WB Before and After shooting - RAW

Started Feb 25, 2007 | Discussions
Barry McLaurin Regular Member • Posts: 211
Re: WB Before and After shooting - RAW

Bruce, nobody's doubting your ability to capture wonderful images, regardless of whether you're using UniWB or not. I am merely an amateur (and that's being kind), so I'm sure I couldn't keep up with you in the real world of photography. However, what I'm stating is merely a simple fact of digital photography. The individual channel histograms are affected by the WB setting at the time the shot is captured--that is a simple, undeniable, and indisputable truth. If you use the camera's histograms to critically evaluate exposure, then you must use UniWB in order to make the best possible assessment--any other WB setting will necessarily skew the channel histograms.

Barry

Barry McLaurin's gear list:Barry McLaurin's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +4 more
Julia Borg Veteran Member • Posts: 7,280
Re: But...

I assume the UniWB file you linked earlier is only for D200, since
that's what the OP mentioned, is that right? Is there a D100
equivalent process?

it is for any Nikon dSLR but D1 original. thing is, D100 does not have per channel histograms, and UniWB is less useful with it

-- hide signature --

Julia

brooksdebter Contributing Member • Posts: 724
Re: What is UniWB

I have NC. Can you direct me to instructions to loading these settings in camera? I also have a Mac. Are they compatable?

Thank you for your time. You have been a great source for much information on this forum.
--
regards
Jerry

you need to connect the camera, start Camera Control, then start NC proper, bring the white balance menu, click the "sheet" icon to the right of the green dot (upper right corner), Load UniWB, click again, Write white balance to camera.

you can find this procedure in Nikon Capture Help file.

-- hide signature --

Julia

OP The Developer Senior Member • Posts: 1,615

is this process reversible? how do i set back to the factory WB?

Julia Borg wrote:

you need to connect the camera, start Camera Control, then start NC
proper, bring the white balance menu, click the "sheet" icon to the
right of the green dot (upper right corner), Load UniWB, click
again, Write white balance to camera.

-- hide signature --

Julia

-- hide signature --

-thedeveloper

Thank you again.

So if I understand this correctly, this turns off WB in camera which provides for better histogram evaluation for exposure when shooting RAW? Can this be disabled in camera on the fly (in the field)or does it have to be disabled in NC again? Would you recomend using this at all times when shooting RAW or is that to general?
--

Jerry

The Developer wrote:

is this process reversible?

it is a custom wb, as any other. if you switch to any factory setting, or take new custom wb, that's it - uniwb is not active any more.

-- hide signature --

Julia

brooksdebter wrote:

Thank you again.
So if I understand this correctly, this turns off WB in camera
which provides for better histogram evaluation for exposure when
shooting RAW?

yes.

Can this be disabled in camera on the fly (in the
field)

yes, if you switch to another setting or take custom wb from grey target.

Would you
recomend using this at all times when shooting RAW

only for raw.

-- hide signature --

Julia

Thank you again(nt)
-- hide signature --

Jerry

Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898
NearUniWB for which converters?

Julia Borg wrote:

NearUniWB is very close to UniWB, but works better with some
converters due to some "feature" of those converters

With which converters is it best to use NearUniWB? Currently I'm using NX and ACR. Thanks.

-- hide signature --
Can NX be used to upload WB?

Julia Borg wrote:

you need to connect the camera, start Camera Control, then start NC
proper, bring the white balance menu, click the "sheet" icon to the
right of the green dot (upper right corner), Load UniWB, click
again, Write white balance to camera.

I'm not finding anything in the NX or CCP help about uploading WB to a D2x. Will it only work with NC?
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

Re: Can NX be used to upload WB?

No, NX is crippled in this aspect.

if you want this feature, please e-mail Nikon

-- hide signature --

Julia

Re: NearUniWB for which converters?

ACR has that "feature"

-- hide signature --

Julia

Re: NearUniWB for which converters?

Julia Borg wrote:

ACR has that "feature"

Thanks, I was able to resurrect NC 4 on an old computer.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

another way, no NC needed

in his e-mail Tony Beach suggested a simple way to load UniWB into the camera, without the use of Nikon Capture.

"At DPR you said the only way to install the uniWB was to use Nikon Capture. I have a simple image taken with it using my D200 that can be downloaded and installed into another D200 by simply copying it into an existing D200 folder of a CF card."

here is the image he kindly put online:

http://photos.imageevent.com/tonybeach/mypicturesfolder/junk/DSC_0001.jpg

save it to your hard drive.

"Next take a CF card from your D200 and place the file in the subfolder below DCIM marked ???ND200 so that your camera can “see” it. Go to your camera’s Shooting Menu and to White Balance; then select White Balance preset and choose d-1, d-2, d-3, or d-4 (but not d-0) and select it; scroll down to Select Image and choose the loaded image and press enter. The selected preset is now uniWB."

-- hide signature --

Julia

DaveHutch Senior Member • Posts: 1,975

Haven't got time Julia I'm afraid, but you're welcome to have a go yourself and let me know if the result isn't the same.

I took a shot in daylight and used preset, Auto, 2500K and 10000K, then did a grey point WB in both Capture and ACR.
All shot at 1600ISO

Hate the noise in Capture anyway so they were all horrible in shadows (especially after sharpening).
ACR showed more noise after normal workflow in the 10,000K shot.

Preset and Auto were virtually the same, 2500K shot was slightly noisier but hardly noticable.
--
Dave H
I can only help one person each day...
...and today is not your day!

(tomorrow doesn't look good either!)

DaveHutch's gear list:DaveHutch's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
DaveHutch Senior Member • Posts: 1,975

Exposures done in Maual, all the same
--
Dave H
I can only help one person each day...
...and today is not your day!

(tomorrow doesn't look good either!)

DaveHutch's gear list:DaveHutch's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
williams-pics Contributing Member • Posts: 874

Barry,

I just thought I should qualify my previous statement, 75% of my work is PR and during a session I could be inside with flash sometimes direct sometimes bounced then outside in the sun with fif then some without fif then in the shade with and without fif, it obviously depends on the subject as to which setting I may use, so there isn't time to stop and keep looking at histograms infact I only look at the images after each sequence of 3 or 4 images just to make sure thay have been recorded and in very bright conditions I check to ensure the highlights are not blown, I have saved all the settings in CS2 for the optimum conversion to Tiffs, before changing to digital I shot a lot of transparencies, no preview no histograms etc just experience of when and how much exposure compensation to use, digital does not need to be difficult or complicated just apply the same rules you would shooting transparencies and get to know your raw conversion software inside out, an average PR shoot is usually anywhere between 50 and 150 images so getting it right is essential if I don't want to spend all evening on the computer.
Best regards,
Bruce.

I did this many times, and never saw any difference in raw image data, whatever white balance I tried.

ACR is a separate story. they use white balancing method which is very different from what Nikon recommends.

-- hide signature --

Julia

digitall Senior Member • Posts: 2,223

Julia, could you clarify something? When the UniWB is uploaded to the camera (D2X in my case) this becomes the current preset (D-0). Can I then save this as as one of the presets, say D-1? Then, when I shoot in RAW the histogram display is more useful as an accurate guide to correct exposure. Have I got this right? And in Nikon Capture the white balance has to be carried out by using the Set Grey Point from the drop down menu and selecting a neutral grey in the image. Is this what one does? Thanks.
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads