14mm Rocks

One from last week.

14mm DA
K10D triggered by remote
1 second at F16
3 stop Lee ND grad

EricAW Regular Member • Posts: 470
Re: 14mm Rocks

Very nice image! Do you use the 3 stop grad a lot? I have been considering getting one or two but not sure which (as in how many stops) to get.

OP amcinroy Regular Member • Posts: 294

EricAW wrote:

Very nice image! Do you use the 3 stop grad a lot? I have been
considering getting one or two but not sure which (as in how many
stops) to get.

Yes, I couldn't do without them.

I have the 1,2,3 stop Lee hard grads. But I use the 2 and 3 the most rarely the 1. Although the sometimes the one is handy to add to the 3.

Thanks for commenting.
Andy

PhotoCrawl Regular Member • Posts: 271

It surely rocks. Nice capture.

One question: do you use a Cokin P wide holder with it? Does it have to be of the wide variety for this lens?

The lee filter system is a 100mm system. I think this is equivalent size to the Cokin Z-Pro series.

You'll get no vignetting even with stacked filters on the 14mm with this setup, even if you use the standard adapter ring rather than the wide angle ring.

Andy

Jonson PL Veteran Member • Posts: 3,600

Hi Andy,
Your appreciation of the nature comes through in your photography.
You also seem to have favourite places that you return to.

amcinroy wrote:

Yes, I couldn't do without them.

I have the 1,2,3 stop Lee hard grads. But I use the 2 and 3 the
most rarely the 1. Although the sometimes the one is handy to add
to the 3.

With all you guys’ fancy talk, just so the rest of us can follow; you’re talking about Neutral Density graduation filters, right :-?

As always, great images.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Sune

• A talented photographer doesn’t miss the shots, he improves his technique

Thanks Sune.

Yes, this is my favorite place to photograph. It is a small granite cove in Donegal, Ireland. It's 50m long but you could spend a lifetime photographing there.

As Constable said "we paint out own places best"

Yes I am referring to neutral density graduates.

I would sometimes stack a ND graduate with a straight 3 stop ND filter to lengthen exposures. With moving water I prefer to keep the exposure under 2 seconds though. I'm not a great fan of the cotton wool water although I have plenty in my portfolio.

Andy

Lance B
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 33,358

Beautiful image, Andy!

The DA14 is a really lovely lens and one of my most used. I also use the ND grads and wouldn't be without them.
--
Lance B

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b
GMT +10hours

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +21 more
Lance B
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 33,358

PhotoCrawl wrote:

It surely rocks. Nice capture.

One question: do you use a Cokin P wide holder with it? Does it
have to be of the wide variety for this lens?

I use the Cokin filter system and the P series wide angle filter holder works fine with no vignetting on the DA14.

-- hide signature --

Lance B

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b
GMT +10hours

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +21 more
mskad Veteran Member • Posts: 3,329
Again!?!

Just replied to your DA21mm post. Another great images! Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --
Duplo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,660

Extremely well done... I absolutely adore it.
--
Thomas

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
http://www.duplophotography.com/
http://www.my.opera.com/duplo
My pictures categorised by lens used:
http://main.duplophotography.com/f311992052/

Daddy Dan Contributing Member • Posts: 666

stunning

DD

Daddy Dan's gear list:Daddy Dan's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K100D Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL +6 more
Scott Rylance Senior Member • Posts: 2,571

Excellent shot....I was thinking about getting this lens...and now your shot has pretty much convinced me. Well done.
Cheers.
--
Scott

Never judge a photo by the person who has taken it.
Never judge a person by the photo they have taken.

hamidlmt Senior Member • Posts: 2,269

Beauty of a shot! I love the 14mm... great lens. You've just convinced me that I need to invest in ND filters!

-- hide signature --
Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,509

Lovely work, Andy! You're making me wish I was a landscape photographer...

G

dkandz Regular Member • Posts: 138

I hope you have not taken offence as to everyone just commenting on the grads and the lenses used for this - the work is truly stunning. We are all just seeking to emulate your success as envious photographers!

I noted in another (dead) thread to thank you for sharing your beautiful country. Your website is great and informative, I especially like the commentary around the reason for the portfolios, thinking behind the shots, and your own profile and gear.

Given the talk of ND grads, I was wondering how you find the large Lee grads with your 16-45 DA. I am contemplating upgrading from the Cokin system and was interested in your opinion as to whether the size (not quality) of the Lee system is overkill for lenses of this size? 14mm too?

I guess if you can have the DA14 and not have to buy the (expensive) wide angle adaptor and threads as well then it is a bonus.

Thanks for sharing

Lee Filters

No problem, this is a technical forum after all and I enjoy the technical as well as the asthetic.

The 100mm Lee system works well on the 16-45mm. I do find this lens tends to "wobble" a bit when extended out at 16mm and I feel care is needed when inserting the filters that I don't exert to much pressure on this lens barrel. The looseness of the 16-45mm doesn't inspire confidence but I can't say that the optical performance has ever let me down. The 14mm on the other hand is rock solid.

I don't think the Lee system is overkill for 35mm or APS at all. I did originally buy it thinking I might move up to medium or large format. But after my move to digital I've found it gives everything I need. Great image quality, flexibility and speed. There is just no way I could have put together my webpage Portfolio 3 (Ocean Flow) on 5x4 or even medium format!! To do this sort of work I needed remote control release, exposure review and around 40-50 exposures to get the one in which the flows were perfect.

The only thing I would say is if you are buying the grads, make sure to buy the hard ones. The softer versions are very hard to align on APS.

Andy

EricAW Regular Member • Posts: 470
Re: Lee Filters

The only thing I would say is if you are buying the grads, make sure to buy the hard ones. The softer versions are very hard to align on APS.

Thanks Andy. I was wondering about that. Also, to clarify, you have a larger Lee system than the Cokin P size, correct? I already have a number of Cokin P size filters, adapters etc. and would like to stick with that size. Do you know if that size would work with the lenses you have without vignetting etc.?

Thanks for your patience. Your photos are very beautiful and I am glad to learn all I can from people who's work I admire.

Eric.

Re: Lee Filters

The Lee is a 100mm system which is equivalent to the Cokin Z-Pro system I think.

But it seems that people here have been using Cokin P on these lenses (14mm, 16-45, 21mm) with no problem.

The Cokin grads used to get a lot of criticism for colour casts (particularly magenta), but I believe they have addressed this.

Andy

dlast1 Regular Member • Posts: 410

what a beautiful capture... very nice

-- hide signature --

..:: daniel ::..
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
http://pbase.com/dlast1

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads