Macro Lens Advice

Started Mar 16, 2007 | Discussions
bkj Senior Member • Posts: 1,339
Macro Lens Advice

I'm considering the following lesnes:

1) Tamron 90/2.8
2) Sigma 105/2.8
3) Sigma 150/2.8 HSM

Never owned a true 1:1 macro lens. Would like to get one of the above to explore the 1:1 world.

I'm not considering the Nikkor 105/2.8 VR because I use flash and/or tripod. VR is not needed, and I'm not willing to pay extra for something that I won't use.

Other than exploring the 1:1 world, I would also want to use this macro lens for general floral photography.

By the way, I won't shoot insects, because I'm afraid of bugs. So, my 1:1 world will have nothing that moves.

So, anyone with experience with any of these lenses to share? Any advice? Thank you in advance.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm S3 Pro
Tokina AF 12-24/4.0
Nikon AF-S 18-200/3.5-5.6G VR
Tamron AF 28-75/2.8
Tamron AF 70-300/4-5.6

http://www.flickr.com/photos/autoclavable/

gerry2153 Regular Member • Posts: 345
sig 105

I would give a thumbs up to the sigma 105
here are a couple from last night
it was getting late so all are with an assist from the SB-600

good luck on you decision-
All have good reps

DimensionSeven Contributing Member • Posts: 864
Re: sig 105

Sigma 105 at f3.5, yesterday afternoon.

You cannot go wrong with any of them, and you may also add Sigma 50 macro and Sigma 70 macro. The difference is only the working distance. But the 150 is quite big and heavy, not really for haldhold usage (indeed, it does have a tripod holder) and it's a but more pricey - but still below Nikon 105VR.

 DimensionSeven's gear list:DimensionSeven's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +8 more
OP bkj Senior Member • Posts: 1,339
Re: With SB-600 [2 pics]

Thanks Gerry. I just got the price quotes for the Sigma 105 and 150 from my dealer. The price difference is not that big, and I'm leaning towards the 150/2.8 for the versatility (as a tele), and the HSM.

Those are great captures with your 105/2.8. Speaking of the use of SB-600 for flowers, I had a couple that were shot with the assist of SB-600 too.

Shot with Tamron 70-300/4.0-5.6 on S3 Pro. JPEG, no PP

Shot with Nikon 18-200 VR on S3 Pro. JPEG, no PP.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm S3 Pro
Tokina AF 12-24/4.0
Nikon AF-S 18-200/3.5-5.6G VR
Tamron AF 28-75/2.8
Tamron AF 70-300/4-5.6

http://www.flickr.com/photos/autoclavable/

OP bkj Senior Member • Posts: 1,339
Re: sig 105

Thanks a lot for the nice shot. I've been looking for a distant flower shot like this with the Sigma 105/2.8. I think I'm opting for the 150/2.8 for the smaller angle of view.

Anyway, thanks again for your comment, and the nice shot.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm S3 Pro
Tokina AF 12-24/4.0
Nikon AF-S 18-200/3.5-5.6G VR
Tamron AF 28-75/2.8
Tamron AF 70-300/4-5.6

http://www.flickr.com/photos/autoclavable/

mrtac2man Contributing Member • Posts: 649
Re: With SB-600 [2 pics]

those are nice for a tamron... if you are shooting flowers and not bugs or butterflys.. maybe think about a 60 mm nikon or the new sigma 70 looks good... I have an older sigma 105 and love it.. here are a couple

breanain Regular Member • Posts: 498
Re: Macro Lens Advice

No experience with those, but I have the Nikon 60mm Micro and enjoy it a lot. Here are some recent pictures I took with it:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1030&thread=22452587

More can be found on my site (click my tag "60mm f/2.8 Micro").

Enjoy whichever lens you get.
-Brendan

-- hide signature --

My Flickr Site: http://flickr.com/photos/mcmlxxxvi/
Gear in profile. — Please do not edit photos I post without my permission.

OP bkj Senior Member • Posts: 1,339
Re: With SB-600 [2 pics]

Wow, thanks. These are really nice. Especially the first one. I've played with the lenses just a while ago at the store, and like the working distance of the 150mm. Still thinking, but more likely with the 150mm. Thanks for your suggestion and picutures.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm S3 Pro
Tokina AF 12-24/4.0
Nikon AF-S 18-200/3.5-5.6G VR
Tamron AF 28-75/2.8
Tamron AF 70-300/4-5.6

http://www.flickr.com/photos/autoclavable/

OP bkj Senior Member • Posts: 1,339
Re: Macro Lens Advice

These are nice, I like the last one the most. Thank you for your advice. I've just tried out these macro lenses just a while ago. I like the 150mm the most for the working distance. The build quality, versatility, and HSM are also very appealing.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm S3 Pro
Tokina AF 12-24/4.0
Nikon AF-S 18-200/3.5-5.6G VR
Tamron AF 28-75/2.8
Tamron AF 70-300/4-5.6

http://www.flickr.com/photos/autoclavable/

DStan
DStan Forum Pro • Posts: 10,722
Re: Macro Lens Advice

bkj wrote:

I'm considering the following lesnes:

1) Tamron 90/2.8
2) Sigma 105/2.8
3) Sigma 150/2.8 HSM

I have the Nikon 60mm and the Sigma 150mm. I would recommend the Sigma for the following reasons:
Working Distance:
Sigma 150 7.75 inch
Sigma 105 4.7 inch
Tamron 3.3 inch
Nikon 2.9 inch
Sigma 150 HSM (AFS) fast focus with instant manual override, sweet.
Sigma 150 has Internal Focus and constant length, the others extend - yuck

Sigma 150 comes with a nice tripod foot, can detach without taking lens off the camera.

They are all sharp lenses and produce superb images.

OP bkj Senior Member • Posts: 1,339
Re: Macro Lens Advice

Thank you very much for your advice. I'm really leaning towards the 150/2.8. The price differences between it and the others are not so big.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm S3 Pro
Tokina AF 12-24/4.0
Nikon AF-S 18-200/3.5-5.6G VR
Tamron AF 28-75/2.8
Tamron AF 70-300/4-5.6

http://www.flickr.com/photos/autoclavable/

Vertumnus Regular Member • Posts: 448
Re: Macro Lens Advice

Hi,

For general floral photography a combination of macros around 150-200mm and 50-60mm works best.

1.The "long" macro allows not only for longer working distance,helpful in proper lighting of the subject,but also facilitates isloating a flower/flowers against (nicely) blurred background,to point out the most importat merits.

2.The "short" macro is especially good for close-to-mid-range group floral photos as well as vert small floral details at magnification ratio near 1:1.

If I had to choose only one macro for foral phtography,I would go for the longest focal lenght I could get.
--
Etruscus

italy74 Contributing Member • Posts: 909
Re: Macro Lens Advice

Hi Bkj

looking at your post I too think whatever you get, you won't go wrong.

That said, if you aren't shooting at insects, a longer shooting distance might be not as useful and it should give you a very shallower depth of field to play with. Of course, Sigma 150 has always been one of the finest Sigma lenses and its construction makes it able to work also as a fast telephoto at constant aperture. Stan was right. I don't know the Sigma 105 but the Tamron extends (especially for macro) and this prevents you from achieving the larger apertures (F2.8, for example). It's also true that with such aperture, you would have less than 1mm to work, so at the end they could be effectively useless. In real use, and even if I'm still a beginner, I found myself at working with a range between F5.6 - F16 to have enough DOF on a 90mm..

Just to know,
--
'Sell knowledge, buy intuition' (indian proverb)

http://italy74.smugmug.com

Photography is the most beautiful way to discover God around us in little and simple things.
My kits under my profile

OP bkj Senior Member • Posts: 1,339
Re: Macro Lens Advice

Vertumnus wrote:

For general floral photography a combination of macros around
150-200mm and 50-60mm works best.

1.The "long" macro allows not only for longer working
distance,helpful in proper lighting of the subject,but also
facilitates isloating a flower/flowers against (nicely) blurred
background,to point out the most importat merits.

2.The "short" macro is especially good for close-to-mid-range group
floral photos as well as vert small floral details at magnification
ratio near 1:1.

If I had to choose only one macro for foral phtography,I would go
for the longest focal lenght I could get.

Thank you very much for your advice. I'm now also thinking of the Sigma 50mm/2.8 because of its low price.

Cheers

OP bkj Senior Member • Posts: 1,339
Re: Macro Lens Advice

Thank you very much for your advice and experience sharing. I also find myself using a very small aperture when shooting flowers to increase the depth of field.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm S3 Pro
Tokina AF 12-24/4.0
Nikon AF-S 18-200/3.5-5.6G VR
Tamron AF 28-75/2.8
Nikon AF 50/1.4D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/autoclavable/

cybertec69 Contributing Member • Posts: 717
Re: sig 105

bkj wrote:

Thanks a lot for the nice shot. I've been looking for a distant
flower shot like this with the Sigma 105/2.8. I think I'm opting
for the 150/2.8 for the smaller angle of view.

Anyway, thanks again for your comment, and the nice shot.

Cheers

here you go, D200 with the Sigma 150/2.8 APO HSM Macro, and SB80flash in CLS mode, both camera and SB 800 where on a tripod, enjoy,

 cybertec69's gear list:cybertec69's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR
cybertec69 Contributing Member • Posts: 717
Re: Macro Lens Advice

bkj wrote:

Vertumnus wrote:

For general floral photography a combination of macros around
150-200mm and 50-60mm works best.

1.The "long" macro allows not only for longer working
distance,helpful in proper lighting of the subject,but also
facilitates isloating a flower/flowers against (nicely) blurred
background,to point out the most importat merits.

2.The "short" macro is especially good for close-to-mid-range group
floral photos as well as vert small floral details at magnification
ratio near 1:1.

If I had to choose only one macro for foral phtography,I would go
for the longest focal lenght I could get.

Thank you very much for your advice. I'm now also thinking of the
Sigma 50mm/2.8 because of its low price.

Cheers

Both the 150mm and 50mm Sigmas are sharp lenses, love them both.

D200 with MB200,D70
Nikor 70-200VR/2.8, Nikor17-55DX/2.8, Nikor 18-70DX/Nikor TC 1.7
Sigma 150 2.8 APO Macro DG HSM,Sigma 50 2.8 DG Macro
SB-800/SB400
Sigma EM-140DG/Macro Flash
MC35 remote triger
http://cybertec.smugmug.com

 cybertec69's gear list:cybertec69's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR
Bmark Senior Member • Posts: 2,151
Re: Macro Lens Advice

I have the Sigma 150. I traded in my Tamron 90 to get the additional working distance, but I like to shoot a lot of bugs (are you afraid of butterflys?) and they tend to be skiddish. I have not used the Sigma 105, but you will not be dissapointed with either of the other two.

Mark

 Bmark's gear list:Bmark's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX10 III Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads