epson p-5000 vs. alternatives

Started Mar 10, 2007 | Discussions
timned88 Contributing Member • Posts: 957
epson p-5000 vs. alternatives

hi, i was wondering which portable storage solution you folks would recommend. i have an epson p-2000 that i am looking to sell and have never had any problems with it whatsoever. i was looking at the p-5000 as it is a major upgrade over the 2000, but there seems to be a lot of players in this game now. woverine esp (160gb) has twice the HD space and a few hundred bucks cheaper, archos seems sexier but doesnt have raw files listed on it's compatible files info, etc. etc. what are your opinions?

i shoot raw +Ljpg with a canon 5d so the file sizes get very large very quickly. i was intrigued because the p-5000 is rated to copy 2.5x faster than the 2000 and render images on screen 5x faster. there are no mentions of speed among the competitors. thanks!
--
Tim Devine,

owner of The Magic in Pixels (www.themagicinpixels.com) and co-host of The Magical Definition Podcast (www.magicaldefinition.com)

Walt Jennings Contributing Member • Posts: 983
Re: epson p-5000 vs. alternatives

Look at the "Digital Foci Picture Porter Elite," model PPE 360 - up to 120g. http://www.dgditalfoci.com . Nice unit with lots of features including the ability to display raw images.

hollis_f Senior Member • Posts: 1,189
Re: epson p-5000 vs. alternatives

Walt Jennings wrote:

Look at the "Digital Foci Picture Porter Elite," model PPE 360 - up
to 120g. http://www.dgditalfoci.com . Nice unit with lots of features
including the ability to display raw images.

Well, it can display the jpeg embedded in the raw file (but that's the same as the Epson). However, the 320x240 screen just isn't going to satisfy somebody who's used to the Epson's screen.

-- hide signature --

Frank Hollis
Mass Spectroscopist in the UK
Can0n 2oD

Dennis Lathem Veteran Member • Posts: 3,705
I went from a P2k to a...

..P5k for the increased card to device transfer speed. I also like the fact that it would support the SDHC memory cards I can now use in my 1dmk2n.

However, I am somewhat disappointed with the EPSON implementation of USB On The Go (OTG). The P5k "claims" you can connect another FAT 32 formatted hard drive and the P5k will read and write to this drive.

Unfortunately, very few hard drives will actually work this way with the P5k. I have tested a total of 6 hard drives, all formatted FAT 32 and using a USB 2.0 interface. Only one of them actually worked with the P5k.

This particular drive was an older 3.5 inch desktop drive I was testing with an IDE to USB bridge. This would NOT be a practical drive to attempt to use with the P5k in the field.

Naturally, I contacted EPSON about this issue. I went over and over that all the drives were FAT 32 and had their own independent power from the P5k. I was finally told that the p5k was only compatible with some external drives and not all. When I asked for a list of the compatible drives (with two different senior tech folks) I was told they could not find the list.

I was given absolutely NO indication that this "feature" would ever work, or be improved in future firmware upgrades.

This is not a deal breaker for me, but it would be a nice feature if you were out of town for a while and needed to back up to another drive.

Just be warned, I doubt that this will ever work.

I believe that EPSON did not test this feature and now they don't quite know what to do.

I am sure I will need a new PSD in the future, but I will look hard at manufacturers other than EPSON as I am losing confidence that they perform due diligence on their new products.

-- hide signature --

CDL

See Profile for gear stuff
Pbase Supporter

http://www.photobama.com/

thorin rgb Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: I went from a P2k to a...

Dennis,

I read that you consider the sound to be terrible on the P-3000 or P-5000 on a previous thread. I was hoping to use it as a storage device (in addition to its main use as a viewer and organiser of photos) to listen through a cassette converter whilst driving on holiday in a hired car. I'm not after top quality, but will I find it impossible to listen to because of the quality and does it jump or skip?

Dennis Lathem Veteran Member • Posts: 3,705
Yes, I consider the sound

..on the P5k to be quite abysmal. However, I tested it with a pair of high end ear canal transducers.

-- hide signature --

CDL

See Profile for gear stuff
Pbase Supporter

http://www.photobama.com/

Dennis Lathem Veteran Member • Posts: 3,705
sorry...I did

not really answer you before I hit post.

The P5k does not skip or anything like that. I can just hear noise in the background that would appear to me to be the result of poor quality audio circuits in the little beast. The very same MP3 using these same headphones sounds just fine on my Generation 5 Ipod.

-- hide signature --

CDL

See Profile for gear stuff
Pbase Supporter

http://www.photobama.com/

thorin rgb Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: sorry...I did

Thanks Dennis, I get the picture! Is abysmal sound the general concensus of other users too?

Whilst on the subject of the P-5k, does the grading of pictures by star work well, and can you back up all 5star pictures to a Compact Flash card for safe keeping in case the viewer gets stolen?

Michael Kaufman
Michael Kaufman Senior Member • Posts: 2,733
Re: I went from a P2k to a...

Dennis Lathem wrote:

..P5k for the increased card to device transfer speed. I also like
the fact that it would support the SDHC memory cards I can now use
in my 1dmk2n.

How big an SDHC card does it support? I read on the Epson site that only 2GB cards are supported, but I thought I read somewhere else that 4GBs are ok too.

Thanks, Michael

 Michael Kaufman's gear list:Michael Kaufman's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Olympus PEN-F Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
OP timned88 Contributing Member • Posts: 957
Re: I went from a P2k to a...

so is the speed increase noticeable? i am really curious about this one. about how long does it take to copy a 2 gb card?
--
Tim Devine,

owner of The Magic in Pixels (www.themagicinpixels.com) and co-host of The Magical Definition Podcast (www.magicaldefinition.com)

Jerry Hamm Forum Member • Posts: 67
Re: I went from a P2k to a...

Hi Dennis,

I'm wondering which drives you tried with the OTG feature of the Epson that didn't work?

I'm considering this unit, but as a backup I'm also considering something like a HyperDrive SPACE, or some other stand-alone storage unit with a CF slot just but no display in case this one dies. I would really like to go PC-less, but no way would I put my faith in one unit; I need another disk + CF reader as a backup.

This is going to sound crazy to some, but I plan to initially download to the Epson, then copy to another unit if I can find something that works. My issue is with the depth of the CF card slot on most of the other units. Too shallow, and I don't want to risk bending/breaking pins. Even if the other unit has faster download, I'd do things this way just for the peace of mind since the Epson fully encloses the CF card. Don't know why other companies don't have deeper slots; it's idiotic IMHO.

Anyway, just wondering what drives you might have tried to get some feel for what works and what doesn't. I have a P2000 that will probably work, but it's 16 oz. and I'd like to get something in the 8 oz. range.

David Birkin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,022
how about a UMPC???

like yourself i want something on which to store photos.

has anyone considered a UMPC?

the new samsung looks very nice, and has a far more comprehensive feature set than a dedicated storage device, albeit costing somewhat more.

the ability to run photo mechanic, have WiFi, touch screen seems enough.
can also connect a bus powered USB hard drive for back-ups if away for a while.

what do people think?

-- hide signature --

a fair bit of gear, a reasonable idea.

 David Birkin's gear list:David Birkin's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +3 more
Michael Kaufman
Michael Kaufman Senior Member • Posts: 2,733
Re: how about a UMPC???

THe problem for me is you are sacrificing major functionality for better unrelated functionality.

I just purchased a P-5000 because I can take the memory card out of my camera, slip it into a dedicated slot, and hit one button and start copying.

Show me a UMPC that can do that.

 Michael Kaufman's gear list:Michael Kaufman's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Olympus PEN-F Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
Ed Agter Regular Member • Posts: 288
Re: I went from a P2k to a...

Jerry Hamm wrote:

Hi Dennis,

I'm wondering which drives you tried with the OTG feature of the
Epson that didn't work?

I'm considering this unit, but as a backup I'm also considering
something like a HyperDrive SPACE, or some other stand-alone
storage unit with a CF slot just but no display in case this one
dies. I would really like to go PC-less, but no way would I put my
faith in one unit; I need another disk + CF reader as a backup.

This is going to sound crazy to some, but I plan to initially
download to the Epson, then copy to another unit if I can find
something that works. My issue is with the depth of the CF card
slot on most of the other units. Too shallow, and I don't want to
risk bending/breaking pins. Even if the other unit has faster
download, I'd do things this way just for the peace of mind since
the Epson fully encloses the CF card. Don't know why other
companies don't have deeper slots; it's idiotic IMHO.

Anyway, just wondering what drives you might have tried to get some
feel for what works and what doesn't. I have a P2000 that will
probably work, but it's 16 oz. and I'd like to get something in the
8 oz. range.

-- hide signature --

I have a hyperdrive space with 160 gb and works fine. It takes 8gb cards in 8 minutes and the battery last for 100 gb. You don't need a charger on tour! That saves weight! The CF slot is shallow but I have no problem with that and it works fine to me.

I have also a P-2000 and that one takes also 8gb cards but then you need to recharge the battery.

Ed Agter The Netherlands

 Ed Agter's gear list:Ed Agter's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR
Ed Agter Regular Member • Posts: 288
Re: how about a UMPC???

Michael Kaufman wrote:

THe problem for me is you are sacrificing major functionality for
better unrelated functionality.

I just purchased a P-5000 because I can take the memory card out of
my camera, slip it into a dedicated slot, and hit one button and
start copying.

Show me a UMPC that can do that.

The Hyperdrive Space starts copying as soon you put in a card. So you don't have to hit one button not even the ON button! and it switch off after de download is completed.
--
Ed Agter The Netherlands

 Ed Agter's gear list:Ed Agter's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR
Jerry Hamm Forum Member • Posts: 67
Re: I went from a P2k to a...

Hi Ed,

I'm a little unclear if your comment answers my question or not.

I know the Hyperdrive is fast and everything, but what I want to know is if the Epson P-5000 can copy data to a Hyperdrive using the Epson's host USB interface. I want to download the CF card to the P-5000 initially with it's nice deep and worry-free CF slot, and then copy from P-5000 to Hyperdrive. If the Epson fails, only then would I resort to using the Hyperdrive's CF interface to download directly to it.

I realize this sounds a little crazy since the download to the Hyperdrive is so fast, but I think these shallow CF slots are an accident waiting to happen, and I'm just not going to risk it. If I break off a pin, I've not only made that reader useless, but if the pin breaks off and stays in the CF card, then that becomes useless to me as well; at least until I can pull out the pin.

So, do you have a P-5000 and have you copied data to a Hyperdrive from it, or do you just have a Hyperdrive and a P-2000 and you use them independently? I'm definitely sold on the Hyperdrive's speed, but I'm not going to risk using it's shallow slot if I have something better.

Ed Agter wrote:

Jerry Hamm wrote:

Michael Kaufman
Michael Kaufman Senior Member • Posts: 2,733
Re: how about a UMPC???

True, but it isn't a UMPC?

 Michael Kaufman's gear list:Michael Kaufman's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Olympus PEN-F Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
klimber New Member • Posts: 2
Re: how about a UMPC???

Has anyone had success using OTG with the P-3000/5000 to backup to another portable drive? How about backing up to an old IPOD?

I guess the real question is: Is there a PMP with a good screen that can be backed up to another USB drive effectively while traveling?

David Birkin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,022
Re: how about a UMPC???

Michael Kaufman wrote:

THe problem for me is you are sacrificing major functionality for
better unrelated functionality.

I just purchased a P-5000 because I can take the memory card out of
my camera, slip it into a dedicated slot, and hit one button and
start copying.

Show me a UMPC that can do that.

couldn't the above functionality be achieved by the autoplay feature of XP?

consider that the samsung Q1 ultra (in which i am interested) runs XP pro, so can auto detect a card when inserted. one would only require software to autotransfer the contents of a card after insertion.

that said, the Q1 ultra only has an SD slot, but does have USB2 ports, so can use an external card reader.

I admit that the P5000 is easier, but then it was designed with this function in mind.

such a gadget, and even i admit it's a gadget, would be ideal for travelling. need more disk space? take along a USB external HDD. if bus powered wouldn't even need a mains adaper.

-- hide signature --

a fair bit of gear, a reasonable idea.

 David Birkin's gear list:David Birkin's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +3 more
Valentin Hertz Contributing Member • Posts: 513
Re: epson p-5000 vs. alternatives

I had the same question a couple weeks ago and ended up with an Archos 404 because:

-Epson is a brick, good but too big

-Didn't even attempted to go with brands like Wolvorine and stuff...I needed some relability...

Archos is slim (especially the 404 I got)...For long time I looked for slots but now I say why bother?? Just carry a cable and you won't have to worry about slots (CF, SD ...)

USB 2.0 PC + hosts for fast transfer, it does more than anything else I researched...

Note:

Just on a side note, didn't research Apple's junk...I read EU might ban them because of compatibility issues. POS

The above words represent just my opinions, please do your own research..

timned88 wrote:

hi, i was wondering which portable storage solution you folks would
recommend. i have an epson p-2000 that i am looking to sell and
have never had any problems with it whatsoever. i was looking at
the p-5000 as it is a major upgrade over the 2000, but there seems
to be a lot of players in this game now. woverine esp (160gb) has
twice the HD space and a few hundred bucks cheaper, archos seems
sexier but doesnt have raw files listed on it's compatible files
info, etc. etc. what are your opinions?

i shoot raw +Ljpg with a canon 5d so the file sizes get very large
very quickly. i was intrigued because the p-5000 is rated to copy
2.5x faster than the 2000 and render images on screen 5x faster.
there are no mentions of speed among the competitors. thanks!
--
Tim Devine,
owner of The Magic in Pixels (www.themagicinpixels.com) and co-host
of The Magical Definition Podcast (www.magicaldefinition.com)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads