1DIII Release Date??? Help!

Started Mar 14, 2007 | Discussions
JaimeZ Forum Member • Posts: 96
1DIII Release Date??? Help!

I sold my 1dIIn last week on eBay in anticipation of an early April release. I swear I read 'early April' somewhere! Spoke with Canon sales yesterday and they on have "Spring 2007". This includes a separate email to Canon with the same response. B&H lists availability as May. Even my local dealer's buyer hasn't a clue. Hopefully one of you do! I need a camera for a trip to Toronto on 17 April. My goal is to have my mark III by then. At worst, can anyone recommend the cheapest place to rent a body (5d, 1ds)? A quick Google for such resulted in some ridiculous rental fees.

Many thanks in advance!!!

-- hide signature --

'Despite of the cost of living, it's still popular.'

crouvrais Contributing Member • Posts: 884
Re: Conclusion

Never count your chicks until they hatch ...

a++ Cédric

Andrei T Contributing Member • Posts: 508
Toronto you say :)

Funny, cause I live here. We have a fantastic rental place http://www.vistek.ca/rentals/

Perhaps you can arrange something with then when you come.
--
Canon Five D

RobertEL Regular Member • Posts: 297
Re: 1DIII Release Date??? Help!

I would recommend going to your local Canon dealer and putting a deposit down with the understanding that he will lend/rent you a camera for your trip if the new one is not in by your trip.

I find that local dealers (good ones) will work with a repeat customer.

I ordered a III on the day it was announced and as it happened by backup camera a 20D died at an event the weekend before. So I was dropping it off and ordering a III on the same day. As it turned out they where not able to fix my 20D and after the dealer put in my order Canon pulled back on the price and delivery of the III.

My dealer has been great he has called me repeatedly and kept me informed (called the day when Canon told him they where canceling the pre-orders, called just before PMA to say that his Canon rep would call him back after the show with an update. He called on Monday AM after the show to tell me they did not have a price but expected to be between $4,000-$4500 and delivery end of April. He also has told be he would provide me with a backup camera for any assignment needs until the new one is delivered.

It is a good dealership that is why I have purchased 3 Canon DSLR in the last 3 years and several L lens and have recommended several friends to buy their camera from them (probably adds up to as much money as I have spent) .

It is Piepul’s Camera Center in Chicopee Mass..

-- hide signature --
Damkader Senior Member • Posts: 1,361
Re: Toronto you say :)

Andrei T wrote:

Funny, cause I live here. We have a fantastic rental place
http://www.vistek.ca/rentals/

Perhaps you can arrange something with then when you come.

at $525 per week to rent a 5D maybe it would be cheaper to buy a camera and resell it.

Better yet maybe buy a used one and resell it. If you go the used route you might even make a couple of bucks. I bought my 5D used for $1800 almost a year ago and see on listed on craigslist for $2100.
--
Jay
http://www.pbase.com/damkader
Equipment in Profile

Mike Collins Senior Member • Posts: 2,746
You are kidding, right?

There is no one that knows when the MIII will be available. It wasn't the wisest thing to sell your only camera before you knew exactly when you'd be able to get a replacement. Even if Canon had a published ship date, it could still change. There are a myriad of things that could cause that to happen. I think if I were you and needed a camera for an important event, I'd buy a used camera... something less expensive with a lower pricing floor to fall too... like maybe a 20D... and then just use it until the MIII is available.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Mike - Lot's of Canon Stuff

Photographer in the Northeast? NorthEastFoto.com

Mike Collins's gear list:Mike Collins's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
JimG Regular Member • Posts: 127
Re: You are kidding, right?

FWIW, I got an email from my dealer yesterday saying that his Canon Rep told him beginning of May but he still hasn't been given a price yet,

Jim

XYZXYZXYZ Contributing Member • Posts: 936

Well I can't understand the delay as I've had mine now for just a little over a week and what a camera!!!!

Sorry couldn't resist it.

Sue @ http://www.suesbirdphotos.co.uk

Oystein Soreide Contributing Member • Posts: 536
no backup body? (nt)

no text

OP JaimeZ Forum Member • Posts: 96

Thanks for all of the replies. I do not make a living as a photog, but do have side gigs on the books (weddings, family portraits, etc.) I should have mentioned that the Toronto trip is for pleasure only with the Red Sox in town for a few days (sorry!). That said, I do have one job in mid-May, but I should have the cam in hand by then?!

Funny you mention Piepul’s! I have heard nothing but good things about them and live fairly close too. My dealer is Hunt's in Hadley and I have spent a small mint there on glass and bodies. I will see what they say about a loaner if I put a down-payment (or more) on a mkIII.

Thanks again!

-- hide signature --

OP JaimeZ Forum Member • Posts: 96
Re: Toronto you say :)

Hopefully I do have to resort to renting... the prices are so high!

As a Toronto resident, can you recommend places with great shooting opportunities? You know, places I should definitely visit while there? I will be relying on my feet and taxis to get around and will be staying close to the ball park.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

RobertEL Regular Member • Posts: 297

LOL I did not know you where in western mass.

I have been very happy with Piepul’s service.

It’s funny that we have to go to Toronto to see a Red Sox game.

If you are going to a game in Toronto you may want the following http://www.dpreview.com/news/0703/07030805sigma200500mm.asp

To get a close up picture (it may require you to purchase an additional ticket for the game)

-- hide signature --
Jay Bean Veteran Member • Posts: 3,661
Ship, Availability, and Waiting List

Unless you are already near the top (like #1 or #2) on the pre-order list at a dealer that is guaranteed to get a day-one shipment, and unless you have already paid that dealer in full (not just a deposit) -- whatever that dealer thinks "full" is right now -- then you won't have one until July or August at the earliest. The first shipment is already all but sold out to fully paid pre-orders.

JaimeZ wrote:

Thanks for all of the replies. I do not make a living as a photog,
but do have side gigs on the books (weddings, family portraits,
etc.) I should have mentioned that the Toronto trip is for
pleasure only with the Red Sox in town for a few days (sorry!).
That said, I do have one job in mid-May, but I should have the cam
in hand by then?!

Funny you mention Piepul’s! I have heard nothing but good things
about them and live fairly close too. My dealer is Hunt's in
Hadley and I have spent a small mint there on glass and bodies. I
will see what they say about a loaner if I put a down-payment (or
more) on a mkIII.

Thanks again!

TargetSu Senior Member • Posts: 1,609
Vistek... (while in Toronto)

Vistek is the only place in town to rent. however you better book well in advance. I wouldn't expect to be able to walk up to the counter and rent a Canon body as they don't stock many of them.

A Canon 1D Mark II is $525.00 for the week, plus taxes = $598.50. If you're from the US, it's only $511.31 after an approx. conversion of 1 Canadian Dollar = 0.85432 US Dollar. Also, remember you'll need a nice retainer on your credit card. if you have no space for a retainer of about $2500, you're out of luck. They won't release any gear with a retainer.

http://vistek.ca/rentals/rentalsearch.aspx?q=canon%201d

• Paul S.

Disclaimer:
--------------

The comments made here are of my own opinions and experiences. The comments are not meant to be a testament of anybody else’s experiences but mine.

http://www.surettephotography.com

Pastynator Contributing Member • Posts: 925
April in the UK...
SearcySports Regular Member • Posts: 387

This is not true. B&H gets one of the largest shipments in the US and they are not yet taking pre-orders. They have not sold one camera as of today.

Wally
--
Wally Jarratt
http://www.1dseries.com

pprior Senior Member • Posts: 1,681
B&H preorder?

So how do you get on a preorder list at B&H? I buy all my stuff there but can't find the camera listed online. Typically you can only auto-notify for out of stock stuff anyway at their site.

-- hide signature --

Jeremiah 1:5

SearcySports Regular Member • Posts: 387
Ask and ye shall receive....

Actually, like I said there is no pre-order list...but here is the product.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=484813&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I will try and have more info about it in a few days on my website.

Wally
--
Wally Jarratt
http://www.1dseries.com

Ben is in Senior Member • Posts: 1,369

In my opinion, it wasn't wise of Canon to name a specific month as a release date and then change it to "spring." It may not bother you, but it bothers some people.

I also don't think it was wise to state a specific price for which the camera is to sell, and then yank it with no explanation. You may say "well, they can do whatever they want."

While true, it's still a form of bait and switch if the camera ends up selling for $4500. When I preordered, the price was $3999. That's the price that was advertised.

Mike Collins wrote:

There is no one that knows when the MIII will be available. It
wasn't the wisest thing to sell your only camera before you knew
exactly when you'd be able to get a replacement. Even if Canon had
a published ship date, it could still change. There are a myriad
of things that could cause that to happen. I think if I were you
and needed a camera for an important event, I'd buy a used
camera... something less expensive with a lower pricing floor to
fall too... like maybe a 20D... and then just use it until the MIII
is available.

patrick c tom Regular Member • Posts: 449

Ben is in wrote:
In my opinion, it wasn't wise of Canon to name a specific month as
a release date and then change it to "spring." It may not bother
you, but it bothers some people.

I also don't think it was wise to state a specific price for which
the camera is to sell, and then yank it with no explanation. You
may say "well, they can do whatever they want."

While true, it's still a form of bait and switch if the camera ends
up selling for $4500. When I preordered, the price was $3999.
That's the price that was advertised.

Mike Collins wrote:

There is no one that knows when the MIII will be available. It
wasn't the wisest thing to sell your only camera before you knew
exactly when you'd be able to get a replacement. Even if Canon had
a published ship date, it could still change. There are a myriad
of things that could cause that to happen. I think if I were you
and needed a camera for an important event, I'd buy a used
camera... something less expensive with a lower pricing floor to
fall too... like maybe a 20D... and then just use it until the MIII
is available.

Yes there are all kinds of reasons to make something late and more expensive that's why you leave it vague and then you can do whatever you want...being specific and precise and sticking to it is the sign of a well run business otherwise...a word like "approximately" saves a lot of headaches...

I can't believe you shoot weddings and you don't have a back up camera...you might as well get a 20d, 30d or 5d...but don't sell them...shooting a wedding without a backup is a dangerous thing...if your camera goes wrong...the amount of heat you will get...woe...what's your back up plan...hopefully you have a film camera somewhere with a small mountain of film at all times...personally if you're not a pro that needs the speed of the mark III and I mean "need"...why not get a 30d and 5d...the ultimate package would of course be the 5d and mark III...good luck....
--
patrick tom

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads