Event Photography Lawsuit to Watch

Started Jun 16, 2007 | Discussions
Gnome Regular Member • Posts: 431
Event Photography Lawsuit to Watch

Occasionally, someone on the forum asks about Peter Wolf, usually after he has threatened to sue them over patent violations in regard to event photography. Now it looks like Mr. Wolf has decide to quit hassling the little guys and settle the matter by going after the big guns of event photography.

Here is a link: http://www.setexasrecord.com/news/196764-recent-patentcopyright-infringement-cases-filed-in-u.s.-district-court

It is something to watch…

jimcreative Senior Member • Posts: 2,583
Exactly what is patented in this case?

Is Wolf suing for illegal use of code he developed or over the 'process' of allowing customers to purchase photos online?

If the latter is the case then someone should have patented the process of getting in a car and going to the mall. Or, maybe even putting on a pair of shoes and walking to the store...

-- hide signature --

'We spend all of our lives pushing the buttons and pulling the levers found on the front panel of reality. How can we be so certain that there is also not a rear panel... one that only God can reach, and when He does flip an unseen switch or turn a dial that is out of our reach we see it as a Miracle?' JR
http://www.jimroofcreative.com

Brian Choi Contributing Member • Posts: 969
Re: Event Photography Lawsuit to Watch

If Peter Wolf thinks he actually invented online proofing, it's rather pathetic.

Num1CamFan Forum Member • Posts: 59
Re: Here is the patent

jimcreative wrote:

Is Wolf suing for illegal use of code he developed or over the
'process' of allowing customers to purchase photos online?

Here is the patent:

http://www.photocrazy.com/Patents/US7047214.pdf

barthojw Junior Member • Posts: 33

That's just about the weakest, most undefendable patent I've seen yet. It's so generic, I can't believe that a judge would uphold the patent.

GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 12,396

I can't believe they actually granted the patent. As it is dated May 2006, I would think that there must be lots of examples of web ordering, prior to that date to invalidate the patent.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic FZ1000 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +49 more
JohnnyBlood
JohnnyBlood Senior Member • Posts: 1,623

Peter Wolf is an absolute MORON. Why on Earth did the U.S. government issue this guy a patent? Can you really get a patent on a process? If so, I'm gonig to get a patent on the process of breathing. I'll be rich!

Johnny

http://www.flickr.com/photos/latitudes/

Buzzman Senior Member • Posts: 1,514
-- hide signature --

Hmm--- Think I will get a patent on taking pictures and selling them anywhere but on a server and sue all of the photographer's everywhere!!!
Buzz

MarkLand Senior Member • Posts: 1,845
So the patent was filed in 2005

It's incredible that they issued such a patent so recently. An obviously poorly reviewed application. People like this obtain patents for the sole purpose of generating settlement money.... Leachs on the planet and a plague on true inventors.
-Mark
--
http://www.pbase.com/markland

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 18,644

I've decided to patent the process of holding a camera to your eye and saying, 'Smile!'. Note that any word or string of words in any human language that intends to cause human subjects to lift the corners of their mouth and display their teeth (whether they actually do display teeth or not) is covered by this patent. This includes such deriviative phrases as, 'Watch the birdie!' and 'Say Cheese!'

I WILL sue!
--
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.photo.net/photos/GlenBarrington

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
elwood Contributing Member • Posts: 885

Yes, you can get a patent for a process.

Yes, this only benefits the lawyers who make money on both sides on the lawsuit.

No, I don't think it is right to get a patent for software or business processes. It does nothing by stifle innovation.

Martin Caie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,824

You can't patent a process that you didn't invent? I'm guessing this is what will lead to this patent being revoked.

Also you have to contribute more than a flow chart; you have to have contributed some kind of ingenuity, don't you? Copying someone else's idea surely isn't good enough and heads should roll at the patent office.

The patent will surely be invalidated if this goes to court. In fact, it will probably be invalidated before that.

I'm guessing Exposure Manager is not being victimised because of their foreign base.

JohnnyBlood wrote:

Peter Wolf is an absolute MORON.

Careful, you'll be next LOL. Although truth is a valid defence against libel claims.

digital_ray_of_light Veteran Member • Posts: 5,068
does he think everyone else is a Caveman?

I'm sure posting pictures online as a preview was started many many many years before this silliness was filed.

Everyone who posted pictures online for review before 2005 should sue this person for stealing their ideas and using them in his patent

And a quick FYI, I am patending the use of computers and TVs for previewing RAW and JPEG pictures. All forum users please send me my royalties

Gnome wrote:

Occasionally, someone on the forum asks about Peter Wolf, usually
after he has threatened to sue them over patent violations in
regard to event photography. Now it looks like Mr. Wolf has decide
to quit hassling the little guys and settle the matter by going
after the big guns of event photography.

Here is a link:

http://www.setexasrecord.com/news/196764-recent-patentcopyright-infringement-cases-filed-in-u.s.-district-court

Martin Caie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,824
Re: does he think everyone else is a Caveman?

I've just filed an application for a new patent based on an improvement to the Wolf System:

In this system, small cards are printed containing the photographer's name, email address, WEB site and telephone numbers.

During the event, the photographer gives these cards to participants or spectators, providing a much more convenient way of recording where to find the photographs on the WEB. Previously, people had to rely on their memory, which would often lead them to forget, or needed a pen and paper with them, which provides natural resistance to recording the details physically, rather than unreliably but conveniently by memory alone.

The cards are small enough to fit in recipients' wallets or pockets, but large enough to contain all the relevant information, including a logo where applicable.

I'm also about to get a patent on a process where instead of meeting by chance, photographers register for a WEB site which contains data on their name, WEB, email address, and pages for discussion of photography topics which are able to be conducted using the mouse and keyboard. Discussions are then saved and viewed by others. Topics can be sorted by date, user or via terms in a search function.

NoTx Senior Member • Posts: 1,850

It is the appleid on date that is important, not the issue date. Although it does seem inane. Under the new patent standards, it does seem like the suit should fail.

GodSpeaks wrote:

I can't believe they actually granted the patent. As it is dated
May 2006, I would think that there must be lots of examples of web
ordering, prior to that date to invalidate the patent.

-- hide signature --

Rob aka NoTx...
-Film: Fuji GX680, Leica M6TTL, Contax G2, Contax G1
-Digital: Olympus E1 x2

Tony Rundle Regular Member • Posts: 407

What a good idea. You have to be careful not to infringe my patent covering the deposition of ink, graphite, chalk, or other marking substance, on a substrate of paper, card, slate or other material used to provide a support medium. Examples include the deposition of stokes or dots in such a way as to produce text, pictures or other graphics. Some people have suggested I should call this process "writing". Others have suggested "printing".

I'm also working on a patent to cover the use of thin sheets of paper (called "pages") bound together to form what I am thinking of calling a "book" or "pamphlet".

-- hide signature --

Tony

Tony Rundle's gear list:Tony Rundle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D
Martin Wilson Regular Member • Posts: 437

I don't believe that would ever have got to a full patent in the UK (and probably EU) because of "obviousness" and also prior art: similar capability was already in use when the patent was awarded.

Martin Wilson
Nottingham, England

ProPhotographer Regular Member • Posts: 378

What a joke.

That said, my patent is progressing nicely:

"Patent for the measurement and calibration of digital slr cameras" is coming along and once approved nobody will be able to shoot a ruler again without giving me royalties....kerchinnng $$$

PP

Jay Bean Veteran Member • Posts: 3,661
Original filing was 1999

Keep in mind that his original filing was in 1999. What may seem obvious and commonplace today doesn't matter. The question is was there any prior art in 1999 that would invalidate any or all of his claims. I'm guessing that some, maybe all, of his claims will be upheld.

Gnome wrote:

Occasionally, someone on the forum asks about Peter Wolf, usually
after he has threatened to sue them over patent violations in
regard to event photography. Now it looks like Mr. Wolf has decide
to quit hassling the little guys and settle the matter by going
after the big guns of event photography.

Here is a link:

http://www.setexasrecord.com/news/196764-recent-patentcopyright-infringement-cases-filed-in-u.s.-district-court

digital_ray_of_light Veteran Member • Posts: 5,068

Tony Rundle wrote:

What a good idea. You have to be careful not to infringe my patent
covering the deposition of ink, graphite, chalk, or other marking
substance, on a substrate of paper, card, slate or other material
used to provide a support medium. Examples include the deposition
of stokes or dots in such a way as to produce text, pictures or
other graphics. Some people have suggested I should call this
process "writing". Others have suggested "printing".

I'm also working on a patent to cover the use of thin sheets of
paper (called "pages") bound together to form what I am thinking of
calling a "book" or "pamphlet".

Please keep in mind that both of your patents are infringing on my two new patents "sky is blue" and "water is wet"

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads