How much abuse can the 1D take?

Started Jan 14, 2007 | Discussions
Lawless Forum Member • Posts: 72
How much abuse can the 1D take?

I am a new owner of the 1DIIn. I have not subjected the camera to any extreme conditions or hard knocks...yet.

However, I have been using a 20D for the last 2 years, and during that time I have dropped it from waist high onto a hard wood floor with a the 17-40 attached. On a rolling ship, my 70-200f4 rolled of a chair onto the deck. I have been caught by surprise by down pours while shooting. Not things I'm proud of, but things do happen.

The point is, to my surprise, and much to my relief, all the equipment survived with no ill effects.

The 1D build is significantly better than the 20D. How much abuse can it really take?

I shared my horror stories. Does anybody have some survival stories of their 1d's to get an idea of how tough this thing really is?

Dave Lewis Forum Pro • Posts: 10,425
Seldom any need for repairs.

Some one in these forums last year detailed an accident from a hotel balcony. The 1d and a big L lens fell three or four floors to the cement walk below. When he got down to the street, he picked up the pieces and decided there was no need for repairs. My friend who is one of the staff photos's for the Victoria Sun a couple years ago dropped his Nikon D1 into a canyon of the Frazier River. He decided there was no need for repairs for that one either. Looks like these pro cameras just never need to be repaired.
--
Dave Lewis

Psychic1
Psychic1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,227
My 1D sits on the bank...

...of the river while I'm fishing in the rain and never complains.

Last week a woman used my camera, and I had a problem.
--
Supermodels don't pose in the rain.

Psychic1's gear list:Psychic1's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +5 more
Barry Horn Contributing Member • Posts: 591
Re: My 1D sits on the bank...

A lesson for us all.

David Mazeau Veteran Member • Posts: 4,631
3 years ago...

Three years ago I started a similar thread, this reply, from "Mark J", was
one of the funniest ones:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=7920551

Even if he was only joking (I think).

T_Arkadia Junior Member • Posts: 49
Don't drop it on cement.

I was sitting on a chair on my patio and had my 1DMKIIn on my lap while getting ready to change lenses, my 2 year old was in front of me standing on some blocks, he then slipped and started to fall off of them, well my instincts took over and i lunged forward to grab him while the camera was on my lap.

Needless to say the camera hit the concrete patio and was no higher than 30 inches and received multiple cracks along the right side of the camera, three to be exact, all 3 penetrated the camera walls to the internals, the camera still worked but the shell was completely ruined and had to be replaced.

Yes accidents do happen, they are unavoidable, when i use my cameras they are always treated with extreme care. My 1ds had over 200K on the shutter and never had so much as a nick on it, except from the paint scratches were you attach your flash, which is normal.

AperturePro Veteran Member • Posts: 4,221
Don't use Nikon, don't drink or curse etc.

Canon cameras seem very jealous around Nikons especially. So, not
cheat by putting a Nikon in the same bag. Be discrete if you have
another camera you are using.

Don't drink and photograph at the same time. The really hate if you
come home to the old camera bag and you have had more than your
limit of hard drink. A beer now and then is fine.

Bad language will always cause a err message and is really bad exposure.
Shoot, darn and heck are o.k. they can handle that.

Threat them nice when they are new. As they get older and mature you
can take them to boudoir sessions and rougher sides of town.

The rest is common sense. No one likes to be dropped for goodness
sake. It is a relationship, so be tender at all times.

Good luck..

Lawless wrote:

I am a new owner of the 1DIIn. I have not subjected the camera to
any extreme conditions or hard knocks...yet.
However, I have been using a 20D for the last 2 years, and during
that time I have dropped it from waist high onto a hard wood floor
with a the 17-40 attached. On a rolling ship, my 70-200f4 rolled
of a chair onto the deck. I have been caught by surprise by down
pours while shooting. Not things I'm proud of, but things do happen.
The point is, to my surprise, and much to my relief, all the
equipment survived with no ill effects.
The 1D build is significantly better than the 20D. How much abuse
can it really take?
I shared my horror stories. Does anybody have some survival
stories of their 1d's to get an idea of how tough this thing really
is?

ajax Senior Member • Posts: 1,236
Zip up the f@*$%ng backpack

Reached into car boot and pulled out backpack only to realise, - too late, - that I had not zipped it up. Camera and lens joyfully made a break for freedom.

The fall was not quite as brutal as it might have been, as I was deperately juggling the pack so the camera rolled out onto the concrete floor rather than dropped directly. But no ill effects and not even any significant marks. Even the camera was OK.

Speaking to friends it seems that everyone, one time, picks up an unzipped camera bag. It usually takes only one such bit of idiocy to teach you never to do it again. I am now obsessive about zipping up the bag every time I open it. I have even offered that I will give my kids R50 if they ever find one of my camera backpacks unzipped...

Arky Regular Member • Posts: 434
Re: Don't drop it on cement.

T_Arkadia wrote:

I was sitting on a chair on my patio and had my 1DMKIIn on my lap
while getting ready to change lenses, my 2 year old was in front of
me standing on some blocks, he then slipped and started to fall off
of them, well my instincts took over and i lunged forward to grab
him while the camera was on my lap.
Needless to say the camera hit the concrete patio and was no higher
than 30 inches and received multiple cracks along the right side of
the camera, three to be exact, all 3 penetrated the camera walls to
the internals, the camera still worked but the shell was completely
ruined and had to be replaced.

How much did it cost to replace the cracked shell?

Arky's gear list:Arky's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma DP1s Sigma SD14 Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D Mark II +14 more
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 296
Re: Zip up the f@*$%ng backpack

Had the 1DII on tripod with 17-40. So idiot walked into it while I was setting shot and knocked it over. Lense broken in half camera OK except small crack and the battery cracked around the compartment door. Canon fixed the lens no problem.

Did a similar thing with my back pack the other day, getting out of a taxi and dropped my 70-200, it's had to go to Canon where they are trying to fix it. only dropped 30cm yet they are not hopeful of fixing it
--

1.3 Billion People trying to be the best Capitalists in the World. You've got to Love this Place...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads