Viewfinder D40/D50 Surprise

Started Jan 14, 2007 | Discussions
lucky pierre Contributing Member • Posts: 649
Re: Viewfinder D40/D50 Surprise

That's my point. You shouldn't have to spend $5000. on a camera for a VF which provides a 100% field of view. No matter how big or bright these other viewfinders are, they would be better with full field of view.

OP jimr Forum Pro • Posts: 11,405

I have no doubt that if I had legacy lenses the wonderful D50 would remain my first choice. In no way do I question that the D50 is a wonderful camera that is capable of producing superb images. IMHO if the lens selection for the D40 is sufficient (it is a continously growing list and it is more than sufficient for ME) then the D40 has many other advantages over the D50 that can be important. You look at your own needs and what lenses you already own and make your choice. It's all about choice and tradeoffs. That's a good thing. I have no doubt for some the D50 is the better choice. I have no doubt that for others the D40 is the better choice. This is not a controversy, just hoping to make the decision an informed one that makes each individual happy. Knowledge.... not arguement.

Stujoe wrote:

I figured you had them turned on. Nothing that I need compared
because I won't be looking for a new dSLR for quite a while but
thanks for the offer. I really think the D40 is a great camera. I
just can't afford it for what I want to do.

Jim Modesto Regular Member • Posts: 322

If you dont have the Camera and have real world experience with it SHUT UP!

If you like your camera go ahead tell us what you like and dont like.

I dont have a D200 so I will not comment on it. I have a D70. Is there room for improvement... yes. But there will always be that.

The D40 does have a great LCD and viewfinder. Much better than the D70. But it doesnt have some features that the D70 has. No problem. Still from a person coming from P&S it will be a huge jump. Do you have any idea how many people will only buy the kit and thats it. We are not all in this to build a huge collection of camera gear.

What I dont do is test the camera to the 9th degree. I go out and take pictures and have fun. Some are really good that I am proud of, some are your everyday snapshots.

Stop wasting your time measuring everything and bashing the shortcomings of some models. Get out there and have fun, TAKE PICTURES!!!
--
Jim M
Burlington, Ontario, Canada

Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 13,944

jimr wrote:

D80 and D200 are the same 95% as are the Canon 20D, Canon 30D,

They have the same frame coverage, but the D80 & D200 have a viewfinder magnification of 0.94x, and the 30D is 0.9x, while he D40 is 0.8x
t
--
Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

But you do today...so we make choices. Just information to show you that it is not a D40/D50 issue, but is the same for many more expensive cameras from many brands.

lucky pierre wrote:

That's my point. You shouldn't have to spend $5000. on a camera for
a VF which provides a 100% field of view. No matter how big or
bright these other viewfinders are, they would be better with full
field of view.

Brad Waldera Veteran Member • Posts: 5,697

I only have a D50, if I'm the Brad you're referring to.
--

A Father Best Teaches His Children By Who He Is and By What He Does.- From a picture frame I bought.

http://allmeans.smugmug.com/

Thomas Comerford Veteran Member • Posts: 9,745

gmosc wrote:

Brad,
The VF brightrness issue you talk about has to do with the fact
that aperture can be closed on the lens when there is no power.
That naturally gives less light and makes the VF darker. Some
people notice that in a store when there wasn't a charged battery
in the camera.

The "dim viewfinder" effect is caused by the fact that no power is being supplied to the LCD overlay in the viewfinder. The crystals in the LCD are not aligned and scatter the light, make the viewfinder appear dark.

It has nothing to do with the aperture. The aperture gets opened when you twist the lens onto the camera, and stays that way until you take a picture, press DOF preview, or remove the lens. A loss power will not cause the aperture to change size.

He was talking about frame coverage.

gmosc Veteran Member • Posts: 5,950

Thomas, you are totally right on that! Thanks for the correction. I knew I should have followed that thread to it's completion when i read it!

Brad you bought a D70 as a back up a while back didn't you? I guess you got rid of it. And by the way, listen to Thomas not me!

Guy Moscoso

Thomas Comerford wrote:

gmosc wrote:

Brad,
The VF brightrness issue you talk about has to do with the fact
that aperture can be closed on the lens when there is no power.
That naturally gives less light and makes the VF darker. Some
people notice that in a store when there wasn't a charged battery
in the camera.

The "dim viewfinder" effect is caused by the fact that no power is
being supplied to the LCD overlay in the viewfinder. The crystals
in the LCD are not aligned and scatter the light, make the
viewfinder appear dark.

It has nothing to do with the aperture. The aperture gets opened
when you twist the lens onto the camera, and stays that way until
you take a picture, press DOF preview, or remove the lens. A loss
power will not cause the aperture to change size.

scott ian k Junior Member • Posts: 48

I shall be buying the D40 due to its better viewfinder, and would do so evne if the Rebel Xti were the same price. Thats how important it is to me personally. If i want a lot of other features, i wont choose the D50/70, I would choose the D80 with even BETTER viewfinder. Those who say the D40 viewfinder is not sufficiently better to assist with manual focus just are being silly. Anything that lets you see better will increase manual focus potential.Its not rocket science

-- hide signature --

Equipment: Sony DSC-S75

Stujoe Veteran Member • Posts: 5,856

jimr wrote:

it is more than sufficient for ME)

And that is what is important and I agree with you. Different people have different needs and different budgets and those can be satisfied in different ways. If that wasn't case, each manufacturer would only make one model. lol

There are a lot of circumstances where I would recommend a D40 to someone. Match it up with an 18-200mm VR or with the kit lens and a 70-300mm VR and it would be a pretty cool combination either way.

One thing...I am not sure I would describe current production lenses by a number of different manufacturer's as 'legacy' lenses but that is a quibble. Now, if Nikon eliminates motors in the rest of their dSLR line, I reserve the right to change my mind on that terminology;)

-- hide signature --

Stujoe -
http://www.flickr.com/people/stujoe/

Nikon D50 (Nikon 18-55mm, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro, Vivitar 2x Macro Teleconverter)
Panasonic FZ7

Neocon
Neocon Senior Member • Posts: 1,181
...that's why I got a D80

Because of the brighter, larger, higher magnification viewfinder. Their LCD was also better than the D70 or D50. I wanted a viewfinder close to what was in my Nikon film SLR. Before I purchased the D80, I also handled a D40. Was impressed by its LCD and viewfinder. But, found the D80 viewfinder was larger and had a pentaprism not porroprism. Since I already owned Nikkor autofocus lens, I do not want to return to manual focusing via the D40. For someone starting without Nikkor lenses, the D40 gives you a lot for your money.

Neocon's gear list:Neocon's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Samyang AF 24mm F2.8 FE
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 13,944

Thomas Comerford wrote:

The "dim viewfinder" effect is caused by the fact that no power is
being supplied to the LCD overlay in the viewfinder. The crystals
in the LCD are not aligned and scatter the light, make the
viewfinder appear dark.

Absolutely true

It has nothing to do with the aperture. The aperture gets opened
when you twist the lens onto the camera, and stays that way until
you take a picture, press DOF preview, or remove the lens. A loss
power will not cause the aperture to change size.

Actually, a lens with a large max aperture, say f1.4, will allow more light to enter the camera while composing than a lens with a smaller max aperture, say f3.5. herefore, a larger aperture lens will have the effect of making the viewfinder brighter.

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

I woul d love to own that combination. Add the 30 F1.4 Sigma HSM that funtions 100% with the D40 and I'd be in heaven!

Stujoe wrote:

There are a lot of circumstances where I would recommend a D40 to
someone. Match it up with an 18-200mm VR or with the kit lens and a
70-300mm VR and it would be a pretty cool combination either way.

richarddd
richarddd Veteran Member • Posts: 3,299

jimr wrote:

Thank you! I was truly shocked and disappointed that a simple
observation could bring forth such uncalled for venom and an
'entitlement' to mind reading assumptions. Thank you for
understanding.

Your post was very helpful and consistent with the idea of this forum. Thw comments of those who bashed you were totally inappropriate.

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Brad Waldera Veteran Member • Posts: 5,697

No backup, just the D50.
--

A Father Best Teaches His Children By Who He Is and By What He Does.- From a picture frame I bought.

http://allmeans.smugmug.com/

Darrell Turner
Darrell Turner Contributing Member • Posts: 588
The original post helped me!

I'm looking for a new DSLR and any post from someone who actually owns and has used this camera is an added data point in my purchase decision.

Darrell Turner's gear list:Darrell Turner's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
TorqueDesign New Member • Posts: 10

I just picked up a great deal on a D50 with a Nikkor 18-135 lens and noticed the viewfinder to be a bit small/dark also (I had handled both the D50 and D40 before buying, and the VF on the D40 is superior) - so I bought a Nikon magnifying viewfinder adapter from Adorama and it works great. A bigger, brighter VF really does make a difference, even if you're not manual focusing!

As far as upgrading and/or downgrading to, or from, a D50/D40... well, these perspectives are just a matter of opinion. Anyone could go on and on about which camera "rocks" and which one "sucks" (and many people have , as you can tell by the number of D40 vs D50 threads here). Neither camera has all the features of the other one, so I think it's more about what features someone wants. Either way, they both take GREAT shots.

scott ian k Junior Member • Posts: 48

TorqueDesign

Would you say that add on makes the viewfinder as good..i cant imagine it would end up being as bright. All other things aside, just curious about that attachment
--
Equipment: Sony DSC-S75

shades_uk Senior Member • Posts: 1,412
I guess it's like many other things...

When I got my 19" monitor it seemed so much bigger and better. Now I want a 21". However I doubt one would make my post-processing any better.
--
http://www.mark-reed.co.uk

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads