WB Before and After shooting - RAW

Started Feb 25, 2007 | Discussions
Dave C Rasmussen Regular Member • Posts: 148
tag -nt-

N/T

stubbe New Member • Posts: 21
tag -nt-

Stubbe

FearZeus Regular Member • Posts: 461
Re: What is UniWB

I think someone needs to clarify the procedure for getting the UniWB into the camera. I have a Nikon D3x and downloaded the files but can't understand the instructions given. I have Nikon capture NX but I assume when you say NC you mean Nikon Capture? and not NX? I also have Nikon Control but can't find the sheet or green dot and not sure I'm even looking in the right software for it. Can someone clarify on how to get both the linear curves file and the UniWB into the Nikon D3x please, I would appreciate it.

I managed to find the right place to put the linear curve file but nothing happened at all, surely this is not correct?
--
http://www.johnrobinsonphoto.com

Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 29,167
Re: What is UniWB
FearZeus Regular Member • Posts: 461
Re: What is UniWB

Iliah Borg wrote:

Have you seen this thread
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=30757332

Yes, I have read through that thread but the link is to a black image, is it correct to use this image for the Nikon D3x? Also where do I find the linear curve for the Nikon D3x and how to upload both would be very useful. I have both Nikon Capture NX and Nikon Control but must confess to being lost as of how to upload them to my Nikon D3x.

Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 29,167
Re: What is UniWB

the link is to a black
image, is it correct to use this image for the Nikon D3x?

Yes.

Also where
do I find the linear curve for the Nikon D3x

You can make it easily yourself, it is just a custom curve that runs straight from the bottom left to upper right. I use Camera Control for that, "Edit Camera Curves" dialog.

-- hide signature --
FearZeus Regular Member • Posts: 461
Re: What is UniWB

Iliah Borg wrote:

the link is to a black
image, is it correct to use this image for the Nikon D3x?

Yes.

Also where
do I find the linear curve for the Nikon D3x

You can make it easily yourself, it is just a custom curve that runs
straight from the bottom left to upper right. I use Camera Control
for that, "Edit Camera Curves" dialog.

Thanks Iliah,

Ok, so with the black image now downloaded, do I use that as my white balance by putting it on my memory card and using that preset in my D3x?

Secondly, about the curves, my neutral setting already seems to have a linear setting (the line is straight from bottom left to top right already) I take it that I can therefore use that setting?

Thanks for the help, I am looking forward to your answer so that I can try this method of exposure (using the histogram) as opposed to using my hand held spot meter, although It will never replace my spot meter with regards to working out the dynamic range of a scene and giving me figures for determining the grad needed for my landscape work. I do however find it very useful as a second measure, checking the histogram on my camera to confirm my spot meter reading are more or less correct.

Raul Veteran Member • Posts: 8,616
Really miss Ms Borg

hmmm

Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 29,167
Re: What is UniWB

Ok, so with the black image now downloaded, do I use that as my white
balance by putting it on my memory card and using that preset in my
D3x?

Yes.

Secondly, about the curves, my neutral setting already seems to have
a linear setting (the line is straight from bottom left to top right
already) I take it that I can therefore use that setting?

It is showing like that, but you need to go through the the custom curve mechanism to load a true linear one into the camera.

I do not believe something can possibly replace a hand-held meter. I use UniWB mostly not to have a premature warning of blown-out red and blue channels, and for consistency of the images, especially when using colour lights or colour filters.

-- hide signature --
FearZeus Regular Member • Posts: 461
Re: What is UniWB

Iliah Borg wrote:

Ok, so with the black image now downloaded, do I use that as my white
balance by putting it on my memory card and using that preset in my
D3x?

Yes.

Secondly, about the curves, my neutral setting already seems to have
a linear setting (the line is straight from bottom left to top right
already) I take it that I can therefore use that setting?

It is showing like that, but you need to go through the the custom
curve mechanism to load a true linear one into the camera.

I do not believe something can possibly replace a hand-held meter. I
use UniWB mostly not to have a premature warning of blown-out red and
blue channels, and for consistency of the images, especially when
using colour lights or colour filters.

Thanks Iliah,

This thread has been both interesting and helpful, you use the histogram for the same reasons as me, when shooting landscapes at twilight hours the camera's auto white balance will often give a strong blue cast (like film would without the use of filters) and therefore the histogram will report a blown out blue channel prematurely, this method will help fix this issue.

AllanW Senior Member • Posts: 1,308
Re: What is UniWB

Julia Borg wrote:

digitall wrote:

Our Australian daylight is so intense that anything which assists
with attaining precise exposure will be of great benefit.

then use magenta gel filter CC40m in front of the lens, additionally to UniWB.

one of the factors that prevent shadow separation is flare. try to use deep hoods.

AllanW Senior Member • Posts: 1,308
Re: another way, no NC needed

Julia Borg wrote:

in his e-mail Tony Beach suggested a simple way to load UniWB into the camera, without the use of Nikon Capture.

"At DPR you said the only way to install the uniWB was to use Nikon Capture. I have a simple image taken with it using my D200 that can be downloaded and installed into another D200 by simply copying it into an existing D200 folder of a CF card."

here is the image he kindly put online:

http://photos.imageevent.com/tonybeach/mypicturesfolder/junk/DSC_0001.jpg

save it to your hard drive.

"Next take a CF card from your D200 and place the file in the subfolder below DCIM marked ???ND200 so that your camera can “see” it. Go to your camera’s Shooting Menu and to White Balance; then select White Balance preset and choose d-1, d-2, d-3, or d-4 (but not d-0) and select it; scroll down to Select Image and choose the loaded image and press enter. The selected preset is now uniWB."

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads