Oly mju 770 SW review and samples finally up...

Started Mar 9, 2007 | Discussions
mosseero Regular Member • Posts: 255
Oly mju 770 SW review and samples finally up...

at http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2007/03/06/Olympus-mju-770-SW/p1

I must say image quality is a bit disappointing to me as I was looking for a sturdy compact to complement my E-1.

Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 20,365
Well, it shouldn't be surprising really...

A few short years ago when Olympus publically proclaimed that the bulk of its R&D efforts will be forcused on DSLR's, one wondered how that would affect their point and shoot line. Regardless of how nice and compact the Stylus series of cameras have become (since this time), the fact is that their IQ were horrible compared to the competition. The main selling points have been build quality and weatherproofing. How we miss the Camedia series and the wonderful IQ that they had (and they weren't built badly either). What a shame to see these silver releases - a whole slew of them - but nothing has improved at all in the IQ department. And as much as I hate to say it, I wouldn't be surprised if the current top of the line SP-550 gets a Recommended or Above Average also. C'mon Fuji, if you just kept the R&D going forward from your previous Camedia series - instead of it going backwards.
--
Have a great day!

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Samsung EX2F Fujifilm X20 Panasonic FZ1000 +22 more
RAC_V Regular Member • Posts: 324
Re: Oly mju 770 SW review and samples finally up...

so am I, but looking at the pictures they are indeed al bit disappointing, then again it is the only underwater camera I could find without using a special housing and 10 mtr is enough for me.

Most of these pictures are taking with low light and the lens almost wide open. Has anyone seen better pictures of the 720SW
--
regards
Ruud

Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 20,365
Geeez, in the last paragraph of my reply above...

I referred to Fuji (what was I thinking). Obviously, I mean Olympus.
--
Have a great day!

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Samsung EX2F Fujifilm X20 Panasonic FZ1000 +22 more
Timskis6 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,565
720SW v 770SW

I'm at work right now so my monitor is all but obsolete, but the 770SW images (quick glance) looked better than the 720SW images I took when I had the camera last year. I seem to recall that noise was present at ISO100 on the 720SW, but I can't confirm that.

At first glance I thought they used the same sensors (they might) but i didn't look into any details on this.

So, at first glance, and without any critical comparisons, the 770SW looked slightly better than the 720SW above water.

I didn't look at anything below the surface, but i wouldn't expect it to excel there anyway.
---
Tim
'Be the change you wish to see in the world.' -Mahatma Gandhi

OP mosseero Regular Member • Posts: 255
Re: 720SW v 770SW

For me noise isn't an issue in those pictures. Softness even in the center of images is more of a concern. Not to mention the rendition of edges is very odd. You can see a lot of edges being doubled rendering the impression of images being out of focus. And of course compression and sharpening artifacts don't add a pleasing feeling to the outcome.

OP mosseero Regular Member • Posts: 255
Re: Oly mju 770 SW review and samples finally up...

Here's another review of the 770SW:
http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3029

Here images are not nearly as bad as in a previous review. Actually they quite ok. Make's one wonder about competence of certain reviewers (mainly for OOF images which were my main concern and now seem to be caused by camera shake).

Ok, CA is still an issue, but this issue one can deal with. Otherwise images are pretty sharp.

So this camera again deserves some consideration.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads