Coolpix P5000 received + samples (large)

Started Mar 19, 2007 | Discussions
w3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,839
Auto ISOs - Re: Image Quality...

Federico wrote:

....It seems to be so high...similar to an F30 , or even better, at
high ISO settings..

Those two Nikon Coolpix P5000 images at higher ISOs seem to have been taken under P5000's Anti-Shake mode Auto ISO, with Shutter Speed at about 1/150s with the corresponding ISOs for the correct exposure.

Fuji F30's Anti-Blur mode Auto ISO would take pictures at ISOs to maintain a Minimum Shutter Speed of something like 1/300s or over, and would easily get to ISO 1600 or 3200 - too high to be useful.

F30's Natural Light mode would take pictures at ISOs to maintain a Min SS of 1/100s, and would produce images at SS from 1/100s to 1/200s with the corresponding ISOs for the correct exposure. The ISOs (and SS) chosen would usually be higher than necessary for still subjects.

F30's "regular" mode - M mode, which is actually P mode, would take pictures at ISOs to maintain a Min SS of 1/60s, and would produce images at SS from 1/60s to 1/120s (in the main region of the Auto ISO) with the corresponding ISOs for the correct exposure. The ISOs (and SS) chosen would still be a little higher than necessary for still subjects.

I am very much interested in finding out how Nikon P5000's P mode Auto ISO behaves. Is there a Min SS for P5000's P mode Auto ISO? What is it? I would imagine the Shutter Speed chosen under P5000's P mode Auto ISO would be slower than its ANTI-SHAKE's 1/150s. The ISO chosen would also likely be lower and therefore produce images at less noise.

The "soft look" is a great great bonus...true professional quality.

For those who don't mind doing PP.

I've had enough of over sharpened and over saturated images....this
is not quality!
It's a patetic, commercial way to sell new cameras...

Yes, some digicams would do that. It is much harder if even possible to save over-sharpened images during PP without losing much more detail. On the other hand, during PP - if you don't mind doing PP, you can safely sharpen the naturally softer images coming out of the camera.

Tones passages seems to be delicates and should be a good point to
have a good skin tone....and having a good file that allow us to
make a good PP work without too many artifacts is the road that
leads to the best quality and the best interpretation of the shot.

Agree:

Naturally softer images from the sensor without too much in-camera processing -> Less Artifacts -> PP (More Work though) -> Better Quality for those who don't mind the time and effort.

No camera default can do it...

But recent Coolpix digicams could have the defaults set for slightly sharper images. For those who are too lazy like me to change any camera settings or do any PP most of the time, we can get slightly better results directly out of the camera - knowing they wouldn't be the best.

Occasionally, or for those of us who aim for perfection, don't mind doing any PP, and therefore won't mind changing the camera defaults to softer settings, we can do so as well because most Coolpix models do allow users to set Contrast, Sharpening, Saturation, .... etc. Other digicams such as Fuji F30/31s don't.

So...excuse my poor English (as I'm italian..) and enjoy your
camera...

You did great.

paperorplastic Senior Member • Posts: 1,498
Re: Coolpix P5000 received + samples (large)

Where did you buy it from and how did you get it so soon, if you don't mind saying?

Michel Cojan
Michel Cojan Contributing Member • Posts: 694
Re: Image Quality...

Federico_ wrote:

....It seems to be so high...similar to an F30 , or even better, at
high ISO settings..
The "soft look" is a great great bonus...true professional quality.
I've had enough of over sharpened and over saturated images....this
is not quality!
It's a patetic, commercial way to sell new cameras...

Federico, when I am wondering about the P5000’s sharpness, I am referring to the LENS QUALITY ALONE, not the in-camera software applied sharpness (over sharpned or not) and not the in-camera processing, all together. And I was comparing it to Canon G7 and A640 because they both have very nice ’’naturally sharp’’ lenses (and results) and the P5000 is ment to be (to a certain degree) their direct competitor. Judging on what I’ve seen so far though (at low ISO), the P5000 LENS seems to me softer than the other two I mentioned above.

On the other hand, I beleive that having a sharp lens to start with, would’t harm anyone, and if I needed softer results at times, I would rather do the opposite and lower the in-camera sharpness, while i always can go back if sharper images are needed (not to mention that one could ’’soften’’ an image at will in PP). When the lens is itself SOFT, I ’m very much afraid no software (in-camera or computer based) could bring back that sens of ’’PRESENCE’’ given by a naturally sharp lens.

One last question; would you consider Leica’s lenses for example (the M series) as over-sharp? I believe not. And while we are talking about completely different ’’leagues’’ here, the G7’s optics are not that far in terms of pure Optical quality, the rest is sensor, in-camera processing, etc. There is an article on that at Luminous Landscapes. Just follow the link:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/Canon-G7.shtml

Michel Cojan's gear list:Michel Cojan's gear list
Nikon D3400 +1 more
Zalan Contributing Member • Posts: 864
Re: Auto ISOs - Re: Image Quality...

w3 wrote:

But recent Coolpix digicams could have the defaults set for
slightly sharper images. For those who are too lazy like me to
change any camera settings or do any PP most of the time, we can
get slightly better results directly out of the camera - knowing
they wouldn't be the best.

Come on, changing a setting once is not a big deal.

-- hide signature --
 Zalan's gear list:Zalan's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P5000 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
Greg Gebhardt
Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,535
Check out eBay

The P5000 was introduced in Japan days ago and you can order a grey market one and have it in a few days.

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida
D Two Xs
M Eight
G Seven

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica Q Leica M9 Nikon D4
ricoche Forum Member • Posts: 57
Re: Check out eBay

Greg Gebhardt wrote:

The P5000 was introduced in Japan days ago and you can order a grey
market one and have it in a few days.

Yep, Just received mine a couple of days ago in the mail here in Japan. My first impression of the camera was like a "mini" D200. The menus and such reminded of that. The camera really feels great and I'm definitely glad I bought one. I bought it for $327.00 here in Nagano, Japan.

Re: Auto ISOs - Re: Image Quality...

Zalan wrote:

w3 wrote:

But recent Coolpix digicams could have the defaults set for
slightly sharper images. For those who are too lazy like me to
change any camera settings or do any PP most of the time, we can
get slightly better results directly out of the camera - knowing
they wouldn't be the best.

Come on, changing a setting once is not a big deal.

Actually, it wasn't really me.

Nikon Coolpix lost points in reviews for having softer images when using default settings, even though you can change settings and have sharper images coming out of the camera.

For example - the 7900 Review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp7900/page9.asp

Conclusion - Cons

• Images soft (though they respond well to unsharp masking)

By the way, any P5000 owners have answers to my Auto ISO questions?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Check out eBay

Thanks for the info.

ricoche wrote:

Greg Gebhardt wrote:

The P5000 was introduced in Japan days ago and you can order a grey
market one and have it in a few days.

Yep, Just received mine a couple of days ago in the mail here in
Japan. My first impression of the camera was like a "mini" D200.
The menus and such reminded of that. The camera really feels great
and I'm definitely glad I bought one. I bought it for $327.00 here
in Nagano, Japan.

Mini D200?

You don't mean that the P5000 has Customizable Auto ISO like the D200 does, where you can set the Max ISO and Min Shutter Speed?

How does P5000's P mode Auto ISO work?

Thanks for answers in advance.

Re: Coolpix P5000 pictures posted on a chinese site

Michel Cojan wrote:

Hi everybody,

I found this link in another thread here in the Nikon forum:

http://dp.pconline.com.cn/photoblog/photoes.do?method=showSamplePhoto&pid=319491&pic=5

It’s a chinese blog, claiming the pictures are out of the Coolpix
P5000 (though the pict. numbers do not look as out of a Nikon
cam_file names just numbers?). To accede full size click on the red
link bellow the central (small size) picture.

To me, they look (again) soft and lacking contrast and with a
yelowish-greenish cast... Anyways, here’s the link... Any opinion?

Some of them show a yelowish-greenish cast I think because of some actual outdoor scenes having lots of green and haze. It is that time of the year - the weather there in China. You could see the difference between the closer subjects and farther away subjects. You can also find other sample pictures of other scenes or subjects there not having the yelowish-greenish cast.

There are lots of images of night scene pictures too. Unfortunately, the photographer mostly used only ISO 64 (and a tripod, I assume). There are two or three pictures at ISO 100. I could find no sample pictures there with ISO higher than 100.

Tore Lund Senior Member • Posts: 2,657
ISO

w3 wrote:

Mini D200?

You don't mean that the P5000 has Customizable Auto ISO like the
D200 does, where you can set the Max ISO and Min Shutter Speed?

You probably want some extra info besides what is in the manual. I just note with horror what it says in the manual (p. 71):

"Auto is equivalent to ISO 64 under normal conditions; when lighting is poor and the flash is off, the camera compensates by raising ISO sensitivity to a maximum of ISO 800 (note that ISO sensitivity is fixed at 64 in mode M)."

Someone please tell me: can it really be true that sensitivity is fixed at 64 in mode M? I do hope they mean that ISO is initialized to 64, or that I am missing something.
--
Tore
http://home.no/tl18/

Re: ISO

Tore Lund wrote:

w3 wrote:

Mini D200?

You probably want some extra info besides what is in the manual. I
just note with horror what it says in the manual (p. 71):

Where do you find the online manual (I suppose it is an online manual that you are referring to)?

"Auto is equivalent to ISO 64 under normal conditions; when
lighting is poor and the flash is off, the camera compensates by
raising ISO sensitivity to a maximum of ISO 800 (note that ISO
sensitivity is fixed at 64 in mode M)."

Someone please tell me: can it really be true that sensitivity is
fixed at 64 in mode M?

That means Auto ISO and/or other ISOs are available in P mode, A mode, S mode, Anti-Shake mode ...... etc, except M mode?

I do hope they mean that ISO is initialized
to 64, or that I am missing something.

Darlene Goff Veteran Member • Posts: 3,601

Don't know if I am reading it right either, but if you have auto iso turned off, it would stay at the baseline auto until you change it to a different iso setting. Whereas with auto iso, it will stay at baseline iso but go up as needed. Is that correct? If so, it would be similar to what my DSLRs do.

I hope you have a choice of setting different iso's manually with auto iso turned off like you do with a DSLR.
--
Darlene
Dee 70, Dee 50, 8800. See other equipment in profile.

http://www.pbase.com/imacatmom

Darlene Goff's gear list:Darlene Goff's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon Coolpix P900 +3 more
Greg Gebhardt
Have G7 now but want the P5000

Never owneed a Canon till just recently and would rather have the P5000. Hope it has good macro or close up ability.

For those who are looking the SB400 sould work perfectly on the P5000
--
Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida
D Two Xs
M Eight
G Seven

Looking at the original poster's DSCN0008.JPG with ISO 706 and DSCN0013.JPG with ISO 1476, I think there is finally life in Nikon Coolpix's Auto ISO - at least under its ANTI-SHAKE scene mode Auto ISO which actually seems to have too much life - pushing up to higher ISOs a little bit too eagerly.

Most of the older Coolpix models' Auto ISOs were pretty much lifeless - only worked between ISO 50 and 200 (or 400 at the most) and they were only put into action to maintain shutter speed above 1/4s to avoid hot pixels, or to help boost the weak on-board flash.

I hope that P5000's P mode has a better Auto ISO scheme now.

paperorplastic Senior Member • Posts: 1,498
Re: Have G7 now but want the P5000

But why do you wish to have the P5000 over the G7?

Just curious about your line of thinking and experience with the G7 as I need one of the two, and soon.

Greg Gebhardt
I find the G7

no easy to hold onto. Do not get me wrong it takes good images but I also have to have an external flash and use the 380ex which is huge on the G7.

The P5000 could use my smaller SB400 flash and even get bounce. The P5000 has a much better "handle" compared to the G7. I use this camera on a daily basis for work and external flash is a must.

I will keep both to see if the P5000 is up to the G7 quality, if it is I will see the G7. It kinda worries me as the P5000 is cheaper than the G7, hope the quality is there.

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida
D Two Xs
M Eight
G Seven

Tore Lund Senior Member • Posts: 2,657

w3 wrote:

Where do you find the online manual (I suppose it is an online
manual that you are referring to)?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1007&message=22480042

That means Auto ISO and/or other ISOs are available in P mode, A
mode, S mode, Anti-Shake mode ...... etc, except M mode?

Fair enough that Auto ISO is not avaiable in M mode, but we definitely want to select between the fixed values - that's what M mode is all about.
--
Tore

OP uneed New Member • Posts: 9

Tore Lund wrote:

w3 wrote:

Mini D200?

The posts that I made were taken with Auto ISO on in the P mode. It seems that the P5000 prefers to increase the ISO dramatically to obtain good shutter speeds. Several pictures that I took indoors yesterday ended up with ISO values in the 800-1600 range.

You probably want some extra info besides what is in the manual. I
just note with horror what it says in the manual (p. 71):

"Auto is equivalent to ISO 64 under normal conditions; when
lighting is poor and the flash is off, the camera compensates by
raising ISO sensitivity to a maximum of ISO 800 (note that ISO
sensitivity is fixed at 64 in mode M)."

800 doesn't seem to be the maximum for Auto ISO, see above.

Someone please tell me: can it really be true that sensitivity is
fixed at 64 in mode M? I do hope they mean that ISO is initialized
to 64, or that I am missing something.

You can set the ISO to any value in M mode, including Auto ISO.

-- hide signature --

Lars

Re: Questions

Tore Lund wrote:

When you get the time to get to know the camera...

Are there blinking highlights in one of the playback screens? I
find no reference to it in the manual. (Panasonic has also
"forgotten" it on the FZ8 - no doubt this is the next feature
slated for extincton.)

Yes, there is a view in the playback mode that shows you the picture with blinking highlights, a histogram, image name, exposure mode (P, S, A, M etc), shutter speed, aperture, EV and ISO.

In SAM modes, can you set both shutter speeds and apertures in 1/3
of a stop increments, or are full stops increments only available
for shutter speed? (The latter is normal on Coolpix cameras.)

Full stops it seems, haven't had time to dig deep into the settings though.

TIA.
--
Tore

Lars

Re: Coolpix P5000 received + samples (large)

paperorplastic wrote:

Where did you buy it from and how did you get it so soon, if you
don't mind saying?

I bought it from Dustin (www.dustin.se) in Sweden. Several of the major online camera stores in Sweden seem to have it in stock since Friday.

Lars

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads