SP550 Birds

Started Mar 10, 2007 | Discussions
Stevetynant Junior Member • Posts: 42
SP550 Birds

Hi all

A thread a little earlier said there hadn't been many bird photo's posted with the SP550 to date - so thought I'd kick some off taken earlier today.

Just to note - both the pictures of Grebes are taken at nearly Max digital zoom. - I know its not DSLR stuff but I was amazed at the quality of this. In 3 years of owning a C750 I can count on the fingers of one hand how many digitally zoomed pictures I ever kept - it was a real pleasant suprize - one other was the focus lock which was excellent considering these birds were under a willow tree with plenty of leaves and branches between me and the birds to confuse - anyway hope you like them - please feel free to add

Steve

arco Junior Member • Posts: 36
Re: SP550 Birds

And one more goose shot...

greatgreyowl Regular Member • Posts: 175

You have taken some excellent shots, very well done. What do you think of your cam?

Are bothered by not having IS at all? Are you pleased overall with your picture quality?
Greatgreyowl/Brad

John Box Regular Member • Posts: 263

Thanks for your post and images. I’m the fellow who asked about “bird images”. The first image looks a little soft to me, but it’s at maximum zoom. Doing this without heavy glass makes it a good capture in my book. Thanks..J
--
http://www.picturetrail.com/pa-paw

OP Stevetynant Junior Member • Posts: 42

Hi John

The first 3 are undoubtedly soft but when you consider they, at least the Grebes from what I remember, were maxed out at both full tele and full digital - I thought that quite impressive.

Hopefully better to come when I can use my teleconvertor and don't have to resort to in camera digital enhancement (its like a drug using digital when photographing birds - I always want to get that bit closer and can't stop myself)

I thought long and hard about getting a DSLR rather than this camera - my prime interest is wildlife photography - I know with a fast lens you can obtain much better photos but I don't think I'm ready yet to carry around the heavy lens that I would need to get these shots or skilled enough to get true value from the expense if truth be told.

Who knows where we will be in the next five years when I upgrade again but for now its the right choice for me.

As for using the camera - compared to my C750 which I took along to get some comparison shots - the main advantages I could see were - the feel of the camera - it is excellent to hold, The image stabilization - there is no way I could have got these shots at maximumn digital zoom handheld with my 750, The focus lock I believe is again a big improvement - under these trees with branches hanging in front of the birds and dimimished light I wouldn't have got a lock previously, the viewing screen - you only realize how much of an improvement when you have it next to your old camera. I think there is definitely a learning curve with this camera to get the best out of it but for me, at the bottom of that curve, I'm pretty pleased so far.

Anyway - a couple more bird shots just to keep the momentum up - I can see quite a bit of degradation in these shots now unfortunatelly I'm assuming its down to the compression - could someone tell me what is the average file size I should post in this resepct - I'm trying to keep them as small as possible at the moment but not sure if I'm overdoing it now

Cheers again
Steve

OdileM New Member • Posts: 19

Hi Steve,

I like your photos! I am new to this forum and have only just bought the SP550 too, however I am a real beginner as far as photography is concerned and I only tend to use the AUTO mode! Which mode did you use to take your photos? Did you use the Fine Zoom option?

I printed the manual and read it but unfortunately it already assumes you know what you are doing, i.e. it's all very good to know how to change the aperture or the shutter speed but when should I change it and to what??? What I need I think is an idiot's guide to photography, can anyone recommend a good book magazine? I did start buying a photo magazine a couple of years ago, but again, it assumes you have the basic knowledge, which I haven't got!

Anyway, here are a few photos I took today... Please feel free to comment and tell me how I can take better shots.

Thanks,
Odile

and I cropped this last one:

Sorry, just realised there is a problem with my links!

OP Stevetynant Junior Member • Posts: 42

Hi Odile

I'm pretty much in the same boat as yourself. But I belong to another Olympus group on the net and with this one theres plenty of tips to be picked up. Am looking forward to Lawrence Ripshaws posts on his web log of how to get the best out of theSP550 (His internet name - scaredofthedark - you'll see lots of his posts) aswel.

It might be worth starting a seperate thread on the subject - I'm sure theres lots of knowledgable people who would like to help.

Nice shots of the birds by the way

Steve

Gran_Paw Magoo Regular Member • Posts: 209
Online tutorials that may help. [link]
Re: Online tutorials that may help. [link]

Thank you, I had a quick look and I am now going to study the tutorials.

Mikedigi
Mikedigi Forum Pro • Posts: 11,150
Re: Online tutorials that may help. [link]

Gran_Paw Magoo wrote:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=21427551&q=
--
Regards

Thanks,
The tutorial links are helping me too.
Regards, Mike

Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus Stylus 1s Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads