Best NX Tutorial?

Started Apr 28, 2007 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
orchidnut Regular Member • Posts: 482
Best NX Tutorial?

Lords and Ladies...

Anyone see a constructive difference between these two? Jason Odell's "Photographers Guide To NX" or Ben Long's "Real World Capture NX". Ben's is a book, and Jason's is an ebook. OR...anyone prefer some other tutorial that is a handy assistance?

Peter

Bill Randall
Bill Randall Forum Pro • Posts: 21,245
Re: Best NX Tutorial?

I have "Nikon Capture NX" by Ben Long and it is very good.
--

FINE PRINT: I reserve the right to be wrong. Should you prove me wrong, I reserve the right to change my mind.

Bill Randall's gear list:Bill Randall's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S602 Zoom Nikon D200 Nikon D5200 Nikon D5600
jaymc
jaymc Contributing Member • Posts: 976

Bill, does the book cover ver. 1.1? After reading these mixed reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0321489993/ref=ord_cart_shr/104-6622337-1033548?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance
I'm not sure that Jason's e-book isn't a better deal.
http://www.luminescentphoto.com/capturenx.html

The e-book has been updated with a free supliment for ver. 1.1 and has pics to download to go with the tutorials.

• Jay

-- hide signature --

jaymc's gear list:jaymc's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Apple iPhone 5s Apple iPhone 6 Plus
Walt Nelson Junior Member • Posts: 25

FWIW I just purchased Vincent Versace's "Capture NX - Uleashing the Raw Power of Capture NX". Its a three DVD set that takes the viewer through all in in's and out's of Capture NX.

Just finished the first DVD and I have got to say its Excellent! He has done an great job of explaining the complexities of the software. I have CS3 as well, but NX seems to do, as others have said many times, a better job of rendering pics from the D200 et. all.

My 2 cents...

Walt

orchidnut OP Regular Member • Posts: 482

Got a link for the Versace set?

heyadle Contributing Member • Posts: 542

ben long' s book is barely better than the manual.

Jason's is not great, but it is a very fast way to decent results and is well worth the money for that alone.

It is more of a workflow in nx than an in depth understanding of the software. But a good steps to success book.

I also have the Versace DVD set on order. Versace is a big league photoshopper so I am hoping for for depth in NX.

Good luck, but definately get Jason's e-book for a quick start and basic understanding of an NX approach.

dale
--
“I don’t know what young means, you’re alive or not” HCB

http://www.flickr.com/photos/heydale

Walt Nelson Junior Member • Posts: 25

Here is the link...
http://www.versacephotography.com/v2/

-- hide signature --

Tell me, I may forget,
Show me, I may remember,
But involve me, and I'll understand...

jaymc

Use this for Jason's book:

The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX™

Receive $5 off this ebook (regular price is $24.99) with this discount coupon: VV07Q2

Enter this code during checkout - it is valid through June 30th, 2007.

Dewdrop1 Contributing Member • Posts: 936
Thanks everyone!

Some very good advice in the replies.

Something about the Versace book that turns me off on it is the references to Photoshop. I don't own Photoshop and have no interest in getting it. So whenever I buy a book and even a portion of it references Photoshop, my hackles go up. If an author assumes that you use Photoshop, that should be clearly stated on the cover (or CD jacket) of the book. What I'm looking for is a "stand alone" book that deals exclusively with the subject, Capture NX, in this case.

Sorry for the rant, but I've been stung a few times when buying books on digital photography. I've been caught by such phrases as, "Learn how to edit your images like a pro." When I get the book, the chapter(s) on editing are only useful if you have Photoshop or, at the very least, Photoshop elements. I happen to use Picture Window and love it. It can achieve most, if not all of what PE can, but in different ways, which means the editing instructions are very difficult, if not impossible, to translate to PW.

My interest in Capture NX has to do mostly with manipulating RAW images and the power of the control points. I have imported NEF files into Picture Window, but PW doesn't read enough of the metadata to get a good initial image. I have to do a lot of correction of brightness, contrast, and white balance to get to a good starting point. NX does a much better job of this and that seems to be the opinion of others who use NX and also use Photoshop.

Finally, while I'm sure I can become proficient with NX on my own, I should be able to greatly shorten the learning curve with a good book.

Thanks again for the help.

Dave W.

Oops!

I meant to post this at the bottom of another thread that I started. I forgot that I was in this one. So, if my post sounds strange, you'll understand why. My original post is in the D80 forum.

Dave W.

Bill Randall
Bill Randall Forum Pro • Posts: 21,245
Yes: Version 1.1..... (n/t)
-- hide signature --

FINE PRINT: I reserve the right to be wrong. Should you prove me wrong, I reserve the right to change my mind.

Bill Randall's gear list:Bill Randall's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S602 Zoom Nikon D200 Nikon D5200 Nikon D5600
Janet Zinn Veteran Member • Posts: 4,373
I hear ya dave ;-)

I also use Picture Window Pro and it is maddening how everyone assumes that all serious photo editing is done with Photoshop. Its like "Photoshop" has become a verb, like "Xerox." Sigh.

Like you, I've found that PWP's NEF conversion just isn't worth the extra work...I prefer to keep my conversion steps in Nikon software. I am still on Capture 4.x though, and at the moment see no reason to upgrade to NX, as I'm happy with my workflow as it is. However, I'm toying with the idea of getting NX just to see....

Anyway, glad to see someone else using PWP.

-- hide signature --

Janet
D 2 0 0
D 1 0 0
F 1 0 0
http://www.jczinn.com

Janet Zinn's gear list:Janet Zinn's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon D500
The Developer Senior Member • Posts: 1,615
Another vote for Jason's book n. t.
-- hide signature --

-thedeveloper

JasonOdell Senior Member • Posts: 2,282
Re: Another vote for Jason's book n. t.

Thanks.

I think that Ben's book and mine have very different approaches to NX-- some of my customers point out that for a beginner, the two books are complementary. I tried to take a functional/practical approach (how and when to use a tool), while Ben tries to go into detail describing each tool. I made a decision when sitting down to write the "Guide" that I would not try to rehash the Nikon Manual. In fact, I firmly believe that the Nikon manual is a very valuable reference. What the Nikon manual does not do, however, is tell you WHY you might choose to use a tool like the LCH editor, or practical applications of control points.

With regard to Photoshop, most of NX's tools work in fundamentally the same way-- if you know levels/curves from a PS book, you can use the Levels/Curves in NX. Still, Photoshop and its kin have a few functions that NX does not.

I think of NX as my photo lab, while Photoshop is my post-production bench. If I need to clone, add text, make web banners, then Photoshop is indispensable. I just rarely use Photoshop to "process" my NEFs-- NX does everything I need, does it quickly, and lets me save my NEFs as NEFs without having to convert to TIFF.

-Jason

-- hide signature --

Author, 'The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX'
Visit my website at: http://www.luminescentphoto.com

jaymc

Another alternative that happens to be free is Nikons "Nikon Capture NX "How To ..." Series." Available here:

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=14234&p_created=1175285705&p_sid=CKN53kAi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=238&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9MzoyJnBfcm93X2NudD0xMDk1JnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

I've download them all and converted to .pdf for storage. If you don't have Adobe Acrobat then you can create .pdf files with this free utility:

http://www.cutepdf.com/

• Jay

heyadle Contributing Member • Posts: 542

Versace update.

Yes it is twice the price of the other two, or the same price as the complimentary pair. But it is better than both combined.

Sorry Jason, but you gave me the link.

I am very pleased with the Versace guide and his only reference to CS is really the healing brush and I have that in my $39.95 version of elements5 from staples.

I strongly recommend the Versace DVD it also is inspring with the images and his creative use of tools to enhance images to the point of his individual vision of the original scene.

dale

-- hide signature --

“I don’t know what young means, you’re alive or not” HCB

http://www.flickr.com/photos/heydale

LynC Regular Member • Posts: 248

How do you download them? All I seem to be able to do is save the web page.

You have to open the web page in Adobe Acrobat or similar application. When you click on save, the web pages will be saved as a PDF file. You cannot do it from within your browser.

Dave W.

LynC Regular Member • Posts: 248

Thanks.

One more item

If you open the web page directly, you may get only one page rather than the whole article. To correct this, select Print article in the left panel, then either print to Cute PDF or to Acrobat Distiller. You can also copy the Print URL and open it in Acrobat.

I hope this helps you around any more problems.

Dave W.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads