Printing 17x21 on 3800 unusual problem

Started Mar 12, 2007 | Discussions
HowieB Contributing Member • Posts: 537
Printing 17x21 on 3800 unusual problem

Just tried to print a 16x20 image to a 17x21 paper size. I went through a second time to verify I had everything set up correctly, and it previewed correctly, but only printed a 6 inch wide strip on the right hand side... the bottom 6 inches of the image. The rest was not printed.

Any ideas?

Lawrence Keeney
Lawrence Keeney Veteran Member • Posts: 6,820
Re: Printing 17x21 on 3800 unusual problem

HowieB wrote:

Just tried to print a 16x20 image to a 17x21 paper size. I went
through a second time to verify I had everything set up correctly,
and it previewed correctly, but only printed a 6 inch wide strip
on the right hand side... the bottom 6 inches of the image. The
rest was not printed.

Any ideas?

Which program are you printing from?
--
http://www.blackcanyonsystems.com/Models/index.html

http://www.blackcanyonsystems.com/Photography/index.html

-- hide signature --

Lawrence

Lawrence Keeney's gear list:Lawrence Keeney's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM
OP HowieB Contributing Member • Posts: 537

Photoshop CS.

Lawrence Keeney
Lawrence Keeney Veteran Member • Posts: 6,820

HowieB wrote:

Photoshop CS.

I wish I could help, but I haven't used Photoshop for printing in about 4 years now. I use Qimage for all my printing now, and don't have any problem printing up to 17" x 22" (except for paper feed problems) on my 3800.

You may want to try the free trial version of Qimage to see if it will work if you don't get a satisfactory answer to your problem.
--
http://www.blackcanyonsystems.com/Models/index.html

http://www.blackcanyonsystems.com/Photography/index.html

-- hide signature --

Lawrence

Lawrence Keeney's gear list:Lawrence Keeney's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM
Rick Colson Contributing Member • Posts: 954

Howie -

I'm fairly certain that you have a dialog box/set up problem somewhere. Pease check your settings for page sizes again in ALL the relevant dialogs including "Printer" then "Page Set Up." The only other thing that I've heard of that caused this problems is a faulty USB cable. the easiest fix is to check all the dialog boxes and the second is to try another cable.

Rick

As I said, I went through the dialogs a second time, and even did preview at the last possible time (from the print dialog). All the settings looked correct, as did the preview itself.

I'm on a Mac with ethernet connectivity to the printer.

I was jus thinking I wonder if this is some sort of sensor issue. This is the first time I was using rolled paper, and maybe I didn't do the best job of decurling. Could be that some sensor didn't make contact and the printer decided the paper wasn't as wide as I claimed. I haven't had any trouble before with wider "flat" 13x19.

Eric Chan Senior Member • Posts: 2,800

Which paper feed are you using? Auto Sheet Feed or Rear?

HowieB wrote:

rest was not printed.

Any ideas?

-- hide signature --

Auto sheet feeder, with Museo Silver Rag.

Philip Flower Regular Member • Posts: 165

I've had this problem. It has to do with the mac printer driver not epson's.

You cannot exceed the printer margins allowed by OSX or otherwise confuse the Mac printer driver. If you do you just get an A4 slice of the print on the bottom right hand side.

The solution is simple (well simplish).

First make sure that your system software is set up in the same measurement units as you are using in Photoshop - go to System Preferences/International/Formats/Measurement Units (the separators are tabs within the windows). Actually I am not at all sure whether conformity with Photoshop is a necessity but conformity with your attempts to create a custom page size is essential.

If you are setting up your custom paper size in inches make sure that the system is using U.S. measurements - if in centimeters then make sure it is set up in metric units.

In the Photoshop Print with Preview dialog choose Page Set up and then Manage Custom Sizes. Create a New Custom size of 17x21 (obviously if you are in inches). The critical thing here is that you use the same measurement units as your system software is using (this is what I got wrong). You then have an option for margin sizes, I just checked the box or whatever for the standard 3800 printer margins. Save it.

Now when you go to print preview with your 16x20 image you should see the image centred with 1/2 margins all round. It should print ok now.

As I said I had this problem and it took quite a while to work out what was wrong.

Good luck

HowieB wrote:

rest was not printed.

Any ideas?

howard Regular Member • Posts: 174

I've occasionally had this problem too with photoshop CS2. My set up includes a Mac G5, 4.5 gigs of RAM running OS 10.4.8.

The problem appears to be a some type of software bug which I haven't been able to nail down. I solved by restarting my computer and then repairing disc permissions. Fixed the problem but it does recur from time to time.

Hope this helps.
--
Howard

howard's gear list:howard's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Cerny Most Junior Member • Posts: 49
Same problem with Mac

[grumble]

I'm using the 3800 with Aperture. I set custom paper size for some Enhanced Matte 11.7"x16.5" that I have, and I most often get a cropped view of the photo in the front right corner, perhaps 50% expected size.

However, sometimes it works fine.

Is this an Aperture, Mac, or Epson bug?

Thanks for any advice. It's quite an annoying bug
--
Cheers,
Cerny

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads