Viewfinder D40/D50 Surprise

Started Jan 14, 2007 | Discussions
JEGG Senior Member • Posts: 1,732
Re: Viewfinder D40/D50 Surprise

jimr wrote:

As I said, I did not expect to see such a BIG difference between
the two viewfinders. The D40's viewfinder is so much better and the
LCD is not only large, bright and with a much higher resolution,
but it has a very wide angle of view.

Do you work for Nikon? (I'm kidding, everyone, no flames please.) Really, the vewfinder is a big deal for me.

JEGG Senior Member • Posts: 1,732
Re: Viewfinder D40/D50 Surprise

larsbc wrote:

OTOH, I haven't looked thru the D40's viewfinder yet. I should
give it a try at the local camera store, just to satisfy my own
curiosity.

larsbc

This is exactly what I thought, but most (not all) reviewers have commented on this. I'll probably be looking through one of those later today, and the shop has lots of other SLRs for comparison, including the upper end Nikons.

JEGG Senior Member • Posts: 1,732
Re: Viewfinder D40/D50 Surprise

jimr wrote:

But you do today...so we make choices. Just information to show you
that it is not a D40/D50 issue, but is the same for many more
expensive cameras from many brands.

jimr: Not to continue this thread indefinitely (which I am doing), but I just don't get people not being able to accept your simple statement-that you're pleased with the viewfinder. What is wrong here?

Anyway, you've encouraged me to have a "look see" this afternoon.

gmosc Veteran Member • Posts: 5,950
Re: Viewfinder D40/D50 Surprise

Jegg,

I work in the same situations (business) as you. How is a brighter viewfinder gong to help you? Without flash or focus assist you are going to look through a viewfinder and what? Manual focus? or AF? Are you going to put the cam on a tripod and set it to infinity focus, and take time exposures. I'm very interested to see how it would help your situations. You obviously have some information that you should post to help other people. Just saying that you are in those situations doesn't help anybody unless you explain how to do it. I don't think you've actually tried it and you are HOPING for a brighter VF to help you but that is where the OP is only misleading people and not giving any useful situational experience.

The only useful explanation given so far has been for astronomy. What is your suggestion? A simple explanation could help someone. Don't answer for my sake because you don't need to prove to me but now that you've brought it up, how is it going to help? You've got some people´s curiousity up.

I won't argue on this so don't feel like we are getting into a useless discussion but now that you said it helps explain how.

Guy Moscoso

Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
VF is......

Not bad...it is bigger...a bit. Which is good as the D50 was too small. Though it is still inferior to the A-100 KM cams..and of course the pentax ones..

But a step in the right direction...now Canon need to sort out the 400's VF too..smallest on the market bar the Olympus cameras
--

JEGG Senior Member • Posts: 1,732
No Reason at all in this thread

There is no reason at all in the majority of this thread. The OP was pleasantly surprised by the vewfinder. Why can you not accept his experience? Is it because you are unhappy and just can't get around someone actually ENJOYING THEIR CAMERA?

JinE wrote:

Finally someone said something that made sence in this thread

Saying the D40 viewfinder is better then the D50 viewfinder is like
saying one turd doesn't stink as much as another turd. In the end
they both stink. I beleive the original "voice of opposition" was
trying to find out in a not so eloquent way if the D40's increase
in maginification or brightness is of any actual use, and no it's
not. It's still hampered by the same limitations that the D50
viewfinder has. It's a little brighter so those of you with bad
eyes may have an easier time with composition in the dark. Of
course if it's dark enough to need to rely on the crappy VF's in
the D40/50/70/80 then you'd probably want to use a bright fast
prime lens, something the D40 isn't capable of using. A good
viewfinder sure would make macro work a lot easier.

JEGG Senior Member • Posts: 1,732
Re: You noticed .05% difference huh....hmmm.

Dearest writer: The OP has said he's having a good experience with the viewfinder. PERIOD.

He is not comparing, he is not quoting figures, he is not saying one is better than somethng else. Lots of people, in fact, have commented on the viewfinder. Your rational for the 5% may be true or not.

But it doesn't matter!! The user IS ENJOYING HIS CAMERA!

Frankly, I wonder how many people on these forums enjoy using their cameras at all.

Sarajean wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/page4.asp

Brighter maybe - but thats about it.

JEGG Senior Member • Posts: 1,732
Re: Viewfinder D40/D50 Surprise

Dear g,

I do thank you for replying, but you really just don't get it. You want to quantify other peoples' experience according to your own ways of thinking and evaluating.

To write more would be pointless.

I'm not trying to be unpleasant or anything, but you really need to let other people be other people. I would be quite an unhappy person if I tried to make everyone else in to a version of me, and I suspect the people around me would be very annoyed!

sweet molly malone Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: I noticed it also...

jimr wrote:

It is funny how a simple statement about the VF has carried on and on!
I have never knocked the D50. It IS a wonderful camera. It has its
pluses and the D40 has its pluses. You choose which assets are more
important to YOU as an individual and go on from there. The nice
thing is that we have two excellent choices!
An informed consumer with facts rather than a 'mine is better than
yours attitude' helps. This is not about competition between the
two, rather choices about which fits your needs best. To make that
choice, you need to know the pluses and minuses of both. That
was/is the intent of my OP. A simple statement about the VF with on
observation of a demostrable difference that I had not read about
and that others might benefit from knowing about. Hold both cameras
to your eye and you'll see why I was surprised.

I dont remember claiming you'd knocked the D50 (correct me if I'm wrong for sure). Never mind.

Molly

-- hide signature --

Molly

JEGG Senior Member • Posts: 1,732
Re: Viewfinder D40/D50 Surprise

gmosc wrote:
OP is only

misleading people and not giving any useful situational experience.

This is EXACTLY what the OP did. He told of his experience!!!!!

The only useful explanation given so far has been for astronomy.

Where does the writer say anything about astronomy.

What is your suggestion?> Guy Moscoso

I don't have any suggestions. There is nothing in the writer's experience that requires a suggestion! He is happy, why would he need a suggestion?

It was nice to hear that someone ENJOYS their camera. Do you enjoy anything in life, or are you always wrapped up in making others justify their experience and emotions in terms that only make sense to your somewhat questionable "inner computer?"

The OP was NOT REQUESTING NOR NEEDING SUGGESTIONS!!!!!

What does astronomy have to do with anything regarding the OP??

What is your EXPERIENCE of looking through the viewfinder of the D40? No numbers please, I want to hear of your EXPERIENCE.

gmosc Veteran Member • Posts: 5,950
Re: Viewfinder D40/D50 Surprise

Jegg,

Calm down.

Just a couple of lines up, if you read what Rick posted he talked about astronomy. He tried to explain how a bright view finder could help
here is the link....

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=21662538

If you truly want help as to what settings to use for indoor shots of setting up for gigs and rehearsals I can give the info. Just say so and i'll start a new thread. f1.8 lenses are extremely helpful. I can even upload some pics I took today to my smugmug account if you really want help. Because smugmug doesn't report the correct EXIF I'll have to go out of my way and copy it for you. Let me know if you really want it and aren't too angry. I have pictures also using my F2.8 lenses.

Always willing to help (if you can believe it).

Guy Msocoso

Sarajean Senior Member • Posts: 2,988
Re: You noticed .05% difference huh....hmmm.

JEGG wrote:

Dearest writer: The OP has said he's having a good experience with
the viewfinder. PERIOD.
He is not comparing, he is not quoting figures, he is not saying
one is better than somethng else.

Read the post dork.

"I knew how much better the D40 LCD panel would be compared to the D50/D70, but what really surprised me was how very much brighter and better the viewfinder on the D40 is."

Rick Sterling Contributing Member • Posts: 918
Re: Rick

Yes.

That's why I said, "depending on the design". I wasn't claiming this benefit for the D40 but included it as a possible benefit for cameras that have sensors in the VF.

Sorry for the confusion.

Rick

TheronFamily wrote:
Rick Sterling wrote:
hi.

Depending on the design,
even auto-focus and auto-exposure may benefit greatly from a fast
VF system.

not so.
The D50 has dedicated AF and metering sensors. The light thru the

[snip]

Hope this helps.

deanx0r Regular Member • Posts: 212
Re: Viewfinder D40/D50 Surprise

jimr wrote:

I knew how much better the D40 LCD panel would be compared to the
D50/D70, but what really surprised me was how very much brighter
and better the viewfinder on the D40 is.

I haven't noticed noticed anything in particular with the D40 viewfinder. It seemed normal to me, but I've no DSLR experience prior to the D40. My friend has a Rebel XT I sometime toy with, but it's not much of a difference for me to notice.

The other day however, I got to play with a EOS 1D (film), and I have to say there was quite a difference between the 1D and the D40. The 1D viewfinder was just much much bigger, and brighter. So much that it allows you to evaluate each angle/view under a different perspective.

I am not what made the 1D VF much brighter and bigger... is it the type of penta-mirror used, or the fact that it is a film camera?

johnr28 New Member • Posts: 4
Re: The original post helped me!

Hi, I haven't gotten to the end of this rather amusing thread yet, but I love mine. It's a serious camera, don't let the "coming from a point and shoot" nonsense throw you off. You can just "point and shoot" like you can with any DSLR, but you can also whack an old manual focus lens on there, set it to manual mode, and wa la! Heaven. Or at the least, fun. Give it a try.

Darrell Turner wrote:

I'm looking for a new DSLR and any post from someone who actually
owns and has used this camera is an added data point in my purchase
decision.

Mofongo Forum Pro • Posts: 14,863
Name calling over a viewfinder??

Sarajean wrote:
Read the post dork.

Very mature...

"I knew how much better the D40 LCD panel would be compared to the
D50/D70, but what really surprised me was how very much brighter
and better the viewfinder on the D40 is."

I noticed the same thing and I have a D50 and a D70...

The D40 VF being brighter threatens you in what way?

Sad, very sad...

Bob

-- hide signature --

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to pick on rich women than biker gangs.

http://www.pbase.com/mofongo

Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 13,951
Re: Name calling over a viewfinder??

Mofongo,

The OP:

"I knew how much better the D40 LCD panel would be compared to the D50/D70, but what really surprised me was how very much brighter and better the viewfinder on the D40 is."

JEGG:

"He is not comparing, he is not quoting figures, he is not saying one is better than somethng else."

Sarajean pointed out that JEGG's statement is wrong, and the OP did, in fact, compare and say one is better than another. (Sarajean could have used more suitable wording)

However, I'm not sure why you imagine anyone feels threatened.

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

Mofongo Forum Pro • Posts: 14,863
Re: Name calling over a viewfinder??

Patco wrote:
The OP:
"I knew how much better the D40 LCD panel would be compared to the
D50/D70, but what really surprised me was how very much brighter
and better the viewfinder on the D40 is."

JEGG:
"He is not comparing, he is not quoting figures, he is not saying
one is better than somethng else."

Sarajean pointed out that JEGG's statement is wrong, and the OP
did, in fact, compare and say one is better than another. (Sarajean
could have used more suitable wording)

The wording and attitude was very wrong and immature...

However, I'm not sure why you imagine anyone feels threatened.

Well, when people resort to name calling and over analysing a simple positive observation about the D40 it comes across as being insecure about their old camera...

This happens here every time a new camera comes out. People feel the need to defend their current old camera...

It's not my imagination, other people notice it also...

It's only a camera...

Sigh...

Bob

-- hide signature --

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to pick on rich women than biker gangs.

http://www.pbase.com/mofongo

JEGG Senior Member • Posts: 1,732
Yes, I am wrong-or maybe not...

Mofongo wrote:

Patco wrote:
The OP:
"I knew how much better the D40 LCD panel would be compared to the
D50/D70, but what really surprised me was how very much brighter
and better the viewfinder on the D40 is."

JEGG:
"He is not comparing, he is not quoting figures, he is not saying
one is better than something else."

Sarajean pointed out that JEGG's statement is wrong, and the OP
did, in fact, compare and say one is better than another. (Sarajean
could have used more suitable wording)

The wording and attitude was very wrong and immature...

However, I'm not sure why you imagine anyone feels threatened.

Well, when people resort to name calling and over analyzing a
simple positive observation about the D40 it comes across as being
insecure about their old camera...

This happens here every time a new camera comes out. People feel
the need to defend their current old camera...

It's not my imagination, other people notice it also...

It's only a camera...

Sigh...

Bob

For a "point of fact," I was indeed wrong. The post struck me more as a person who was surprised a little by how much he enjoyed is D40 for whatever. I took it as personal experience, and not as a statement of fact. If you simply read the words of the OP, I was wrong.

HOWEVER -if you read the balance of the posts by the OP, I think you will find that his remarks WERE intended as a personal experience-that he just liked the camera. He never argued with anyone, he just said that was his experience.

Memory lane: Only a very few months ago, the D50 was not even considered a real camera on these forums. Only the D70 and up were considered "real cameras." Just read the posts.

Then when the D40 was announced, and before it was even produced, the forums were full of vitriol and suddenly everyone wanted a D50, previously looked down upon. Nikon and the world were coming to an end when the D40 was released.

So the people who ran out to get the D50 (the last "real" camera) now are disappointed that the D40 is a darn good camera, has a different feature set, and is less expensive.

The collective now is upset because they wanted the D40 to be a toy and it isn't. It seems to really sit in peoples' craw that others seem to be enjoying this camera that the collective is supposed to hate. And, what are we to make of the outrageous people who have the nerve to enjoy this camera, when by the collective thought it should not be a good camera, therefore, how can people enjoy it?

To put it more succinctly, if you enjoy the D40, you are wrong about something.

It seems as if there always has to be a camera that is "not accepted," because in these forums many people can only define themselves and their cameras by what and who is excluded.

After awhile the D40 will be accepted, and then in a year and a half, there will be another new camera, and we will all go through this again.

But I am disappointed by peoples' reactions and feelings getting squashed by others who seem to use their photographic activities and cameras as a means to focus negative energy on experiences of other writers of the forum.

I think that technique and knowledge are crucial, but they are only jumping off points for creating art. And art can be made by gifted people who don't have the theory (maybe "theology').

It's the same analogy as with the cameras: Someone always has to be "not in my group," whatever that group is.

My other mistake here has been in writing too much in the "opposition," which is a habit I'll try to break; as it just sort of keeps the dynamic going that I seem to be be trying to discourage.

Darrell Turner
Darrell Turner Contributing Member • Posts: 588
Re: The original post helped me!

I went to the store yesterday and grabbed a D40. I have a family event coming up in 3 weeks and wanted to get familiar with the camera before then. This is the shot I took in the store to see how the camera felt and performed.

 Darrell Turner's gear list:Darrell Turner's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads