Baby on the Way! Which P&S ?

Started Apr 6, 2007 | Discussions
Bug_Man New Member • Posts: 16
Baby on the Way! Which P&S ?

Hello!

Wife and I are expecting our first baby within the month...

So I'm here hoping some of you friendly folks could offer some recommendations for a P&S in the $100-$200 range, even if a couple years old. ( used or new )

I don't want to spend $800 for the XTI or anything, just a nice P&S for lots and lots and lots of baby pics. Something that hopefully many of you have and have printed anything from 4x6 to 8x10.

I greatly appreciate your help! As I'm suffering from paralysis from analysis.

-- hide signature --

'If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago. If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into chaos.' - Edward O. Wilson

GlennR Regular Member • Posts: 171
A630

Ok, I really like the A6x0 series.

Someone bought this for $199. You would need batteries (I think Energizer e2 Lithium AA should get you a couple of thousand shots for $10-12 and you won't have to worry about recharging) and a 1 or 2 GB SD card should cost about $20-40. Altogether, you would invest $250, a little more than you asked about.

For this you get a fast responding, 8 MP camera with a good amount of flexibility.

The A5x0 series might get you in at about $200 total, but because of using 2 AA batteries instead of 4 the flash recycle times are slower which will become important once the baby starts getting around quicker.

W.H.Wolberg Regular Member • Posts: 460
Re: Baby on the Way! Which P&S ?

Fujifilm F20, F30 or F31. Best low-light P&S available.

harvester Contributing Member • Posts: 693

Take a cam with a good video mode, because videos will be so much fun later.

I like my A610, but the video sound is not that great (background noise in quiet parts). Videos are also quite large, but you can shrink/process them afterwards and put them on a DVD.

Here's an example for the sound quality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySAsn7jlV6Q
(video was shot at half resolution (320x240))

Maxwell Smart Senior Member • Posts: 2,947

W.H.Wolberg wrote:

Fujifilm F20, F30 or F31. Best low-light P&S available.

Sounds like good advice.

"Canon SD900 vs Fuji F40fd"
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=22605448

-- hide signature --

Group Captain Lionel Mandrake: 'I was tortured by the Japanese, Jack, if you must know; not a pretty story....Strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras.' (Dr. Strangelove, 1964)

hooked1 New Member • Posts: 20

My wife and I did fine on various point and shoot cameras (and we travel a lot) until we had our first child two years ago. By the time he was one, we were so sick and tired of missing many of the fleeting expressions he made that we got an dSLR. We are both very happy with that decision. If you don't have a dSLR yet, you will likely be sorry you didn't get to capture all those once in a lifetime childeren shots.

Budget of $100-$200

hooked1 wrote:

If you don't have a dSLR yet, you will likely be sorry you didn't get to
capture all those once in a lifetime childeren shots.

I have a DSLR plus a P&S and a video camera (actually two P&S's and two video cameras) but if I could have only ONE family camera (God forbid!) the decision would be obvious - the P&S. Cost, size, convenience and video-capability make the P&S the most often used camera in my household. I love my DSLR but my wife never bothers with it and the obvious lack of any video mode isn't made up for by the higher-quality still photos if it's to be an only camera for the family. As well, these forums are full of posts from people who abandoned their DSLR gear because they couldn't be bothered to carry it around.

Anyway, the OP indicated a budget of $100-$200 making any advice beyond a P&S rather pointless, no?

-- hide signature --

Group Captain Lionel Mandrake: 'I was tortured by the Japanese, Jack, if you must know; not a pretty story....Strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras.' (Dr. Strangelove, 1964)

hooked1 is busted

hooked1 wrote:

No ill-will intended, Noah, but just ten days ago you also wrote:

hooked1 wrote:

I have a nice dSLR but our family really did use the S410 a heck of
a lot. THe size was perfect for dropping in your pocket, etc. In
fact, on long hikes/bike trips I usually opted for the S410 over
the dSLR because of the weight. We could depend on it to take
really nice shots right off the camera that didn't require much, if
any, post processing/fiddling. I just need a P&S we can pick up and
use inddors and out, without having to dial in too many specific
settings for different conditions. It also needs to be small.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=22640791

I'm certain you meant no harm by contradicting yourself but only a minority of families buying cameras are getting DSLR's and for good reasons you yourself expressed so well.

igilligan Senior Member • Posts: 1,044

Congrats on the baby...

Get the Fuji F20... on sale right now at Dell for 139 bucks... It is a great little low light shooter. You can keep the flash off and get the baby photos. Also when they start smiling and laughing you can slide the switch on top and get some quick videos too. Just in case you dont have the video out right at that moment.

I know this is the canon forum but honestly you can not go wrong with this camera for this price.

My girls are two and four and it was the best money I spent last year.

I wish I had it when they were babies. Looking back almost all our indoor pics are with flash and....

If you want to see some pics I will post em up for you. But I know this is the right choice in your price range and with a new baby.
gus

-- hide signature --

Get what makes you happy
Anything less... makes you less happy

ChiSoxFan Senior Member • Posts: 1,429

Completely agree on the F20 recommendation. For the under 150 price it can't be beat. You'll be able to take pics of the new baby without flash that will look great and won't break the bank. It's a great little camera at an incredible price right now. Plus there's a setting called Natural Light+Flash that takes 2 pictures when you press the shutter. First with no flash and higher ISO with natural light and the second using the flash. You can choose the one you like later. Very useful in many conditions.

Re: hooked1 is busted

Hey, wait a second before you chastise me in public. If you read what I said, I said we travel a lot, and we got by on a point and shoot for a very long time. Indeed, that is because of the size, weight, and simplicity. We hike routinely to high altitude and lugging along a big SLR is often too much of a sacrifice. However, I also said that when our son was born, we were missing a lot of his facial expressions, etc, with the P&S and it was my wife who pulled the trigger on getting an SLR. For us, it was and continues to be a very wise decision. I'm hardly busted, Mr. Smart, I was just sharing my experience and decision making process. Lastly, I really dont appreciate your condecending tone. Comments such as yours that attack individuals for sharing their experience ("Hooked1 is busted") smother the free exchange that this forum depends on.

Maxwell Smart wrote:

hooked1 wrote:

No ill-will intended, Noah, but just ten days ago you also wrote:

hooked1 wrote:

I have a nice dSLR but our family really did use the S410 a heck of
a lot. THe size was perfect for dropping in your pocket, etc. In
fact, on long hikes/bike trips I usually opted for the S410 over
the dSLR because of the weight. We could depend on it to take
really nice shots right off the camera that didn't require much, if
any, post processing/fiddling. I just need a P&S we can pick up and
use inddors and out, without having to dial in too many specific
settings for different conditions. It also needs to be small.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=22640791

I'm certain you meant no harm by contradicting yourself but only a
minority of families buying cameras are getting DSLR's and for good
reasons you yourself expressed so well.

Sorry, hooked1

Sorry, Noah. Again, no ill-will intended. I was just pointing out the apparent contradiction in your posts. A family man with a budget of $200 asks for advice buying a P&S camera and a guy who recently posted about how much he misses his P&S recommends a DSLR instead. This observation was not meant as any personal attack - just a friendly part of the discussion.

My apologies for the offense taken.

• Max

Re: Sorry, hooked1

You're welcome.

friedduck Contributing Member • Posts: 725
Another vote for the Fuji

Firstly, I have both a 20d and an S2 IS, so I'm not a Canon-basher but when it came time to buy a P&S to throw in my bag and have for spur-of-the-moment shots the Fuji F30 got the nod.

It's not the best for bright, contrasty outdoor shots (think: soccer field) but indoors and candids it rules. When I first got it I made a game of trying to see how far I could push my luck and it's just an amazing little camera.

This is particularly useful for natural light photos, which I'm assuming you'll take lots of.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

friedduck's gear list:friedduck's gear list
Sony RX100
dlhuss Regular Member • Posts: 203
Ditto

For $139 plus a possible $30 rebate (search slickdeals.net) make the F20 THE deal.

Was my thought even before I got down this far in the thread.

Emphyrio Regular Member • Posts: 155

The only three digicams I've owned are canons, but lthe fuji F30 looks great for high iso shots which would make the most of the available light indoors.

For outdoor use, you couldn't go wrong with a G3/5/6 or "S" series camera. My S60 produces good 8by12 inch prints with 5 megapixels, and straight out of the camera results are excellent needing little post processing.

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 676

Well I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet, but a MAJOR consideration should be "red-eye". Babies are notorious for being prone to coming out with red-eye with flash. Since most of your infant images will proably be indoors this is an issue. The problem is most simple point and shoot cameras aren't very good at red eye avoidance and many are really bad at it. Some post processing software can help in some cases in removing it, but some of those programs merely swap the red for a darker less intrussive color and you still don't get a natural eye look. I'm not a Fuji fan but I think some of the Fuji recommendation may be a good choice in that regard.

ndroo Regular Member • Posts: 216

Although this is the Canon forum, I would say go get a Fuji F20/30 if you are planning to shoot using available light. I took some photos using high ISO with a Ricoh GRD on the day my baby was born ... the noise is horrible and I wished I had a Fuji with me then. Apart from that, I am using a couple of other cameras including a G7 for my baby shots now. Ain't easy with them always moving but with proper lighting ... it is possible. My baby's photos are now at http://www.fitzand.com

ndroo Regular Member • Posts: 216

Master Yoda wrote:

Well I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet, but a MAJOR
consideration should be "red-eye". Babies are notorious for being
prone to coming out with red-eye with flash. Since most of your
infant images will proably be indoors this is an issue. The
problem is most simple point and shoot cameras aren't very good at
red eye avoidance and many are really bad at it. Some post
processing software can help in some cases in removing it, but some
of those programs merely swap the red for a darker less intrussive
color and you still don't get a natural eye look. I'm not a Fuji
fan but I think some of the Fuji recommendation may be a good
choice in that regard.

Agree about this but I always avoid firing direct flash when taking baby photos (thus those cams which performs well at high ISO are good replacements). When I need to use flash, usually I'll use bounce flash.

Ron Major Regular Member • Posts: 133

I'm planning to pick up a Fuji F20 for it's low light capabilities. I currently use a Canon S400 and S30 and while they both take great outdoor shots, I've often been disappointed with indoor shots. By the way, here's the link to the Fuji rebate. $30 rebate on the F20 takes it down to $109 at Dell. Now that's what I call a bargain. http://www.cheapstingybargains.com/Life_s_a_Blur.pdf

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads