D200 Burst Bracketing

Started Jun 2, 2007 | Discussions
Michael Firstlight Veteran Member • Posts: 3,067
D200 Burst Bracketing

I'm looking for a way to to burst bracketing by pressing the shutter ONCE and not having to keep the button pressed unti the sequence is complete.

I've set the camera into bracketing mode ON (9 in this example with .3 EV I'm looking for a way to shoot burst bracketing by pressing the shutter ONLY ONCE and not having to keep the button pressed until the sequence is complete.

I've set the camera into bracketing mode on (I set it for 9 frames in this example with .3 EV increments), assigned the function button (Func F4) to BURST BRACKETING and continuous shooting mode (I tried both fast1 and fast2).

To shoot, I press the shutter release; if I keep the shutter release button depressed the camera will shoot all 9 bracketed frames then pause - great. But I don't want to keep my finger on the shutter release - especially for long exposures to prevent or minimize camera shake.

If I press the Func button - it does nothing by itself while in bracketing mode. If I hold the Func button down AND press the shutter release, the camera shoots all bracketed frames, but only while I keep the shutter release pressed down and worse, it doesn't even pause after the bracket sequence is completed - it just goes into another round without stopping (what the heck use is that? - all I have then is to hold down two controls and get less!)

Either I am not doing something correctly or I am wondering if the camera firmware has a bug for this function.

Mike

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +12 more
mironv Veteran Member • Posts: 9,778
Re: D200 Burst Bracketing
-- hide signature --

There is no way to "lock shutter" by one press and wait till burst continue you need to hold down shutter.Maybe with remote it will be posible but I don't know.You don't do anything wrong you just wont camera to do something that was not desinge to do so.
Mironv
http://mironv.smugmug.com/

mironv's gear list:mironv's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +10 more
OP Michael Firstlight Veteran Member • Posts: 3,067

Mironv,

Thank you for confirming my suspicion; I think the remote may achieve what I want to do - shoot it without having to risk shaking the camera during the sequence, even if I have to hold down the shutter release on the remote - my finger won't be physically on the camera body eliminating any chance of user-induced shaking.

I might make a suggestion to the Nikon programmers that they really should make it so that when in continuous mode, it shoots the whole the bracketed sequence with a single press of the shutter release - this is what I as the user expected it to do (maybe they can program Continuous 2 (fast) to shoot the whole sequence by pressing once and leave C1 to do what it does today to give the end users the choice). This is classsic example of why programmers need to do usability testing with actual end users.

Mike

Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +12 more
Travis G VanDenBerg Senior Member • Posts: 1,482
Buy an Ebay Remote

It will do what you want so the camera doesn't move. I bought one off eBay from Hong Kong that was about $25, shipped to me in Calif.....works great.

Chris Schmauch Contributing Member • Posts: 521
I do it all the time...

You just use the interval timer set to zero delay...set your bracketing, put it on hi-speed shooting mode, make sure the camera is on a tripod and focus point is on a good target [so the camera won't hunt], then use the menu to start the interval...you never hit the shutter, it's all menu driven. It will do the burst of however many bracketed shots you want as quickly as the camera can possibly take them...the best feature for doing HDR, and I use it often.

If you can't figure it out I can walk you thru it in a later thread...

-- hide signature --

chris schmauch
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
art director ~ photographer
http://www.goodeyephotography.com ~ http://goodeye.smugmug.com
[hardware: 2x d200s, sb-800s, misc lenses]

Pieter Jordaan Contributing Member • Posts: 683
Mike, surely you will still....

get camera shake (hand held that is) even if you only had to press the button, then release it.

During those couple of seconds, the camera needs to be dead still. I guess a tripod and remote is therefore the answer.
--
Regards,
Pieter.

South Africa.

'Sometimes things aren't what you imagined – They are even better'

ridgely Regular Member • Posts: 125
Re: I do it all the time...

I am the ultimate newbie on the D200 - just got it out of the golden box 2 hours ago.

I am very interested in your method, and wonder if you could share your steps here?

Thanks.

Chris,

Is the interval time on the remote or a seeting in the D200? I didn't find anything called the interval timer in camera.

Mike

Re: Mike, surely you will still....

Pieter,

I shiould have mentioned that I am using a tripod, but for best results even with a tripod, I'm looking to eliminate even the risk of minor shake. Its not a crisis if there isn't a way to do it in one release of the shutter - just not ideal.

Regards,
Mike

Chris Schmauch Contributing Member • Posts: 521
no remote necessary...here's how you do it...

1. put your camera in manual or a-priorirty mode [so f-stop is a constant and shutter speed is variable]

2. Choose the bracket settings you prefer, hold the BKT button and rotate dials until you get the number of frames and exposure difference dialed in.

3. Compose your shot while the camera is on the tripod, making sure the camera can find focus [test by holding down shutter halfway, asjust focus point if necessary].

4. hit MENU, SHOOTING MENU [the camera icon], INTVL TIMER SHOOTING

5. This next step is a one-time setup, after this you won't need to chg this for this type of interval shooting...

6. On the INTVL Shooting menu, highlight NOW, then move to the right.
Make sure it reads... 00:00':01" ...then move to the right again
and make the next screen show...001 x 1 = 0001

7. Now the interval timer is set up correctly..let the lcd turn off, follow these directions for activating the timer...

8. Hit Menu, RIGHT (on INTVL TIMER), LEFT (to start now), DOWN, ENTER

That's it! After a short delay [so you can take your hands off the camera], the camera will shoot your bracked shots in hi-speed mode, which goes really quickly when there's lots of available light. I use this technique for all HDR shooting, inside or outside, dark or light. It eliminates any kind of user-movement, which IMO is even better than a remote. The high-speed shooting capability of the d200 ensures little will change in your scene during the bracketed shoot.

I wouldn't be surprised if many d200 users don't know you can do this without a remote...the interval timer isn't very intuitive, and it took me a while to figure it out. Hope this helps, have fun!!

ridgely wrote:

I am the ultimate newbie on the D200 - just got it out of the
golden box 2 hours ago.

I am very interested in your method, and wonder if you could share
your steps here?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

chris schmauch

ridgely Regular Member • Posts: 125
Re: no remote necessary...here's how you do it...

Very nicely explained. Thanks a lot!

It worked...thank you!

Chris,

Voila! It worked...thank you. That is one nice capability that I am sure few users would have figured even existed - it is exactly what I was seeking to accomplish.

Many thanks!
Mike

Jeff503 Regular Member • Posts: 107

this is a good trick, it was new to me

thanks

Chris Schmauch wrote:

You just use the interval timer set to zero delay...set your
bracketing, put it on hi-speed shooting mode, make sure the camera
is on a tripod and focus point is on a good target [so the camera
won't hunt], then use the menu to start the interval...you never
hit the shutter, it's all menu driven. It will do the burst of
however many bracketed shots you want as quickly as the camera can
possibly take them...the best feature for doing HDR, and I use it
often.

If you can't figure it out I can walk you thru it in a later thread...

-- hide signature --

chris schmauch

Michael Kaufman
Michael Kaufman Senior Member • Posts: 2,714

Michael Firstlight wrote:

If I press the Func button - it does nothing by itself while in
bracketing mode. If I hold the Func button down AND press the
shutter release, the camera shoots all bracketed frames, but only
while I keep the shutter release pressed down and worse, it doesn't
even pause after the bracket sequence is completed - it just goes
into another round without stopping (what the heck use is that? -
all I have then is to hold down two controls and get less!)

Michael,

I like Chris's interval timing method (Thanks Chris) for when I have a tripod. I use the Func plus shutter button for when I am handholding, and on my camera, if I have the mode set to single shot, it takes the pictures from the bracket and then stops. It does not keep going. Are you sure you are not in multi-shot mode when you do this?

Michael

Michael Kaufman's gear list:Michael Kaufman's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +3 more

Michael,

What is the point of holding doewn the FUNC button (assuming you've assigned FUNC to burst bracketing) while handholding and shooting bracked in single frame mode? Doesn't the camera stop after every frame anyway while in single frame mode - even when bracketing is enabled? I'm trying to understand the benefit of using the FUNC button in that situation (vs. not.)

Thanks,
Mike

Michael Kaufman
Michael Kaufman Senior Member • Posts: 2,714

Michael Firstlight wrote:

I'm trying to understand the benefit of using the FUNC
button in that situation (vs. not.)

1) Brackets are taking very quickly - this minimizes the amount of movement from the camera when the operator moves a little bit between each shot.

2) Exactly the right number of shots are taken - this minimizes operator error for when I forget how many shots I have decided to shoot.

Michael

Michael Kaufman's gear list:Michael Kaufman's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +3 more
RJSPhotography Senior Member • Posts: 1,680

thanks

RJSPhotography's gear list:RJSPhotography's gear list
Adobe Photoshop CS6
little buddha New Member • Posts: 9
Re: no remote necessary...here's how you do it...

Very informative! Thanks for sharing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads