CHDK firmware hack discussion (5)

Started Apr 23, 2007 | Discussions
harvester Contributing Member • Posts: 693
CHDK firmware hack discussion (5)

This is a sequel to the old threads discussing the CHDK firmware.

The CHDK fw is a hacked firmware for DIGIC II cameras. Currently supported cams are A610, A620, A630, A640, A710IS, S3IS and maybe more (see the FAQ for a complete list).

The CHDK fw implements new features like RAW, battery indicator, live histogram (RGB/luminance), zebra mode (blinking areas of over- underexposure), DOF calculator, scripts (intervalometer, exposure/focus ... bracketing etc.), text reader, file browser, calendar, games and much more. New features get implemented frequently, so check the timeline for the latest changes, or the FAQ for a complete list.

The CHDK firmware does not touch the original firmware of your camera. It is an additional program which gets loaded into the memory of the cam. If you have a problem, just turn your cam off or remove the batteries, and the CHDK fw is gone.

For further information, a guide, download links and FAQ see the english WIKI:
http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

Timeline:
http://tools.assembla.com/chdk/timeline

Dear Vitalyb, GrAnd and all the others: Thank you so much for creating this wonderful piece of software!
Some screenshots:

Main menu

Histogram (Blended) and Zebra overexposure indicator

Script menu

The old discussion threads:
1. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1010&thread=21263144
2. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1010&thread=21995907
3. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1010&thread=22706343
4. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1010&thread=22915656

OP harvester Contributing Member • Posts: 693
zebra mode for noise test

FYI: Here is an interesting post which mentions that you might use the Zebra mode of the CHDK fw to test your CCD for hot pixels:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3083371#post3083371

I think it might not work so well in Rec mode because of the gain up of the Display in dark situations, but it might work well in Playback mode.

Marinjo Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: CHDK firmware hack discussion (5)

harvester wrote:
Currently

supported cams are A610, A620, A630, A640, A710IS, S3IS and maybe
more (see the FAQ for a complete list).

Is the CHDK firmware developed futher in sync for all the listed cams, or is this this done step by step for every camera? I've got the A710 and the function toggle shortcuts don't function for me. I don't see the "Zebra menu" as well- only "Zebra" on/off. But may be I'm outdated- my A710 CHDK firmware is from April 18th?
--
Marinjo

roblarosa
roblarosa Senior Member • Posts: 2,119

I just ordered an A710, can you tell me if the other hacks seem to work OK for you?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vegasrob/sets/

roblarosa's gear list:roblarosa's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2

roblarosa wrote:

I just ordered an A710, can you tell me if the other hacks seem to
work OK for you?

I just have not tried evrything. Here's what I have tried:
1. Histogram- works including options
2. Battery meter- works
3. Zebra- does not work, blocks the original OSD
4. Toggle shortcuts for Histogram, Zebra, CHDK OSD- does not work.

But all in all, the CHDK loads (manually) with no problems, the Alt Menu works, all functions at least can be accessed via Alt Menu. Exept for I don't see the Zebra menu at all. But I must try the newest build from April 23'd. Now I have loaded build from April 18th. May be it's not up to date- not all bugs fixed.
But of coarse I feel gratefull to all who are doing this job!!!
--
Marinjo

Marinjo wrote:

Is the CHDK firmware developed futher in sync for all the listed
cams, or is this this done step by step for every camera? I've got
the A710 and the function toggle shortcuts don't function for me. I
don't see the "Zebra menu" as well- only "Zebra" on/off. But may be
I'm outdated- my A710 CHDK firmware is from April 18th?

Yes, your fw is outdated. The shortcuts and Zebra menu were added on April 21st.
Check the timeline for information about the latest changes:
http://tools.assembla.com/chdk/timeline

FW development seems to be in sync. There are some button-related differences between A-series cams and the S3 IS, but that's about it, I think.

Frank43 Senior Member • Posts: 1,912
Erase All for RAW files

With the default CRW extension, the RAW files are not erased with the camera Erase All command. The only way to erase them all is with the camera connection after removing the write protection - a bit cumbersome.

I have found that if I select to use the JPG extension for the RAW files, then the camera ERASE ALL commands will also erase the RAW files. Very handy.

It seems that the genial designers have thought of everything.

My next challenge is to find a convenient way to erase pairs of RAW and JPG files selectively. In an outing, I take lots of pictures and when I get a chance to rest, I look at them and I erase the obvious misses. It saves space on the card and it saves downloading and processing time later.

Once I have selected a JPG file to erase, I would like to erase the corresponding RAW. I have to rely on the numbering.

It would be handy if the files could be listed in the browser in order of date/time, as an option. This way I could see which RAW file does not have a corresponding JPG and erase it.

I thought of using IMG as a prefix, but then I could not use JPG as an extension. And if I do not use JPG as an extension the files are not erased with the Erase All.

In summary two suggestions :

1- Implement an Erase ALL that erases all RAW whatever their extension.
2- Add an option in the file browser to sort according to date/time.

Even better, would be that, if a user erases a JPG file, to erase the RAW file automatically - as an option of course.

This patch is so good, that it stimulates all sort of new ideas. I hope the designer does not mind.

Frank

indusbreed Senior Member • Posts: 1,145
S3 Uploader

I tried it with my A610, but I think it would be usable for the S3, too.
Some observations:

• It does not work with write protected cards, so you have to remove your card and unlock it before.

• Put your firmware files into the same directory as the uploader.

• There is a textfile named "FirmInfo.txt". This text file contains this text: "[Firmware File Name]". Just change the name below it into the filename you want to upload. Then save the text file and start the UploadFirmware.exe. You have to do this two times: 1x for "PS.FIR" and 1x for "DISKBOOT.BIN".

-> It worked for me and my A610, and I think it will work for other cams, too. But I find it more convenient to use a card reader. It is advisable to use a cheap one, because it hopefully will not have a sensor for the write proctection switch of the card, meaning you will also be able to write and delete protected cards with it, which is nice if you use the autostart feature of the CHDK firmware.
-------

Thank you Harvester for taking time and explaining the steps in detail. I tried to upload the files and changing and renaming the files. I even edited the camera name but somehow it did not go through. Error says something like incompatible hardware....???

Anyway i went to Tigerdirect and bought a cheapest Card reader. I am going to try tonite.

Does the capacity of the Card matters? I will be using the 16 MB SD card which came with the cam to check how the upgrade firmware goes.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

SB

ursamajorRO
ursamajorRO Regular Member • Posts: 365
Re: zebra mode for noise test

harvester wrote:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3083371#post3083371

I think it might not work so well in Rec mode because of the gain
up of the Display in dark situations, but it might work well in
Playback mode.

Yes, I confirm, doesn't work good in Rec mode. I cannot see a full solid color even when I select SOLID at the Zebra's parameters. But in Play mode it works only when I have no images or a dark image.

ursamajorRO's gear list:ursamajorRO's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX510 HS Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +3 more

harvester wrote:

Yes, your fw is outdated. The shortcuts and Zebra menu were added
on April 21st.
FW development seems to be in sync. There are some button-related
differences between A-series cams and the S3 IS, but that's about
it, I think.

Thanks! I loaded the newest FW and everything works perfect.
--
Marinjo
A 710IS

Siderik Regular Member • Posts: 114
Does the hack work on a 8gb SDHC cards?

I own a SDHC 8gb card and I was wondering if it works as well on this kind of cards...

Thank you in advance

John

SteMa Senior Member • Posts: 1,100
Anything about further camera support? (ixus800 aka sd700?)

Anything about further camera support? I have the ixus800 (sd700 in US) and I only bought a PnS because I wanted to have a pocket camera, not becuase I don't need pro settings. It's a digic2 camera, so it's possible afaik. Is there a chance to have a hack for it too before the summer? (that's when I take my cam more often with me). With the image stablization, good sensor (170mV) it would be awesome to shoot in raw sometimes

Best regards, SteMa

Re: Does the hack work on a 8gb SDHC cards?

Siderik wrote:

I own a SDHC 8gb card and I was wondering if it works as well on
this kind of cards...

Yes, but autostart will not work. You will either have to use a card of 2GB or smaller for that (=FAT16 formatted), or you will have to start the hack manually every time you need it.

Vinny Regular Member • Posts: 248

I am wondering if CHDK is going to support S80 in the future? S80 is also a DIGIC II type camera.

Vinny's gear list:Vinny's gear list
Canon EOS 80D
Moataz Regular Member • Posts: 197

I was told that raw is unusable for its high noise and canon use high noise reduction to produce jpegs, so may someone post a raw image taken by the S3 and this hack?

Jenkins Forum Member • Posts: 88
Scripted Audio Recordings?

I just got to wondering, since the Audio Record mode is only available from the Playback mode of the camera, is there any way to trigger an audio recording from a script? I know the audio could be ripped out of a lower resolution video (to save SD space), but it would be nice if audio-only could be done. Can it?

We don't want much, do we. Next I'll be wanting my S3 IS to be a GPS and cell-phone. That'll be in CHDK v2, right?

remix New Member • Posts: 7

Moataz wrote:

I was told that raw is unusable for its high noise and canon use
high noise reduction to produce jpegs, so may someone post a raw
image taken by the S3 and this hack?

Hello,

You could drop this into your favourite browser http://digicanon.narod.ru/compare.htm

RAW images are images that have not been processed by the camera's internal processor and algorithms. Therefore they may be noisier than jpegs but are a gem to digital processing of photos because they contain so much more photographic information within. One could extract a great deal more detail out of a RAW provided they have access to the right software and techniques.

RAW images for regular amateur users are quite useless since most don't bother to process their files manually and rely on the camera to do it for them. Enthusiasts and pro's would rather apply their own processing... that's about it.

CHDK is so much more than just a RAW enabler, I use most other features except RAW since I am one of those amateurs satisfied with the incamera processing.

Cheers !

avogadro New Member • Posts: 3
CHDK in an underwater housing

What difficulties in usage might occur using CHDK on an A710 in an underwater housing? I ask because the "print" button isn't accessible while the camera is in the housing and I'm not sure how this would limit functionality or if there is a workaround.

Re: CHDK in an underwater housing

Without [print], you can't use mode. This means you can't use the CHDK main menu, can't start a script (except you use the cam in alt mode only) and can't quick toggle between RAW on/off.r

You can still use histogram and zebra mode underwater, and RAW if you enable it before putting the cam into the case.

Re: CHDK in an underwater housing

darn, the forum ate parts of my post:

harvester wrote:

Without [print], you can't use mode.

"alt"

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads