What is wrong with my camera?

Started Mar 14, 2007 | Discussions
techdokker Junior Member • Posts: 43
What is wrong with my camera?

Hi all,

Until now, I use my 30D since july last year without any problem whatsoever, except for the (occasionally) dust

Until now.Last weekend I was taking advantage of the beatifull weather and drove through our polder. While shooting I saw briefly a white arc on my display, but because of the bright ambient light I did not pay attention to it.

I came home and uploaded the photos to my computer to have a decent look. The following photos appeared on my screen... and shocked me!

What the is going on! What's wrong with my camera??? At first I thought it was the result of not having a hood, but after the second look the arc appeared on a photo I took with a different lens WITH hood attached. And, the arc appeard on the same position.

So I made some test photos, with different lenses, in diferent lighting situations. I also had a close look at some 'studio' product photos I made the preceding days. These looked okay.

From the test photos I made after my discovery I noticed the ones not exposed to the bright daylight but taken in the (more or less) shadow did not have the arc, the ones taken in the bright daylight did.

So, what is causing this? I made photos a few weeks ago in Switzerland under the same lighting conditions as the ones with the arc but the arc is not on these photos.

I have been thinking: did I ruine the sensor while cleaning it? (I use the SensorSwab and Eclipse.) But the sensor looks undamaged to me. It has got nothing to do with the lens because it appears on the same position regarding the lens used. (FYI, I used the EF100macro, the EF28-70 f/3.5-4.5 mkII and the Tokina 12-24.)

The photos are all shot in RAW and converted in CS2, Only the airplane I left untouched, the others I did some modifications on the camera raw settings like contrast, shadows, exposure (I could not resist to do some 'minor' PP, and to bring out the arc a bit).

Repeating my subject: "Waht is wrong with my camera?"

Does this look familiair (hope not, ). If you want some additional (forgotten) info, say so. Thaks a lot!

-- hide signature --

This one was taken with the sun coming from the left.

This one does not have the arc. It was taken in the shadow of the dike. Sun also came from the left.

Here I was standing in the shadow of a tree.

Sun was behind me, sort of. (Exaggerated the vignetting a bit for the admosphere...)

Sun was behind me

--
Techdokker

Don Dement Contributing Member • Posts: 590
Re: What is wrong with my camera?

You may not have damaged the sensor, but it seems to me that you have left some chemical streaks on the sensor. They may only appear under some conditions.

You might want to test by taking a photo of a totally plain subject such as a dark card or wall, then a light card or wall - something with no detail at all. And do that with both large or medium aperture and again with the smallest aperture to be most likely to show whatever might be on the sensor. I'd bet you'll find the streak on the small-aperture, dark card, but then - give it a try.

You'll need to clean again in any case, so maybe that's your most direct solution. Make sure you're using an approved liquid.

Don Dement's gear list:Don Dement's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M5 +5 more
stevej615 Regular Member • Posts: 396
Looks like possible light leakage or shutter problem

I would try changing shutter speeds to see if that has an effect. I'd waste no time returning the camera to Canon to get it serviced under warranty.
--
Steve

Doug Pardee
Doug Pardee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,899

techdokker wrote:

Repeating my subject: "Waht is wrong with my camera?"
Does this look familiair (hope not, ).

Unfortunately for you, it looks very familiar. Curved white arc from top to bottom at high shutter speeds (1/5000 to 1/8000): that's the unmistakable sign of a failing shutter.

Like Steve said, get it back to Canon while it's still under warranty.

Doug Pardee's gear list:Doug Pardee's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Canon EOS 350D +13 more
Keith Reeder Veteran Member • Posts: 3,725

Impending shutter failure.

I've just got my 30D back from a UK Canon-approved repair facility after a shutter replacement for the exact same thing, with only 5,000 actuations "on the clock".

It's a rare but known issue with the 30D.

I say "rare" problem, but while my 30D was being repaired I decided I needed a back-up body, so I bought a brand new 30D last weekend.

It has the exact same problem!

Ho hum...

OP techdokker Junior Member • Posts: 43

@Don Dement

I cleaned my sensor and that did not made a difference, I held the camera under a lamp to have a good look at the sensor but could not see anything wrong.

@Steve/Doug/Keith

It did not crossed my mind, but it sounds logical. I have shot 5015 photos... That explanes why it does not appear on photos with low light condition (But the flower did 1/8000 @ f/2.8 and ISO400). I will do an extensive test this weekend (I have some warrenty time left and my next holiday is in june...) with various shutterspeeds et cetera.
I will keep you posted.

-- hide signature --

Techdokker

Hi Techdokker,

I really wouldn't bother with more testing - it's pretty certain you're looking at a shutter failure at some time in the future (and maybe not too far in the future either).

I'd talk to Canon about it tomorrow and get the camera sent to a repair facility as soon as possible - I did that and had my 30D back within a week

What is wrong with my camera? --- UPDATE

Yesterday I brought my lens to the Dutch Canon service (www.etbass.nl). Because I had a shoot (not important, but it could not wait on the repair). I did it just yesterday.

I choose to bring it to ETB instaid of the shop. I was a bit afraid the shop would give me a hard time: "no sir, nothing to worry about. What you see is because you have this and that... It is just ... and/or ..." I have a feeling it's that kind of shop. Fortunately, ETB is only 40 km away from my home (but the sad thing it is opposite to the direction of my work...).

I added a CD with the problem RAW-files on it. Just for the proof.

The answer on my question how long it would take, the lady said 2 to 3 weeks, but because it is fairly quite on this moment it is more likely it would be 2 weeks.

2 weeks? Sure! I hoped I would be, because I want to shoot a goodbye party and use the digital instead of my old film camera on a workshop.

Well, I got back from work just now and what was on my doormat? No, not my camera, I asked not to send it because it allways is delevered on a moment I am not there... If you know what I mean. No the pick-up letter. My camera is repaired!

WOW! That means my camera was repaired yesterday. And they told me I could not wait for it... It is just unbelievable. What a service.

Oh, BTW, they replaced the "Aperture/Shutter/Optical unit (parts)" as the letter stated.

To bad I have to wait until tuesday morning... To see if it is realy repaired.
--
Techdokker

Ken. Veteran Member • Posts: 4,650
Re: What is wrong with my camera? --- UPDATE

Nice!

Was it a warranty repair? If not do you mind telling us what it cost? If it was a warranty repair it might be educational to find out when you pick it up what it would have cost if it was a charge repair.

I once was told it was about a $200.00 repair to change a shutter, but recently there was a post that stated about $600.00 to change shutter, mirror box, and perhaps something else.

Ken
--
http://www.pbase.com/ken_5

Sorry, forgot to mention

It was a warrenty repair. Bought the camera july last year. But hey, they say it will last for 100,000 shots? So even if the shutter will stop after the year (or two) of warrenty, can you still claim it? Depends on the proof of the image counter I guess...

What it would cost if it was outside the warrenty I do not know. Searched their site but no info was available. I will try to ask it when I pick it up, that is if I do not forget it...
And I will also ask for the 100,000 warrenty as mentioned above.
--
Techdokker

techdokker wrote:

But hey, they say it will last for 100,000 shots?

Not exactly.

They say that on average you can expect the shutter to last 100,000 actuations - but remember that some shutters could last for 200,000 actuations, which means - on average - that some might not last for one actuation!

The 100,000 isn't a guarantee - though Canon seem prepared to do the right thing here.

Glad the camera is sorted.

Henk Verhaar Forum Member • Posts: 69

Keith Reeder wrote:

techdokker wrote:

But hey, they say it will last for 100,000 shots?

Not exactly.

They say that on average you can expect the shutter to last
100,000 actuations - but remember that some shutters could last for
200,000 actuations, which means - on average - that some might not
last for one actuation!

Duh, MTBF function is not linear...

-- hide signature --

Henkie

@keith:

They say that on average you can expect the shutter to last
100,000 actuations.

Okay, wrong choice of words, you said what I had in mind.

So, this morning I picked it up, made some test shots during lunchtime and no probs.

@ken:

I asked what the price was to replace the shutter. But because the 30D shutter is still in warrenty they do not know the price at this moment. She guessed it would be around 200 EUR.

And if the warrenty period is over and the shutter stops, then it is repaired free of charge if you have not passed the 100,000 shots.
--
Techdokker

Ken. Veteran Member • Posts: 4,650

techdokker wrote:

ken:
I asked what the price was to replace the shutter. But because the
30D shutter is still in warrenty they do not know the price at this
moment. She guessed it would be around 200 EUR.
And if the warrenty period is over and the shutter stops, then it
is repaired free of charge if you have not passed the 100,000 shots.

Thanks techdokker for asking!

It is nice of them to repair the shutter after the warranty period. I wonder if Canon USA would do this tool LOL.

Personally if my shutter went and it cost $200.00 to fix I would do it. Certainly though I would not if the mirror box and other stuff went that would make it a $600.00 repair as someone mentioned here. Considering if one uses continuous burst at the rate of 5 fps it does not take long to get up to that 100,000!

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads