Tripod Help V2

This thread continues the previous one at:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=22668634

Please leave your comments.
--
ClaudioG

John Tangney Senior Member • Posts: 1,377
Need Tripod Forum

Just a note that is is because of threads like this, and many others that I believe we should have a separate forum for Tripods/Heads/Monopods/Supports. If you agree please send go to the Feedback section and add your voice to the request! This is obviously not specific to just a Nikon or any other camera brand.

NRothschild Veteran Member • Posts: 6,216
Re: Tripod Help V2

Claudio,

I was glad to see that you didn't have any second thoughts earlier today because I had a feeling it was too late to change anything

Both companies ship quick, as you found out.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Neil

ClaudioG OP Regular Member • Posts: 110

Neil I cant weit to have the stuff in!
--
ClaudioG

Re: Need Tripod Forum

John I do not disagree.
Buying a tripod is a difficult issue. It would be nice to have a tripod forum.
Ill be glad to second your request
--
Claudio

LilKnytt Veteran Member • Posts: 7,213

John,

as much as I don't disagree with you..... I still think these will happen. Reason is simple, someone shooting with a D200 & a specific lens combination, like I do, need someone to advice who understand that specific combo.

Maybe Canon people can advice, but it really takes someone who knows the specific camera & the lenses to truly help.

I'll be glad to second you, but I don't think these threads will go away. If they bother you - why don't you just skip reading them?

JMHO

Lil

John Tangney Senior Member • Posts: 1,377

LilKnytt wrote:

John,

as much as I don't disagree with you..... I still think these
will happen. Reason is simple, someone shooting with a D200 & a
specific lens combination, like I do, need someone to advice who
understand that specific combo.

Maybe Canon people can advice, but it really takes someone who
knows the specific camera & the lenses to truly help.

I'll be glad to second you, but I don't think these threads will go
away. If they bother you - why don't you just skip reading them?

JMHO

Lil

These threads do not "bother" me. They are useful, but they are also scattered through many forums. A tripod needed by someone with a D200 and a 400 mm lens is not going to be much different than someone with a Canon body ane their 400 mm lens needs.

What you are shooting, how heavy the camera, lens, length of lens, whether it has VR/IS, whether you are in a studio, hiking, or flying, what you are willing to carry, and your height are all aspects of what you need. The brand on the side of the camera or lens is the least of the concerns. I believe having a central forum for this would be useful to many people looking for a tripod or head or monopod, or other form of support (I have a bean bag that works great in many situations).

I see this as similar to forums for lighting, storage, or printers.

Claudio,

so which feisol did you get in the long run? 3 segment or 4?

Lil

OK John,

I've already stated that I'd be happy to second your motion.

Lil

I think there would be some benefits to a dedicated support forum. As long as people remember to stop by. It can be hard to get info on very specific gear once you go outside of the usual stuff.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Neil

Got the 3 segment. Your post pointed out that turning all those knobs on the 4 segment might have been a pain in the rear end. So I went for the most practical solution. I am afraid tho that I will have to buy a lighter tripod to travel with.
--
Claudio

ClaudioG wrote:

Got the 3 segment. Your post pointed out that turning all those
knobs on the 4 segment might have been a pain in the rear end. So I
went for the most practical solution. I am afraid tho that I will
have to buy a lighter tripod to travel with.
--
Claudio

Claudio,

did you see my reply in the old thread....

here's the link

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=22708829

There are reasons for not having too many segments other than knobs.

Lil

Lil;

I've been meaning to test your husbands theory about keeping the legs 3-4" retracted. I've heard that before, but never tried to set up a test.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Neil

Neil,

It's what I was taught in Film School way back when. I know they do it always with the film cameras & they weigh a lot more than our cameras do.

Ross often works with cameras which weigh up to 45 lbs. Not that he prefers that, but it does happen even on the Steadicam. But then they try to be nice to him & use lighter cameras.

I'm glad Ross reminded me, cause I'd put it out of my mind.....

Oh, I got the Kirk collar today & I got the cheap version of the Katzeye as well from China. Now to decide if I should install it or not......

Still concerned about the underexposure deal. Guess I better e-mail you about that.

Lil

Initial D Regular Member • Posts: 319

While not exactly a Tripod question, my question is would changing just the stock clamp on the Manfrotto / Bogen 488RC2 to an Arca Swiss type give added stability? Or is the effort not worth it?

I'm planning to get a Kirk collar for the 300mm f/4 and I was wondering if I'd just upgrade the QR clamp instead of changing the current ballhead / Manfrotto 190PROB / Bogen 3001BPRO tripod setup.

I believe the 488RC2 is able to hold 8kg while the tripod maxes out at 5kg. I estimate the total weight combo with the D2Hs camera body, 300mm f/4 lens, SB800 flash and 1.7x TC should weight anywhere in 3.5kg.

Will soon look to a Feisol 3371 / 3471 + Gimbal head for larger lens setup in the future.

Thanks.

Jason
--
http://www.pbase.com/jchue

Initial D Regular Member • Posts: 319

While not exactly a Tripod question, my question is would changing just the stock clamp on the Manfrotto / Bogen 488RC2 to an Arca Swiss type give added stability? Or is the effort not worth it?

I'm planning to get a Kirk collar for the 300mm f/4 and I was wondering if I'd just upgrade the QR clamp instead of changing the current ballhead / Manfrotto 190PROB / Bogen 3001BPRO tripod setup.

I believe the 488RC2 is able to hold 8kg while the tripod maxes out at 5kg. I estimate the total weight combo with the D2Hs camera body, 300mm f/4 lens, SB800 flash and 1.7x TC should weight anywhere in 3.5kg.

Will soon look to a Feisol 3371 / 3471 + Gimbal head for larger lens setup in the future.

Thanks.

Jason
--

Initial D wrote:

While not exactly a Tripod question, my question is would changing
just the stock clamp on the Manfrotto / Bogen 488RC2 to an Arca
Swiss type give added stability? Or is the effort not worth it?

I'm planning to get a Kirk collar for the 300mm f/4 and I was
wondering if I'd just upgrade the QR clamp instead of changing the
current ballhead / Manfrotto 190PROB / Bogen 3001BPRO tripod setup.

I can't give you any feedback on the QR clamp. But I did get the Kirk collar for the 300mm f/4 yesterday. It's well made.

I believe the 488RC2 is able to hold 8kg while the tripod maxes out
at 5kg. I estimate the total weight combo with the D2Hs camera
body, 300mm f/4 lens, SB800 flash and 1.7x TC should weight
anywhere in 3.5kg.

OK, since I just went through all this & went ahead & weighed my stuff, let me tell you what I found out.

I figure that my 70-200VR is probably my heaviest lens. The 300mm f/4 is slightly lighter. So I put my 70-200VR, with my Nikon TC17E-II, on my D200 body with the SB800. That came to a total weight of 9,9 lbs

So counting slightly high I set my weight at 10 lbs. Now if I'm not wrong that comes close to 5 kg.

You have the D2Hs camera, it's heavier than my D200. You have the 300mm f/4, slightly lighter than my 70-200VR. I don't know which TC you have - but lets just call those even. The SB800 is even.

Do yourself a favor and calculate based upon about 5 Kg.

Will soon look to a Feisol 3371 / 3471 + Gimbal head for larger
lens setup in the future.

Thanks.

Jason
--

Jason, as you may know from this thread & the one before - I just got the Feisol, the 3 element one. It's a great pair of legs.

Lil

See my previous answer.

Lil

Tripod is here!

Hi folks as promised I would like to follow up with my impression on this new tripod.

The Markins ballhead is excellent. Very smooth movement and has an easy to find sweet spot that hold the camera well even at steep angles and still let you move it relatively freely. It is a very well built product.

The feisol tripod is impressive with its 38mm legs is it extremely sturdy. It is definitely overkill for my current gear, although as previously pointed out, you cant overkill a tripod and the extra stability is alwais welcome.
It allows also lot of room to grow.

It came very well packaged and arrived from China in only 3 days. Quite impressive.

The tripod is professionally built with extreme care on details.

The carbon fiber is light and the tubes fit into each other with a tight precise fit. They slide easily but they create an almost airtight seal.

I order a center column which is made of large caliber carbon fiber tube. It is surprisingly very stable unless fully extended.

The tripod came with a nice bag with a padded shoulder strap. Allen wrenches to losen or tighten the legs are also included.

I took it for a spin today, and it is very manageable, stable and not heavy at all considering the impressive sturdiness it offer.

I do not have a gitzo to make a direct coparison but I have to say that I am extremely happy with both tripod and ballhead.

I wold like to thank everybody who gave suggestions.

I am very satisfied. A+ product.
--
Claudio

Re: Tripod is here!

Glad to hear you are happy with it, Claudio!

When you take that beast out in a stiff wind, you will appreciate it's overkill

It's something I appreciate with my G1410 that I would not like to give up.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Neil

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads