's gear list:Pedagydusz's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +3 more
gaussian blur Veteran Member • Posts: 5,459

MusicDoctorDJ wrote:

Doesn't matter what the guideline says . . .

Actually, it does. The TSA agents are required to follow their standard operating procedure. Deviating from it can result in being reprimanded. That's why they are so many stupid procedures like running the wand over bare feet. Exactly what do they expect to find? A surgically implanted knife?

All it takes is one of the security personel to decide to be an
a-hole and you might just miss your plane!

True, but this is fairly rare and you won't miss the flight unless you start arguing about it. Ask for a supervisor if there's a problem. I know of several instances where the TSA were overstepping their bounds and the passenger remained calm (important) and called over a law enforcement officer who evaluated the situation and promptly told the TSA agent that he was mistaken. However, do something to annoy them and they can make your day quite miserable.

I figured why take the risk and just put those things in my luggage
so it would be a non-issue.

And risk it being stolen by one of the TSA agents in the baggage handling area? Or lost by the airline? No thanks. Not to mention that for short trips, checking luggage is impractical.

Cameras, batteries and chargers are allowed in carry-on in the United States. In other countries, it may be different. For example, in India, batteries must be checked.

The TSA is more concerned with finding bottles of water. In fact, in a recent 'test' the TSA found the water but missed the bombs:

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=603177

Don Krauss
Don Krauss Contributing Member • Posts: 720
Rains a lot

Bring a waterproof camera bag, and a poncho for yourself. It rains about every day in buckets. Also, if you visit the theme parks, you may get wet just walking around. Water spouts and sprays are popular in the summer to keep cool, but it is not great for cameras. People just love to get wet in 90 degree temps

DK

newmikey Veteran Member • Posts: 4,938

poliscijustin wrote:

AFAIK, screening equipment does not hurt digital cameras.

As for what to take, i'd get a rocket blower too in case you need to
clean the sensor while you are away. I always travel with one.
--

A small but growing collection of my photos can be seen at
http://www.pbase.com/poliscijustin

In view of airport security, you might want to rename it to something else than "rocket blower"
--
I am the best proof in the world that Intelligent Design does not exist!
http://www.pbase.com/newmikey
All shots handled by UFRaw-Assist on PCLinuxOS
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/UFRaw-Assist?content=56328

newmikey's gear list:newmikey's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +3 more
linuxworks Forum Pro • Posts: 18,937

newmikey wrote:

In view of airport security, you might want to rename it to something
else than "rocket blower"

LOL!

I see a new market. 'hello kitty' dust blowers, sans the 'rocket' name. nice and 'non threatening'.

-- hide signature --
Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 18,895
Today (Tuesday), I went through the Houston, Newark and Beijing

airports with no problem with all of my batteries, chargers, etc., in my carry-on baggage, as usual. I don't know why anyone would worry about this when half the people on any plane are using iPods, which also use flash memory, etc.

Two months ago I went through the Beijing, Newark, Minneapolis, Sioux Falls, and LaGuardia airports also with no problem, although I had to give up a can of beer in Shenzhen two weeks ago.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Leica C-Lux +8 more
Re: Today (Tuesday), I went through the Houston, Newark and Beijing

I'm just telling you that I've had two customers tell me that they've had problems . . .

One coming back from Cancun . . . the other happened right here at DIA (Denver International Airport).

All it takes is one security person who doesn't like your shoes, haircut, tatoos or piercings to give you some grief.

I figure why chance it and just put those things in the baggage so that it will be a non-issue!

-- hide signature --

J. Daniels
Colorful Colorado

Timskis6 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,565
No damage, they'll want to check it

There will be absolutely no damage to your electronics by airport security devices. You're more likely to have something broken if you leave it in your checked baggage and it's dropped - carry everything on the aircraft with you.

Your lenses and bodies are very likely to trigger a hand inspection since the x-ray scanners just see everything as a "pile of dense material." I've been through about 10 airports in the last month or two with two bodies, 3 lenses, 2 hard drives, memory cards, underwater housings, batteries, etc. Only twice was I allowed through without having to open up my bag for security measures. No problem though.
--
Tim
'Be the change you wish to see in the world.' -Mahatma Gandhi
http://www.flickr.com/photos/timskis6/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads