Tripod Help V2

Started Apr 2, 2007 | Discussions
OP ClaudioG Regular Member • Posts: 110
Neil quick question

With this new tripod it became apparent that as I mount the camera with the 70-200 using the lens foot on the tripod, the camera body has some play and rotates a couple of milliniters around the lens mount. Is this normal?
--
Claudio

NRothschild Veteran Member • Posts: 6,216
Re: Neil quick question

Claudio,

Yes, this is normal and your camera has always done that. It is just more noticable and more annoying when you grab the body and it has that obvious play because the foot is so firmly held in place. Especially when you just paid a bundle to make everything else tight.

If you add a TC, you get double the play, more or less, because the same thing happens in the lens to TC connection.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Neil

LilKnytt Veteran Member • Posts: 7,213
Re: Tripod is here!

I'm so happy Claudio.

Congratulations.

Lil

OP ClaudioG Regular Member • Posts: 110

Neil thanks for the prompt answer. I feel better. Ithought I had a broken camera. As you said is just more noticeable now.

Thanks
--
ClaudioG

There must be a lot of broken 70-200VR's out there

It seems to come up with that lens more than others, although I think most of my lenses have some mount slop, to some extent or another.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Neil

leftheaded Regular Member • Posts: 466
Excellent Discussion!

I just read this entire discussion (both threads), learned a lot of info, and wanted to bump this in case anyone else is shopping for tripods. A tripod forum would be great

My plans are to get some combination of the following:
Gitzo 3530LSV or 3540LS
RRS BH-55 or Arca Swiss Z1

I just ordered the 3530LSV and BH-55 with the D80 L-plate from RRS. Should arrive tomorrow. If I have any reluctance after testing that combo out, I'll order the 3540LS and Z1 too. Then I'll experiment with all of it and return one ballhead and tripod soon after. This is a really hard purchase because I can't really find any of these items in local stores.

Most of the people involved with the original discussion might be long gone, but does anyone have any feedback on my situation?

-- hide signature --

pardon my typos

leftheaded's gear list:leftheaded's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +4 more
Re: Excellent Discussion!

The two ballheads you selected have very different ergonomics. As long as you don't mind flipping one set around, trying two is probably the only way you will figure out which you like better.

The differences between the two series 3 tripods is mainly folded length and maximum extension. The performance is probaby similar although all other things equal (and here these two 3 series legs are as equal as things get), a 3 section is sturdier than a 4 section (assuming you extend the 4 section's bottom section of course).

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Neil

Lou Tent Veteran Member • Posts: 3,595

Nice to see you back here Neil!

-- hide signature --

Yeah, the main reason I'm considering the 4 section is for the smaller dimension when collapsed... specifically for fitting in luggage (I figure 5 inches is irrelevant when it's strapped outside of a hiking pack). So, I just measured my luggage.

All of my three small, carry-on size bags have just over a 22" diagonal. My medium size bag has about a 27.5" diagonal. We'll see how the 3530LSV fits in that medium bag after I receive it
--
pardon my typos

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +4 more

I think you'll have a tough decision unless the 3 section doesn't fit

Whatever you decide I think you will be very pleased.
--
Regards,
Neil

Thanks Lou!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Neil

3530LSV & BH-55 Arrived

UPS just delivered a 3530LSV and BH-55 about an hour ago. First impression - wow! The setup is taller than I guess I expected. Legs fully extended, ballhead, camera is right about eye level for me - I'm 6'... I can't imagine how I'll use it fully extended yet... I guess only for shooting things at or above my eye level. Guess I could get away with just using 2 sections. This is already making wonder what the 3540LS would be like with only 3 sections extended... and just using the 4th sections when needed.

The ballhead is pretty nice... I'm coming from a cheap $30 camcorder tripod so this is very different. I like it, but I want to give it a proper shakedown and figure out if it works for me. Afraid I have a lot to learn.. better break out the manual - don't want to use it incorrectly.. or at least get the most out of it.

And I want to learn more about this "sweet spot" and what that means. How can I find the sweet spot for my setup?

-- hide signature --

pardon my typos

Re: 3530LSV & BH-55 Arrived

Lefty,

I do most of my shooting at eye level, but much of that is birding with a gimbal. I find that one of the benefits of a tripod is to be able to frame a scene standing up comfortably with no neck strain. That isn't always the best composition, of course- all depends on what you are shooting.

The sweet spot... this is the least amount of tension on the ball that allows it to stay put when you are not using it, but has minimal friction so that you can accurately frame the scene and then let go. I rarely lock my head down when I shoot (with a Markins M10 and M20). It is the nature of spherical ballheads (RRS/Markins/Kirk- everything except A/S) that the steeper the angle (up or down), the more more tension you need to set. The end result is that you will set the tension for some maximum angle, and then if you need an even steeper angle, you tighten the main locking knob a hair to get that extra level of tension, or reset the tension control if you will be shooting and reframing at that angle for some time (as in lunar imaging or maybe a bird high in a tgree that is moving about. or maybe shooting down for macro work).

Here is my procedure with my Markins heads, which will probably apply to the BH-55:

1) Set tension moderately loose- not loose enough that the head (and gear) flops over, but not overly tight).

2) Point the lens up about 40 degrees. Supporting the gear with one hand, loosen or tighten tension so that if it was any looser, the head would creep down.

You should now be able to position the head anywhere + - about 40 degrees and it should stay put. You should be able to accurately frame the scene, even with a long lens, and it should stay put. The movement should be smooth, which is part of the accurate framing thing. I have heard that RRS heads are sometimes not so smooth out of the box and need some use before they break in. If you don't like the smoothness, give it some time before you give up on it, and/or call RRS and ask about that.

The A-S head is elliptical, and the benefit of that design is that you will be able to hold steeper angles than with other heads. Since there is never a free lunch with anything, the A-S head may be difficult to move to extreme angles (I have seen this mentioned once or twice here).

I've only played wth the heads you mentioned briefly in the field, so the above is somewhat general. The idea is that when the main locking knob is fully loose, the head should not move or flop over. Except for extreme angles (BH-55), the main knob is generally used as an on-off switch, with the minimum tension set with the tension knob (or screw as with A-S). You should not have to be constantly tweaking the main knob to get good tension- the sweetspot is the point where tension is adequate even with the main knob fully loose. At least that is the way it works with my Markins.

I hope the above makes sense. It is difficult to explain, but more obvious once you've played around with it. Few people try more than one head- let us know what you think.

Neil

leftheaded wrote:

UPS just delivered a 3530LSV and BH-55 about an hour ago. First
impression - wow! The setup is taller than I guess I expected.
Legs fully extended, ballhead, camera is right about eye level for
me - I'm 6'... I can't imagine how I'll use it fully extended
yet... I guess only for shooting things at or above my eye level.
Guess I could get away with just using 2 sections. This is already
making wonder what the 3540LS would be like with only 3 sections
extended... and just using the 4th sections when needed.

The ballhead is pretty nice... I'm coming from a cheap $30
camcorder tripod so this is very different. I like it, but I want
to give it a proper shakedown and figure out if it works for me.
Afraid I have a lot to learn.. better break out the manual - don't
want to use it incorrectly.. or at least get the most out of it.

And I want to learn more about this "sweet spot" and what that
means. How can I find the sweet spot for my setup?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Neil

Gitzo Lifetime Warranty

I read here and at B&H's website that the Gitzo 3530 tripods come with a lifetime warranty. However, I cannot find any mention of this in the 3530LSV I just received. It's just generic stuff and basically says the warranty varies from region to region.

Yesterday, I sent an email to Gitzo (warranty@bogenimaging.com) and asked if this tripod has a lifetime warrany, but haven't heard back yet.

I also asked the people at RRS and they couldn't comment for sure. In fact, the person I talked to thought that Gitzo no longer offeres lifetime warranties.

This is a pretty big deal in my mind as that's the way I justified such an expensive purchase for an amature hobby.

Can anyone show a link with good details about the Gitzo warranty? I'm going to wait to hear what Gitzo's reply is, but I must say I'm itching to know one way or the other. lol
--
pardon my typos

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads