Mac Pro or Macbook Pro

Started May 10, 2007 | Discussions
HFarm New Member • Posts: 9
Mac Pro or Macbook Pro

I'm hoping to buy my first mac in the next couple of months before I go to uni. I would like to know your opinion of whether there are significant advantages of the Xeon processors in the Mac pro's. I will be mainly using CS3 Design Premium and Lightroom for photo editing,(images from Nikon D200), along with all the standard programs.

The portablity of the laptop would be nice, but not at the expense of significant speed. I am hoping to get either a top spec 17" Macbook Pro with 3Gb of RAM, of a 2.66Ghz Mac Pro with 4Gb of RAM and the standard graphics card. I will be getting an external 20" or 23" monitor with both setups.

I was hoping you could tell me whether there is significant differences in the running speed of CS3 on these to setups.
I would be happy if you could help.

Beowulff Senior Member • Posts: 1,095
Re: Mac Pro or Macbook Pro

The Mac Pros have twice the number of cores, so they are going to run multithreaded apps much faster. You are going to pay a premium for portability (and have a machine that's much easier to steal) if you buy a Macbook.

msnikon Forum Member • Posts: 69

I have a macbook pro. I am very amerature and am gotting an slr soon. I got the macbook pro because i wanted a laptop for school work and other things. If you want sheer power deffinatly get the mac pro. If you want mortability and still have just about the same amount of function go with the mac book pro. Either way there both macs and you wont be dissapointed at all. My family has 3 macs and i dont think we have never had a serious problem with either one ever. Just get applecare protection plan for like 200 bucks more, you wont regret it. I would choose an apple over a pc any time. Whatever you get you wont regret.

csista Regular Member • Posts: 426

I had to make this decision myself a few months ago, and I went with the Mac Pro. My personal preference is power before portability.

If you decide on the Mac Pro, I would get the upgraded graphics card. My Mac Pro at work uses the stock video card, and my Mac Pro at home has the upgraded 1900 card, and I see significant improvement at home. (I also use Aperture and CS2 at work, instead of Lightroom and CS3, which I'm sure is part of the equation). Right now I am regularly using CS3 Web Premium and Lightroom, usually all at once, and I see great speed with the upgraded video card and 4 gigs of ram.
--

• Chris

http://www.chrissistaphoto.com

csista's gear list:csista's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
jhersco Regular Member • Posts: 255

The MacBook Pro and the MacBook Pro have exactly the same processor (Intel Core 2 Duo) with exactly the same number of cores (two). The Pro model processors top out at 2.33GHz vs. 2.16 GHz for the new MacBooks (by itself, not much of an advantage.) The Pro models do offer bigger screens, better video cards (two options), a backlit keyboard and an aluminum case. You also get a bigger hard drive to start with (120 vs. 80GB) and FireWire 800. The Pro model batteries don't last quite as long, though.

There is much speculation that, in June, Apple will introduce new, faster MacBook Pro models with brighter screens that substantially reduce battery drain. If you think that the benefits of the MacBook Pro are valuable for the type of projects you expect to do, and can wait a month, it may be turn out to be very worthwhile.

John Davis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,504
What video card improvements?

csista wrote:

If you decide on the Mac Pro, I would get the upgraded graphics
card. My Mac Pro at work uses the stock video card, and my Mac Pro
at home has the upgraded 1900 card, and I see significant
improvement at home.

What improvements do you see with the ATI 1900 card (over the NVIDIA GeForce 7300)? resolution? image quality? speed?

-- hide signature --

John

csista Regular Member • Posts: 426
Re: What video card improvements?

Speed. I can't honestly say that I've done any sort of tests. It just feels faster, has from the start, before I put in the extra 2 gigs of ram. Again, I think that the Aperture/Lightroom difference is a part of it.

Also, Photoshop CS3 has video card 3d acceleration as something to pick from in your preferences. I don't know if that's new or not, but I didn't notice it till CS3. And the speculation seems to also imply that the Leopard OSX is going to be more graphics heavy than Tiger when it's released in October. Another reason to recommend the video card upgrade.
--

• Chris

http://www.chrissistaphoto.com

csista's gear list:csista's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
John Davis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,504
Re: What video card improvements?

I do not see that. I do not think that the Nvidia card is speed-limited with any of the photo editing tools - PSCS3, Lightroom or Lightzone. I think that the ATI card will benefit gamers not these graphics apps.

-- hide signature --

John

OP HFarm New Member • Posts: 9
Decision...

After much thought I have decided to get the Mac Pro. I feel I will probably benefit from it's more powerful processor, as well as it's upgradablity.

I am also sightly concerned about the safety of the Macbook Pro - carring a £2000+ laptop around the streets of London may not be the best idea!Thanks for all the advice, I will take the graphics card into consideration.

Martin Ursin Regular Member • Posts: 184
Re: Decision...

You cant go wrong with either. Both are powerful machines. But you have to ask yourself if you would ever need the portability, because you are gonna sacrifice speed + upgradablity (GFX Card, more harddrives + Ram).

It seems many would like to advice you with graphic card upgrade with a Mac Pro. My advice is to hold on a bit longer with that, since the X1900XT is almost 1 year old soon enough. Save your money and wait for the next generation, since you can upgrade very easily on a Mac Pro.

Even when 1900XT came out, people where whining it was not the latest and greatest.

If you decide to go with a laptop, then you HAVE to get external harddrives via. Firewire800 or eSATA (Scratch disks), for maximum performance in CS3.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Learning the ways of photography with a D80 + 18-200 VR

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads