A610, 620, S2IS, S3IS RAW, exposure bracketing and stuff...

Started Feb 9, 2007 | Discussions
ursamajorRO
ursamajorRO Regular Member • Posts: 267
A610, 620, S2IS, S3IS RAW, exposure bracketing and stuff...

Because I cannot post at the thread about RAW hack I opened a new thread.

digicanon, you said:

"If i remember correctly, the prog tells camera that "shoot" is pressed, then that "right_btn" pressed ond so on (three times). In Tv mode "right" button changes shutter. So, if you have turned off the show of the image right after shooting, you'll get a number of images with different exposure."

Yes, it is absolutely necessary to turn of the short preview in shooting mode, otherwise the exposure bracketing will not work. Remarcable!!

ursamajorRO's gear list:ursamajorRO's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Canon PowerShot SX510 HS Canon EOS 550D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +5 more
ursamajorRO
OP ursamajorRO Regular Member • Posts: 267
Re: A610, 620, S2IS, S3IS RAW, exposure bracketing and stuff...

This topic is a split from here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1010&thread=21263144&page=8
because there you cannot reply.

Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Canon PowerShot SX510 HS Canon EOS 550D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +5 more
ursamajorRO

I sent 3 RAWjpegs (made in different conditions) to Udi Fuchs, the creator of UFRaw and he says that we'll take a look and will include WB support for A610 in the future version of his software.

ranocchio Regular Member • Posts: 114

A610 is a great camera and with this hack near perfect in its class!
I finally tried the raw enbler
My first impressions:

1) Noise: I did some experiments in CS2 with NeatImagePro, yes Canon did a very good job with the inside jpeg-conversion and noise reduction, but with a little work the results in CS2 can be a little better. I'll do accurate tests at high ISO speeds

2) Sharpness/detail: the same, the advantage with raw and accurate USM in CS2 isn't big (but there is)

3) Highlights/shadows: there is a BIG advantage (almost for my way of work). With jpeg I always set an exposure compensation of -2/3 (or more), to avoid clipping of highlights (probably due to the S-curve applied). Consequence is lost of detail in the shadow, general big noise level, and limited dinamic range. Now I set no exposure compensation and I open the files in the Adobe Camera Raw! I finally use all the potential of the CCD

4) Color rendition: it seems the converter need a good profile, some colors in the blue and red zone feel a little inaccurate

My suggestions:

1) the procedure for "raw" is a little troublesome: when i start the cam i can forget the firm update. Is it possibile an "always-raw" mode?
2) color rendition: we need a converter calibrated with accurate profiles

3) the next days i will try to build noise reduction profiles for NeatImagePro (different Iso speeds and different shutter times)
4) I didn't try the new beta version, but live histogram is a very good option

Marty Too Senior Member • Posts: 1,204

Can you define CS2 in NeatImagePro?

I can get the hack to work but am lost after that. Working with RAW for an amateur involves a fairly significatnt learning curve.

Is it worth $30?

I found the Neat Image Pro site and now wonder if it is worth it for this free hack. Thanks.

Working with
RAW for an amateur involves a fairly significatnt learning curve.

Yes, it's true... but it's funny

the demo version of neat image is freeware, but only works in 8-bit mode:
http://www.neatimage.com/featuremap.html

Re: Is it worth $30?

Marty Too wrote:

I found the Neat Image Pro site and now wonder if it is worth it
for this free hack. Thanks.

If you like to try without spend money, you can use free software:

ursamajorRO
Re: Is it worth $30?

Please, open a new thread about denoisers. Here we talk about firmware hacks, RAW, exposure bracketing and other facilities added to ours cameras.

gorton Regular Member • Posts: 131

how long does it take to do the bracketing exposure? I found that saving raw continually is pretty slow.

ursamajorRO

I believe that the speed of the memory card is very important. I have an A-data Speedy card and the saving of one RAW+jpeg is made in approx. 1 second. I believe it is not so bad, because the RAW+jpeg has together 8-9 MBytes.

How speedy is speedy? That is how fast is your card and how fast is the fastest now availble?

David Martin Forum Pro • Posts: 17,056
? There is no RAW on my S2!

What are you guys talking about?
--
Regards,
DaveMart

'Just a wildebeest on the plain of life'
Please see profile for equipment

ursamajorRO
Re: ? There is no RAW on my S2!

Just read the thread at the link that you'll find in my second post. You can enable RAW shooting by using a firmware-hack mini-software.

A610 with sandisk ultra II 1Gb: time for saving in raw approx. 1 sec. , perhaps little minus

ursamajorRO

If you have a card reader, you can test the speed of your memory card with HDTach3.
http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=HdTach

ursamajorRO

digicanon, nothing new on the eastern front?

ursamajorRO wrote:

If you have a card reader, you can test the speed of your memory
card with HDTach3.
http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=HdTach

Right, but with this software, how fast is fast enough??? Not worth testing if I don't know what I am looking for.

ursamajorRO

1x speed = 150 kB/s. Fast enough is higher speed. It depends of how faster is your camera processor. Read this article:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11241_7-6355401-1.html
And here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6451_7-6296352-3.html?tag=lnav

ursamajorRO wrote:

1x speed = 150 kB/s. Fast enough is higher speed. It depends of
how faster is your camera processor. Read this article:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11241_7-6355401-1.html
And here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6451_7-6296352-3.html?tag=lnav

What I thought was at issue here is how fast the card has to be to be used with the A610/A620 when shooting RAW - especially when bracketing and thus taking three RAW shots in a row.

Sorry that I wasn't specifically asking that, but that is what I am asking. How fast is fast in the A620? When is the card speed fast enough that it is essentially no longer the bottleneck?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads