Best NX Tutorial?

Started Apr 28, 2007 | Discussions
LynC Regular Member • Posts: 248
Re: One more item

It seems to be ok just opening directly and saving, thanks again.

JasonOdell Senior Member • Posts: 2,282
Re: Best NX Tutorial?

No offense taken. Vincent's DVDs are very good. I think each of us has a specific target audience in mind.

-Jason

-- hide signature --

Author, 'The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX'
Visit my website at: http://www.luminescentphoto.com

Kent J
Kent J Senior Member • Posts: 2,378
Thanks, Jay. Handy utility [nt]
-- hide signature --

-Kent

Life is too short for slow glass.
http://www.pbase.com/kjoosten

Kent J's gear list:Kent J's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +15 more
vincent versace New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Thanks everyone!

I'm a little lost with your complaint about mentioning Photoshop in my book. First the book I wrote, "Welcome to Oz: A Cinematic Approach to Digital Photography with Photoshop", should be fairly self explanatory. It states what it is in the title. I think you might be confusing my DVD Unleashing the Raw Power of Capture NX. I do discuss what the differences are between the three types of editing software and I do use Photoshop as the one I discuss as an example for what a Pixel/bitmap editor is. In my world as a professional artist Photoshop is the industry standard pixel/bitmap editor it is also the one I prefer to use over other pixel/bitmap editors. I also mention it three other times (there might be a few of the cuff mentions that I don't remember off the top of my head, but I think you'll get the idea here.) In one lesson to show the difference between having to create 350mb worth of files (two files one 16bit then one 8bit) in Photoshop to create the same look in NX that produces in a single a 8.5mb. I also mention in one of the lessons where I would use a pixel/bitmap editor, again Photoshop, to remove an unwanted object and lastly a mention of a black and white technique that I developed that replicates the physics of film which requires that you use Photoshop when showing how to do Black and White in NX. I make my reputation on speaking with out hesitation about what I know and use, I have no "trade secrets" and want to share what I've learned along the way to help my fellow artists create images that reflect the vision that they hold when the originally shot it. So any discussion of what I do and what I use and how get to my vision in my work comes from that place. With that said...

Best Regards,

VV

David Junior Member • Posts: 31

I have the "Photographers Guide To NX" . to me , it is better than the "Real World Capture NX".

Dr HAPeter Harrington wrote:

Lords and Ladies...

Anyone see a constructive difference between these two? Jason
Odell's "Photographers Guide To NX" or Ben Long's "Real World
Capture NX". Ben's is a book, and Jason's is an ebook. OR...anyone
prefer some other tutorial that is a handy assistance?

Peter

-- hide signature --
RogerGabrielB Senior Member • Posts: 1,247
Another vote for Jason Odell's ebook (nt)
-- hide signature --

Roger
NYC 4 ever

southmine Forum Member • Posts: 86

I didn't know about the PDF's that jaymc suggested (thanks for that), but there is also Nikon's own video tutorials found here. http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/software/capturenx/nxsp/tutorials.htm

Re: Another vote for Jason Odell's ebook (nt)

Thanks Roger and David.

One thing I freely offer to anyone who is interested is a download of the non-printable version of my eBook Supplement. It is about 25 pages and is written in the same style as the full eBook. Should you choose to purchase the eBook, both it and the supplement are printable for personal use, and you get access to all the example NEF files I use. There are also a couple of sample pages and the table of contents for the main eBook volume that can be downloaded free from my website.

http://www.luminescentphoto.com/supplement.html

-Jason

-- hide signature --

Russ Sprouse Contributing Member • Posts: 845

I have Jason Odell's eBook, Ben Long's book, and Vincent Versace's DVD set as well as the Nikon User's Manual and How-To articles which I printed and put in a 3-ring binder. I am a glutton for learning, and I got something from all of these.

Jason's was available first, when there was very little information available on NX, and it is the most comprehensive of all of these references. I appreciate that he took the approach of not rehashing the Nikon book. Jason enlightened me to the possibility that you can do almost anything you need to do while staying in RAW format, and with non-destructive edits. I rarely need to fire up Photoshop any more.

When Ben's book was announced, I pre-ordered it and anxiously waited for its release. It is an OK read, but I was somewhat disappointed.

I also pre-ordered Vincent's DVD set, and I am glad I did. It is not only educational, but also inspirational. At first I was a little put off with a feeling that it was a glorified advertisement for the Cintiq display system, but once I got past that I found the material to be informative and interesting. I only wish there was more!

Don't overlook the How-To series on the Nikon site - this is a GREAT supplement to the documentation provided with the software.

One last thought - if you are interested in pursuing a primarily RAW workflow, take a look at the Photo Mechanic software. It makes a great front-end for NX, and it is the only non-Nikon software I have seen that plays well with NEF files and EXIF information.

-- hide signature --

Russ

One last thought - if you are interested in pursuing a primarily
RAW workflow, take a look at the Photo Mechanic software. It makes
a great front-end for NX, and it is the only non-Nikon software I
have seen that plays well with NEF files and EXIF information.

I agree 100%. Photo Mechanic is by far the best front-end browser for NX at this time.

-Jason

-- hide signature --

The Developer Senior Member • Posts: 1,615
Does photo mechanic work in vista?

JasonOdell wrote:

One last thought - if you are interested in pursuing a primarily
RAW workflow, take a look at the Photo Mechanic software. It makes
a great front-end for NX, and it is the only non-Nikon software I
have seen that plays well with NEF files and EXIF information.

I agree 100%. Photo Mechanic is by far the best front-end browser
for NX at this time.

-Jason

-- hide signature --

-thedeveloper

Rumpis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,089
Re: Does photo mechanic work in vista?

Release notes says:
Added preliminary support for Microsoft Windows Vista.

-- hide signature --

Rumpis

Re: Does photo mechanic work in vista?

I believe version 4.5 supports Vista. For optimal viewing of PSD files, Camerabits recommends installing the latest version of Quicktime. The latest version of Photo Mechanic is 4.5.1.1, released yesterday.

http://www.camerabits.com/download/index.html

-Jason

-- hide signature --

Dewdrop1 Contributing Member • Posts: 936
Apologies to Vincent

Vincent,

I was not referring to your OZ book, but the NX DVDs. However, in looking back at your site, I can't find the reference to Photoshop that I recall reading. It may have been in another writeup somewhere. It has been too long since I did my research. So I'm sorry to have cast any aspersions on your ebook.

As I mentioned in my post, I have been stung too many times by buying a book claiming to teach the basics of an application or even a camera and later find out that about half the book is useless if one doesn't have Photoshop. That really gets me upset. So even a passing mention of Photoshop regarding a book, turns me off. I felt the same way when I attended a technical seminar (I'm a retired electronics engineer) and at break time, only coffee was offered. I'm a tea drinker and dislike coffee. The assumption that everyone there was a coffee drinker really bugged me. I guess I'm a little too sensitive.

Dave W.

Re: Apologies to Vincent

One area that can be tricky is the fact that many of the tools in a variety of applications all work basically the same as in Photoshop. Levels/Curves is a great example. In NX, Levels and Curves are combined, but using the tool is not something specific to NX. In fact, there are probably numerous references to how to adjust curves in the Photoshop literature.

-Jason

-- hide signature --

Mar Det Regular Member • Posts: 102
Vote for Odells

jason,
i just picked up your cd at B&H this morning and i can say i'm enjoying it.
the manual to NX didn't do enough for me, glad i made the purchase.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads