New XT XTi Book

Started Jun 19, 2007 | Discussions
midwestshutterbug Senior Member • Posts: 1,513
New XT XTi Book

Gary Friedman, of the Friedman Archives, has written a new book specifically for Canon XT - XTi- 350D - 400D Users\Owners.

You can find it here:
http://www.friedmanarchives.com/rebels/

At 460+ pages, Gary does a terrific job making everything completely understandable, regardless of experience or technical proficiency.

Just what Gary has already shared\published, in online forums, that is available for all to read, totally free of cost, is enough to justify purchasing a book or three.

Google - Gary Friedman
Google - Friedman Archives
and then read, read, read

See for yourself just how much this person actually knows . . . and willingly shares . . . for absolutely nothing.

When he does finally put together something, which he feels is worth charging a fee, then I, for one, would tend to think it probably is too.

For those who may not know me, I was a longtime Minolta user, (20+ yrs)who like many others grew disgusted with the direction the mount taking, and switched brands. I chose Canon due to their superb lens line up and lightning fast focusing.

However, I missed my chats with Gary and mentioned to him that he should write a book on Canon Camera's.

When I switched over to Canon, I really wanted a book that would help me make the transition. Everything was different from Minolta, The zooms even rotated in an entirely opposite direction, than what I'd used for 20 years!

I didn't really need something on the fundamentals of photography, just something that gave more info than the owners manual and in alot more interesting manner.

(Why are owners manuals always so darn Dry? As much money as they spend to make the camera, you'd think they'd attempt to make an owners manual interesting, as well as informative! -- but I digress)

I am not affiliated with this endeavor in any manner, other than I've read the book. ( Though I did help plant the seed for it's creation.)

I will receive no compensation, of any kind, for any sales.

This posting is nothing more than an effort to inform other forum users, of product, which they may very well enjoy and appreciate.

I use a 20D - been thinking of upgrading to a 5D - and am still darn glad I got a copy of the book.

It refreshed my memory, on more than a few things.

Also gave me some insight into how canon does things, and why. Even picked up a few canon eccentric tips.

-- hide signature --

Dave Patterson
---------------------
Midwestshutterbug.com
----------------------------------
'When the light and composition are strong, nobody
notices things like resolution or pincushion distortion'
Gary Friedman

007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,820
Gary Friedman switch to canon? The end is near...

I never imagine the day I would read a book on canon by Gary Friedman, the minolta stalward. Nonetheless, its here. Did he slowly switching over to canon side? Sometimes, I think the entire ex-KM clan is here.
--
FANBOY(i)sm is a NEUROSIS, Get Help!

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
OP midwestshutterbug Senior Member • Posts: 1,513
You know, never asked him

I never asked if he actually switched over simply bought a new kit for evaulation purposes.

I suspect, like many others, he will now be shooting both systems .

And like so many others who kept their minolta gear, I imagine it will see less and less use.

Don't miss my Minolts stuff at all.
I do miss the conversations though.
Minoltan forum members really tended to be a super friendly , civil bunch.

-- hide signature --

Dave Patterson
---------------------
Midwestshutterbug.com
Gary Friedman

007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,820
I agree

Don't miss my Minolts stuff at all.

I don't miss (1) paying $934 for a 10 years old 85mm f/1.4G, (2) paying nearly $700 for a used screw-drive 100mm f/2, (3) paying ridiculous ebay premium, (4) flash that induced "lazy-eyes", (5) preflash that cause seizure, and (6) AF system that is hamper by the aging screw-drive lens.

I do miss the conversations though.
Minoltan forum members really tended to be a super friendly , civil bunch.

I missed the old memebers (most of whom has left). I don't care for the new-members as they are every bit as nasty as any other forum. Old one show off photos, new one attack nikon d40 and canon rebel xti due to their own insecurity.
--
FANBOY(i)sm is a NEUROSIS, Get Help!

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
mezzo2 Regular Member • Posts: 324
Re: New XT XTi Book

Just purchased and downloaded the file to Desktop but when I try to click on the icon for this on my desktop it brings up a Macromedia Dreamweaver MX screem version 6 and then nothing further happens - I waited an hour for something to happen.

I sent an e-mail to the publisher for help and am awaiting a reply - U.K. USA time difference.

Any suggestions?

Tom
--
mezzo

Just found I can open in Adobe Reader 8.

Tom
--
mezzo

mollow2 New Member • Posts: 13

I purchased this book as I have been after a book that could explain "proper" photography terminology & techniques and let me understand my 350d.

I must say it ticks both boxes for me and I was delighted with the purchase. I should also give kudos to the customer service as my computer crashed mid-download and I had to contact Gary to send me a new link, which he did so very quickly.

So a big thumbs up from this Newbie!

Mike

drz Senior Member • Posts: 2,235
Re: You know, never asked him

midwestshutterbug wrote:

Minoltan forum members really tended to be a super friendly , civil
bunch.

A few years ago, the Canon folks were, too! Not so much now.

D.

drz's gear list:drz's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more

I would endorse everything that has been said about this book. It is brilliant, so much so that I am thinking about purchasing the printed version in addition to the downloaded pdf one I bought today.

There is so much "tuition" in the book that I would recommend anyone repeat anyone who has just entered the world of digital S.L.R.'s to buy a copy and that extends to people like myself who have been film photographers for years.

A whole new world well explained. Lessons in a book(with apologies to a similar title)

Tom
PS - oh yes, it also deals with the cameras of our forum!!

PPS - I had a slight problem in opening up the download - sorted out by Gary very quickly and friendly. You do not get this kind of service from the big boys these days.
--

mezzo

OP midwestshutterbug Senior Member • Posts: 1,513

Do you think it's due to so many of us former Minoltans switching to Canon, and by default, this Forum?
--
Dave Patterson
---------------------
Midwestshutterbug.com
Gary Friedman

drz Senior Member • Posts: 2,235

No - you should have added stability. I think the success of the Rebel has attracted all sorts of wicked people!

D.

drz's gear list:drz's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
slr_SoFL
slr_SoFL Regular Member • Posts: 272

Thanks for the info.
--
Just a weekend hack...
Rebel XTi
Tamron 17-50 - 2.8
430EX

slr_SoFL's gear list:slr_SoFL's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon 6D Mark II Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads