10 Mp vs 6 Mp do you own both cameras?

Started Mar 7, 2007 | Discussions
citytrader Regular Member • Posts: 268
10 Mp vs 6 Mp do you own both cameras?

Hello to all, I would be glad if people that have both cameras for example D40 and D80/200 could post a picture processed the same way and resized to 1280x1024 resolution to show that 10 Mp is the same to 6 Mp, a real comparison.

Will be nice if the picture has shadows to show the electronic noise effect of both sensors...

tom sugnet Veteran Member • Posts: 3,342
Re: 10 Mp vs 6 Mp do you own both cameras?

D70 is noisy, D50 and D40 are not
(all of them have the same sensor, and the same output in RAW)

D200 is noisy, D80 is less noisy
(different sensor, but similar results if you shoot RAW)

D40x is said to have different sensor, but you can expect
D80like results: you have to choose between detail and noise reduction.

-- hide signature --

Feel free to visit my homepage: http://tom.st

tom sugnet's gear list:tom sugnet's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Samsung NX1000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon D5500 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
alexring Senior Member • Posts: 2,191
My test...

Please take a look at the test I did myself. 10 and 6 is not the same. The difference is not big but it's certainly there!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=20692193

Re: My test...
..Also these links for high ISO images...
Sanford Regular Member • Posts: 194

I have the D50 and D80 and in some ways the D50 is the better camera for the 10" prints I make. Better noise control at high ISO for one thing. Also, faster response displaying the photo, bigger lettering on menus, faster flash sinc, and I like the smaller viewfinder image being a eyeglass wearer. At 300 dpi the D80 takes a 13" print while the D50 takes a 10" print, D80 leaves more to crop if the goal is a 10" print so I have to be more careful framing my photos with the D50.

OP citytrader Regular Member • Posts: 268
Not an odd comparison :)

Thanks for the images, in my opinion is not an odd comparison, D200 jpg is 2,8 Mp and D50 is 1,6 Mp, so to make a fear comparison, you must output both to the same megapixels. Looking both image, zooming at 100%, I could not see any noticeable difference, here we can not enter in the discussion about how much to zoom, because the comparison have to be done at the normal usage, I mean, If I print in a page not bigger than the letter size or if I print in a standard size photo, like all the common 6 mp users will do.

About on camera sharpening, it has to be set up in -2 for both cameras, and do not applicate sharpening in photoshop, all of us has diverse monitors with diverse outputs, thus the sharpening result will be different for all of us, and the sharpening method you have to do to a 10 Mp is not the same for the 6 Mp, so I think is better to do the analysis without any postprocessing!...

Best Regards!

Thanks for your answer, if it's not a problem for you, could you post and example, the same RAW shoot with D50 and D80 converted at image size of 1280x1024 for comparison?...
Sharpening to -2, no noise reduction and no postprocessing.

Best Regards!

Could you show an examples resized at the same megapixels for both cameras?... sharpening -2 and noise reduction turned off with same optics.

Best Regards!

Sanford Regular Member • Posts: 194

I don't have a clue how to post photos here. I've never compaired the two cameras in a head to head test, these are just my impressions. I would post some high ISO D50 photo if I knew how.

You could use flickr, pbase, or any hosting picture and put the link here, the picture have to be one from a 6 Mp camera and the other 10 Mp, do not put only one picture because is useless...

Best Regards!

Some RAW crops..

These are 100% crops from RAW images taken with D50 and D200. Lens was the 50/1,8 and everything set to normal. Images were opened with Capture NX , croped and saved as jpegs at maximum quality. Absolutely no PP.
D50 at ISO 200, D200 at ISO 100 ( the best each one can do)

If someone wants to see them equal in size, download them and resize the smaller to the size of the bigger one. (Don't do the opposite ,it's meaningless)

D200

D50

D200

D50

zzzzzzzzzzz Senior Member • Posts: 2,550
Re: Some RAW crops..

Very close.

zzzzzzzzzzz's gear list:zzzzzzzzzzz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Nikon D800 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +14 more

alexring wrote:

D200

D50

Thanks for the crops...

I have resized the D200 to 1288 to fit the D50 sample, obviuosly I'm doing compression from compression but at maximum quality....

The things I saw are more depending to the CCD camera that is much

better than the one in d50, because D50 loose some detail that do not depends on the megapixels... for example the lines are more clear on the D200, but overall, is practically the same...
Will be nice a comparison between D200/D80 vs D40 which has an updated sensor...

Besides all, the images demostrates that there's practically not difference or not noticeable difference between 10 and 6 Mp...

Best Regards!

nkarytia Forum Member • Posts: 85

Για σου πατριωτάκι! Με χαρά βλέπω φωτό με τις συνήθεις Ελληνικές ταράτσες εδώ!
Νίκος!

Niko...

Γειά σου Νίκο, χάλι μαύρο αλλά τι να κάνουμε, αυτό έχουμε...

citytrader...

You did it wrong! Don't downsize the larger photo! If you want to see the difference upsize the smaller one. That's the whole point: How large can you go and still have clear details. If you just intend to print 4x6 inches a 2MP camera is just fine! At A4 my P&S 5MP has (almost) no difference with the D200. But try larger and see. Image Banks don't accept less than 10MP. They know something..

Roy2001 Regular Member • Posts: 200
Re: citytrader...

alexring wrote:

You did it wrong! Don't downsize the larger photo! ..

Agree, you should post 100% crop. If you downsize both to 1024x768 I bet no one could tell the difference. In other way, even if you downsize D50 pic to 1280x960, and D200 pic to 1024x768, I guess we would view them in wrong way.

So this is misleading.

Roy2001's gear list:Roy2001's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Re: citytrader...

Roy2001 wrote:

alexring wrote:

You did it wrong! Don't downsize the larger photo! ..

Agree, you should post 100% crop. If you downsize both to 1024x768
I bet no one could tell the difference. In other way, even if you
downsize D50 pic to 1280x960, and D200 pic to 1024x768, I guess we
would view them in wrong way.

So this is misleading.

Alex, Roy, excuse me, who tell both of you that for the comparison you have to do upsizing?.... WRONGGGG!!!... when you upsize you are interpolating information, in other word, "creating" another pixel because the interpolation

for the comparison you never have to upsize the picture.... you have to put both in the same condition, not to "creating" pixel, is obvious if you interpolate a 6 Mp and compare it with a 10 Mp, 10 Mp will get detail because it has the pixels and 6 "not"....

Come on people, don't do wrong things!!...

If you want to make a comparison you have to downsize to the smaller, in this case you have to downsize ever the 10 Mp.
Of course will be interpolation too, but there is no lost of information.

Best Regards!

P.S. Remember that we are comparing 6 Mp vs 10 Mp in the same conditions, not for enlarging.

nkarytia wrote:

Για σου
πατριωτάκι!
Με χαρά
βλέπω φωτό
με τις
συνήθεις
Ελληνικές
ταράτσες εδώ!
Νίκος!

In english please, I speak spanish, italian, portoghese and english and I write in english...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads