Continue A610, 620, S2IS, S3IS RAW, exposure bracketing and stuff...

Started Apr 2, 2007 | Discussions
ChildeRandom New Member • Posts: 14
Continue A610, 620, S2IS, S3IS RAW, exposure bracketing and stuff...

Looks like the "A610, 620, S2IS, S3IS RAW, exposure bracketing and stuff..." thread got filled. Number of messages, byte volume, who knows. Anyway, I'll start this continuation.

The A620 hacks definitely don't work with firmware version 1.00E. I updated my camera's firmware to 1.00F, though probably not from the same source as listed a couple of posts ago (don't ask - my source has disappeared). Of course it's risky, but mine has had no problems since. Start with fresh batteries, and don't turn the camera off during the update! I don't remember exactly what happened when I updated mine - the blue light blinked awhile, I think. It probably only took a few minutes, but I left it untouched for a good half-hour just to be sure. I might have been less tempted to update the firmware if I didn't have a second (different) camera available if I borked the A620, but I did want to be able to use the hacks.

My thanks to all those working hard on these hacks - I love the Canon A-series and I like raw files.

-- hide signature --

CR

freedom2000 Junior Member • Posts: 29
Re: Continue A610, 620, S2IS, S3IS RAW, exposure bracketing and stuff...

Hi all,

Here is my situation :

I got twice the firmware 1.00F.

Once here from seapeet :
ink: rapidshare.com/files/23864180/PSA620.rar.html

and once from Vitaly.

I hace compared the two files, they seem to be the same (same size, same date). Vitaly told me that some tested the FW upgrade and everything was Ok.

Does somebody confirm also that he has upgraded a A620 1.00E (version august 2005), with THE file in the above link ?

I am REALLY tempted to do the upgrade, but still somehow afraid to "brick" my A620 ...

JP

Seapeet New Member • Posts: 10

Hi

I upgraded my A620

Takes about 2-3 minutes to flash

N

harvester Contributing Member • Posts: 693

freedom2000 wrote:

I am REALLY tempted to do the upgrade, but still somehow afraid to
"brick" my A620 ...

I think the regular HDK FW hack is no problem, since it doesn't change anything in the camera. Just turn the cam off, and everything is back to normal.

But since you are trying to make a real FW update, you should make absolutely sure that you have the right file, and that nothing will disturb the update process. As somebody said before: Make sure your batteries are fully charged and give the cam enough time for the procedure. If it is disturbed in the middle of the process, chances are that you will toast your cam and can't do anything about it anymore except sending it to Canon for repair.

Another question is if there are any hardware incompatibilities, where the newer FW requires a certain piece of new hardware in the cam, which you might not have. I doubt that, but I wanted to mention it nevertheless.

Someone feels like starting a Wiki?

Does someone feel like setting up a Wiki for us?

We could write some FAQ there which you can not find on digicanon's page, but which were discussed in the threads here before. I think there is plenty of info in russian out there, but in english we only have digicanon's page and the postings in the various threads here.

We could also include more scripts, post some example pics, perhaps write a quick start guide how to use the bracketing script and so on.

Seapeet wrote:

Hi

I upgraded my A620

Takes about 2-3 minutes to flash

N

Hi Seapeet,

I suppose that you did it with the file that you sent me. Could you confirm the "integrity" of this firmware ?

I bought my A620 in december 2005, with a Firmware version 1.00E from august 2005. When did you buy yours ? (just to "cross_check" that if it worked for yours it will work for mine )

Thanks again
JP

This original fw is for A620E, worked for me(and still works;).

N

Script

Here's another script I wrote:
Fill flash bracketing
http://www.file-upload.net/download-238698/fill-flash-brk.bas.html

What does it do?

It takes multiple photos. The first one without flash, then only a little bit of fill flash to lighten the shadows, then some more flash etc. It also has a timer for self-portraits.

I wrote this script because I made some pics of objects and of myself under difficult light conditions (light from behind the object shining directly into the lens -> overexposed background, underexposed foreground). With this script, I made a couple of pics with different fill flash intensity and decided afterwards which pic had the best/most interesting lighting.

(Note that this script works fine for me, but it does not necessarily for you. I had to put a lot of sleep cycles in there, otherwise the clicks would have been to fast for the cam to deal with it, with unpredictable clicks in the camera menus. If your cam is slower than mine or has other menus, you will have to make some adjustments to the script.)

Seapeet wrote:

This original fw is for A620E, worked for me(and still works;).

N

OK thanks.

I understand that it is an ORIGINAL Canon firmware --> Am I right ?

But I don't understand what you meen with A620E. Is it a different hardware compared to the orignial Canon A620 powershot ?
Is there a risk to use this firmware on this camera ?

JP

Hi

My camera was Canon A620 with firmware E, after upgrade it is the same camera , but firmware shows F now;)

N

Seapeet wrote:

Hi

My camera was Canon A620 with firmware E, after upgrade it is the
same camera , but firmware shows F now;)

N

Ok it's clear now : we were in the same situation, I think (hope) that we will still be in the same situation after my firmware upgrade --> a working A620 with 1.00F FW !

Thanks again for you help
JP

Hi all,

I DID IT

I have now a 1.00F firmware on my A620

I have also tested the "raw hack" --> works sooooo well !

MANY thanks to seapeet and Vitaly --> great job guys !

JP

New FW(v87): RAW file name improvements

Some new features of Changeset 87 (and before):

• You can choose prefix and extension of the RAW files (new standard: something like CRW_7513.CRW), and they get the same number and date of the Jpeg-Files. Helps a lot in the practical use of the RAWs. You can also choose where the RAWs should be stored. I put them in the same directory as the Jpegs.

• File browser can now delete files. Nice for unwanted RAWs.

• integrated text reader. If you want to read ebooks on your cam.

• Flashlight. If you switch the display to simple mode and flip and turn the LCD screen around, it becomes pure white. Might be helpful if you want to shoot a video in total darkness, and the object is only a few inches away. ^^

solenotte Forum Member • Posts: 68
Re: New FW(v87): RAW file name improvements

what file should i look for? where did you find it?
thx a lot in advance
soley

Marty Too Senior Member • Posts: 1,175

Does it make any difference which extension you choose? What is your preference for keeping the RAW files as to be easy to organize?

Thanks again!

Script

I've read this

Plus there's a setting called Natural Light+Flash that takes 2 pictures when you press the shutter. First with no flash and higher ISO with natural light and the second using the flash. You can choose the one you like later. Very useful in many conditions.

here
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1010&thread=22764630

and thought this might be useful to have as a script:

http://www.file-upload.net/download-242518/natural-flash.bas.html

Marty Too wrote:

Does it make any difference which extension you choose? What is
your preference for keeping the RAW files as to be easy to organize?

Don't think so. I put my RAW files in the same directory as the images and name them IMG_1234.CRW, so that they are close to the Jpegs (IMG_1234.JPG).

New FW(cs95): automatic loading at boot

Good news, everyone. It seems that Vitaly is examining right now how he can spare us the process of loading the fw hack everytime at startup.

It seems he has come up with a pretty clever solution: The original fw stays untouched (I think), but the SD card is made bootable. So in theory, the fw hack should be present everytime you turn your cam on, as long as the fw file and the boot file are on the SD card. Right now it seems that is does not work on every cam, but they are looking after it.

Here's the process:
1. Download the pre10 from vitalys website (grand's version not available yet)
2. Put the two files PS.FIR and DISKBOOT.BIN in the root directory of the card
3. load the fw hack on the normal way (playback mode> fw update)
4. goto menu and select "Make card bootable..."
5. turn the cam off and switch the small switch on the SD card to protect it

Now the hack should be available when you turn on your cam normally. It works fine with my A610, but it may not work for you yet. Since I don't speak russian I've not completely figured out if this fw changes the original fw, but I don't think so.

gorton Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: New FW(cs95): automatic loading at boot

wow, great.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads