EX-Z750 Firmware & Saturation

Started Mar 19, 2007 | Discussions
larrytusaz Senior Member • Posts: 2,564
EX-Z750 Firmware & Saturation

I am considering a Casio EX-Z750 as a 3rd camera (yes, a 3rd). I already have the Nikon D50 d-SLR and the Sony H1 superzoom. I'm considering the EX-Z750 for "compact, portable" situations.

I like it for its good overall reviews, thrifty MPEG4 movie mode, extremely small size yet good-sized 2½" LCD and its snappy operation (from what I've heard). Plus it has more manual controls than many other ultra-compacts. I had a Sony DSC-W1 once, but those models are notorious for getting dust in them, something mentioned often in the forums (and I experienced it myself) but never in the reviews.

My only concern is the "oversaturation" of images. I have heard of many recommending turning down the saturation, but I also thought I read somewhere that Casio issued a new firmware that provided more "realistic" colors that weren't so "Disneyland-like." Is this true? If not, would turning down the saturation to -1 (or -2) be good enough?

I do also realize that the flash is not as strong with the EX-Z750 as others. There is supposed to be this "flash assist" feature that takes care of this somewhat (I'm sure it would result in more noise in the photo as a result). Any experience with it? Is this something that could be set in the "user memories" and more easily switched off/on that way?

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro +3 more
leogenghis Forum Member • Posts: 87
Re: EX-Z750 Firmware & Saturation

Hi there,

My previous camera before my current Casio Z750, coincidentally, was also a Sony DSC-W1 (which I still have, by the way, for those times when I need a wider field-of-view as I bought the wide-angle lens attachment). The flash on the Z750 isn't as effective as the newer Z850 in throttling up and down according to distance from subject, but there is a flash intensity setting in the menu which you could manually adjust to compensate. Personally I'm satisfied with the saturation, but perhaps someone else could elaborate. I don't know what firmware version my camera has.

Leo

leogenghis Forum Member • Posts: 87

There does exist a "flash assist" feature which you can set to AUTO (which I do) or OFF. It remains in memory until you change it.

Leo

Reps Contributing Member • Posts: 951

Initial overboosted values were fixed with firmware upgrades amongst many other improvements. Still using mine as dSLR companion with nearly 30000 shots/videos/recordings and have never been sorry with my choice
Best and happy shooting, JR
--

RJM124 Contributing Member • Posts: 702

Yes firmware did fix the problem.
Flash assist here are some examples.
Flash assist. dose it help you be the judge!
Bob

No flash

Flash with flish assist. on auto

Taken in complite darkness with flash and assist.

dazco Senior Member • Posts: 1,794

I think there was a point at which the 750's flash was changed for the better because i too have no problem with it like so many others mentioned. Coulda been they fixed it partway thru the production, or maybe the newer firmware did, tho i think the former because those who complained i'm sure updated, or at least some of them. i have yet to take a shot where the flash wasn't good enough. In fact, i usually turn it DOWN !

BigMax Contributing Member • Posts: 998

Yes, these are good examples. It does look like they boosted the flash performance to be equivalent to the z850, which is excellent.

RJM124 Contributing Member • Posts: 702

O by the way the firmware fix was for the oversaturation (Disneyland like) not the flash. My z750 which was one of the 1st out, the flash with assist worked great.
Bob

Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 18,545
As others have pointed out, the saturation was turned

down in a firmware release that came soon after the camera was introduced. It could also be controlled through the menus. This was a quick Casio response to reviewers' comments. I have never heard that this firmware update involved the flash or if the flash was changed during the production cycle. I bought one of the earliest models and have never had a complaint.
I use it as a carry-at-all-times camera; I also have two dSLRs.

My question is where you will find one now, unless it is used.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Leica C-Lux +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads