Just a new 5D sample pic of mine :-)

Started Jun 26, 2007 | Discussions
RiceHigh C Forum Member • Posts: 50
Just a new 5D sample pic of mine :-)

Directly out of the camera with Neutral Picture Style with +2 Sharpness (sharpening level). Everything at default: P mode, ISO 100, evaluative metering: f/11, 1/250th second. Lens used: 24-105L at 24mm.

(Warning: Large file of 4.4 MB!)

Or, downsized one at 1280 x 853 here:

I find that the exposure is quite right (especially considering the difficult lighting condition and scene like this), resolution is very high, brightness and contrast just right, colours are very faithful to what my eyes can see, dynamic range is good, and, even more, I found that this picture is quite 3d! (So, someone's theory for suggesting about shallow DoF yielding strong 3d feel is not substantiated by my this example! (with great DoF)

What do you think?

p.s. You can always use any EXIF viewer (browser plug-in recommended to view all others shooting info details).

-- hide signature --
OP RiceHigh C Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: Ooops.. Forget to add the semicolon for the jpeg links! n/t
-- hide signature --
OP RiceHigh C Forum Member • Posts: 50
Blown Highlights of Canon Pics by Canon DSLRs?

I have viewed the pic on two different desktop monitors (a higher and newer EIZO model Vs a older and lower grade one) and my Toshiba Laptop. I find that the highlights and details for the boats are seen to be lost except on the best and latest EIZO model, which is capable to reproduce extreme highlights tones and shadows as well.

So, when some people do often talk about blown highlights by Canon DSLRs, would it be possible that it is a "blown highlight" problem by our monitors actually, instead?

Afterall, I have found that my Canon 5D preserves highlights very well, even for just shooting straight jpegs, although the recorded tonal levels are a bit close to the extreme and near the 255, but, they are not clipped! There are a lot of my new shots show the same and the recorded highlights do even brighter than the boats in this pic - still, the pic data are still there!

-- hide signature --
bross1 Regular Member • Posts: 273
Re: Just a new 5D sample pic of mine :-)

Looks like you need to do a little sensor cleaning. Just a heads-up.

Olga Johnson Forum Pro • Posts: 23,319
Re: Blown Highlights of Canon Pics by Canon DSLRs?

You should look at the histogram if you want to determine if you have blown highlights. The histogram shows no blown highlights. So it sounds like one of your monitors is overly bright.

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon G3 X Canon EOS M +14 more
greentoe Veteran Member • Posts: 4,490
Hmmm... Emerald anyone?

RiceHigh C wrote:

[snip]
very high, brightness and contrast just right, colours are very
faithful to what my eyes can see, dynamic range is good, and, even
more, I found that this picture is quite 3d!

Well, what I think... this is one scene where perhaps one of the more creative (and thus not general purpose) PictureStyles (e.g., Emerald) may have yielded a more intriguing photo.

Question: ought a photo show colors that are "faithful to what my eyes can see" ?

Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 33,479

RiceHigh C wrote:

So, when some people do often talk about blown highlights by Canon
DSLRs, would it be possible that it is a "blown highlight" problem
by our monitors actually, instead?

Yes. I've experienced that with a work LCD that doesn't have a decent contrast ratio. I've embarassed myself by commenting on exposures while sitting at this monitor (as opposed to what I see, in comparison, on my own at home).

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

http://www.pbase.com/btullis

You'll have to ignore the gallery's collection of bad compositions, improper exposures, and amateurish post processing.

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +11 more
Malcolm L Senior Member • Posts: 1,250
A couple of suggestions

This is a very nice scene. However I would suggest:
1. Straighten the horizon.
2. Lose the guy with the umbrella on the right edge - very distracting.

3. Punch up the saturation a bit. Natural? Probably not, but for the average Joe it will make the picture more appealing.

Malcolm

Malcolm L's gear list:Malcolm L's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R
Rodneyk Regular Member • Posts: 486

Most LCD monitors have a much more limited color space than even cheap CRT monitors. They are getting much better but only the very expensive ones appear to be high enough quality to accurately do photo editing. Therefore it is entirely possible for a photo to appear clipped or blown out on an LCD monitor which is not a problem with the actual photo. Using good color calibration can help, but it is always good to remember that LCD monitors still have their limitations.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads