D40/x size compared to D200

Started Jun 6, 2007 | Discussions
Scott Sherman Contributing Member • Posts: 880
D40/x size compared to D200

I have a D200 and many AFS lenses. I am just a hobby photographer and like to shoot occassionally when I see it as opposed to going to a specific location to shoot a specific thing. I have noticed that of late, I have not been carrying my D200 around as much because of the size weight, even with the 18-200mm. I have not been able to get out to look at a D40 since I live on an island. I have not been able to find a picture of a D40 next to a D200 to compare the actual size difference.

I am also curious if anyone else has purchased a D40/D40x for the same reason and if so, do you now carry your camera around where you were not because of the weight/size of the D200. In other words... would the outlay of about $600 be worth it, or do you find that now that you have your D40 it sits at home like the larger camera did?

thanks for the feedback and if you know of a link or can take a comaprison shot of the D200 to the D40 from a couple of angles it would be appreciated.
--
Scott Sherman
http://www.interactivephotos.com

Hubert Sasseville Regular Member • Posts: 133
Re: D40/x size compared to D200

Hi.

I recently purchased a D40X for travel purposes . It is much smaller and lighter than my D200.
I put my 18-200 VR on it and this combination is quite surprising quality wise.

The quality of pictures is very difficult to differentiate from the D200 with this lens. It also needs less post processing.
I dont think I need another lens for traveling.

I intend to add a SB400 flash to this combinaion, as it is reported to give great results, and is very compact and light.
I will keep the D200 for serious work with finer lenses.
Hope this will help you,
Hubert

gif Senior Member • Posts: 1,346
D40 vs. D200 Pic
heavensgate Regular Member • Posts: 101
Re: D40 vs. D200 Pic

gif wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ntakahara/497203964/

Wow, D200 is humongous in comparison to the D40x!

PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 14,344
Re: D40/x size compared to D200

Scott Sherman wrote:

I have a D200 and many AFS lenses. I am just a hobby photographer
and like to shoot occassionally when I see it as opposed to going
to a specific location to shoot a specific thing. I have noticed
that of late, I have not been carrying my D200 around as much
because of the size weight, even with the 18-200mm. I have not
been able to get out to look at a D40 since I live on an island. I
have not been able to find a picture of a D40 next to a D200 to
compare the actual size difference.

I am also curious if anyone else has purchased a D40/D40x for the
same reason and if so, do you now carry your camera around where
you were not because of the weight/size of the D200. In other
words... would the outlay of about $600 be worth it, or do you find
that now that you have your D40 it sits at home like the larger
camera did?

thanks for the feedback and if you know of a link or can take a
comaprison shot of the D200 to the D40 from a couple of angles it
would be appreciated.
--
Scott Sherman
http://www.interactivephotos.com

I have a mini set with D40/18-55, 55-200VR/SB400 and a regular set with D200/18-70, 70-200VR, 85 1.8.

I carry the D40 a lot more because of the small size (and it has very good IQ too). Here are some comparision shots:

D200 w 85 1.8 vs D40 w 55-200 VR

The mini set

AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 61,410
..........And A200

And compared to the Minolta A200 Bridge which is one of the smaller ones - the A2 is bigger and the Fujis bigger again

-- hide signature --

Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D3
carolo Junior Member • Posts: 43
Size of D40/X

Recently I got a D40X. So light! Have been shooting w/ Nikon 8800, and honestly this D40X w/ either 55-200VR or kit lense 18/55 PLUS SB 400 seems just as light (I have not weighed but you could look up) as the 8800. Also nice and small, even w/ SB400, which stays on my camera all the time. I have serious neck injury and thought I'd never use a DSLR much due to weight. Happily surprised. It did seem too heavy (but just for my personal situation) w/ the 18-200VR as a carry around, but that's a nice combo for many others. Have had an opportunity to "play" a bit w/ a couple of friends' D200 w/ various lenses. Can barely pick them up and hold long enough to shoot a few. D200 so large, also. Downside of the D40X is the menu system, which I have not gotten used to yet. Others seem to like it. I prefer more immediate control on body of camera. Bet you would enjoy either D40 or D40/X. (remember you'd have to manually focus some of the lenses you already own if using on D40/X) You'll get GR8 photos out of D40/X, too, esp w/ your background as D200 user.
--
carol

David Chin Forum Pro • Posts: 11,670
Carol, perhaps the D40's My Menu ...

... feature might be of some assistance, providing quick access to frequently-changed settings?

From Ken Rockwell:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/users-guide/menus-setup.htm

Quote:

"My Menu is where you can deactivate the display of any or almost all of the menu options. Every option you've altered remains in effect, but you won't see it displayed to alter."

and ...

"This My Menu is more powerful than you may realize. I turn off all the junk, and it leaves all the items I set often on one page, making it much faster and clearer to set and unset Auto ISO everytime I go into Manual exposure mode, for instance."

Some have preferred that the D40 does not have dedicated buttons for changing settings, of course this is subjective:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=23272632

Quote: "I don't miss the hard button until Nikon put them to the place where I can use them by my right hand, especially I always use heavy lens. It is really easy for me to change ISO and WB in D40 by my right hand so it is more convinent (sic) then using the hard button."

I have the D70 myself, and I agree that it's easier to change settings via the menu, provided it has been optimally configured.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads