Elinchrom Style BX "E.4" error

Started Feb 23, 2007 | Discussions
rigidigital Regular Member • Posts: 129
Elinchrom Style BX "E.4" error

Hi all,

One of my monolights has stopped working (on it's third outing). It was working OK then stopped mid shoot. Now it just keeps coming up with E.4 in the display and won't work.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause this or what it means?

I cannot find any error codes for these light anywhere.

Cheers.

Peter Berressem Forum Pro • Posts: 10,647
Re: Elinchrom Style BX "E.4" error

E4 means a fault in the loading triac or caps circuit. Means also: not user repairable / resetable, you have to send it to the service people....
Hope it's still under warranty....;-)

-- hide signature --

cheers, Peter

Germany

OP rigidigital Regular Member • Posts: 129

Thanks for the reply. Yeah don't know about the warranty. I bought the unit from Adorama and had it shipped to Australia. I have to see if it came with an international warranty. If not, I could send it back to adorama, but the cost of shipping could mean that it is just cheaper to get it fixed locally at my own expense. The major pain is that I live in a regional area and authorised Elinchrom repairers are in the capital cities ony

I actually know a technician, although he has no experience with lighting equipment as such, if it was a capacitor that needed replacing or something like that he could do it no problem. Any lighting gear techs out there that have any info they could give me? Feel free to email.

Peter Berressem Forum Pro • Posts: 10,647

Elinchrom lists Kayellaustralia as their rep/sales/service agent. I wouldn't let anyone (seriously!) open the flash but contact them for a warranty repair. In case they refuse a warranty repair, contact Elinchrom directly and complain, attn to the CEO: elinchrom@elinca.ch - alternatively Bogen (the US importer) http://www.bogenimaging.us

They have to take the responsability, claiming to be a proud worldwide-net company

-- hide signature --

cheers, Peter

Germany

John W Peterson Senior Member • Posts: 2,737
Elinchrom has a reputation for good service - at least in the US, and I thought, world wide.

It appears that their units will detect a fault and shut down / refuse to fire under circumstances where other manufacturers lights will obliviously continue to fire or try to fire as a problem worsens.

My experience with Elinchrom repair in the US was excellent, and only one of my 3 elinchrom monolights has only ever needed intervention.

I would agree with the idea of taking this up the elinchrom "food chain" to make sure that a real authorized elinca repair facility be the only folks to open the unit. I would guess that they would fix the unit for the cost of shipping it to them.

paulbuff Senior Member • Posts: 1,107

rigidigital wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Yeah don't know about the warranty. I bought
the unit from Adorama and had it shipped to Australia. I have to
see if it came with an international warranty. If not, I could send
it back to adorama, but the cost of shipping could mean that it is
just cheaper to get it fixed locally at my own expense. The major
pain is that I live in a regional area and authorised Elinchrom
repairers are in the capital cities ony

I actually know a technician, although he has no experience with
lighting equipment as such, if it was a capacitor that needed
replacing or something like that he could do it no problem. Any
lighting gear techs out there that have any info they could give
me? Feel free to email.

This appears to be a microprocessor fault. As such it would be very diffiuclt for anyone but the mfg to diagnose and repair.

Paul Buff

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads